Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what is a good guitar body cleaner

Megadeth420247

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

search this forum for "cleaning" or "polishing" and you'll get a bunch of info.

For me, for regular cleaning after rehearsal or gig, I don't use anything but a soft cotton cloth (go to Walmart, etc., and buy some cotton baby diapers, not the disposables, but the old fashioned kind).

When I change strings, I will occassionaly use some Martin Guitar Polish to clean up the axe.

I think the key is wiping off the guitar EVERY time it's handled . . . this will keep the sweat and oil off the finish. I've found it's this build up that becomes an issue on the finish.

When I gig, I will usually have 2 or 3 cloths hanging on the guitar rack so there's always one easily available. I'll wipe the strings and upper bout (the area where my arm hits) during the gig (when I'm pausing for a drink or switching guitars) and after.

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

Yeah, an all-cotton cloth is a must. Many other fabrics will leave fine scratching that will build up over time.

For the most part, just breath on the guitar to kinda "fog it up", and then buff it with that all-cotton cloth.

I like GHS "New Age" guitar polish (actually, technically not really a "polish", as it contains no abrasives) and that "Trick" pump-spray cleaner polish.

You apply the GHS New Age Polish and let it dry, and then buff away the powdery stuff. It absorbs oils and sweat-residue and the like and really does an outstanding job!

I then like to follow up with the Trick, as it repels dust and smoke residue, kinda anti-stat like.

Don't use the GHS New Age on bare, unfinished rosewood or ebony (like a fretboard) as it will leave a white, powdery residue in the open woodgrain, etc. But it rules on finishes!

(On finished rosewood or ebony it's fine, though.)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I use a good "fine furniture" cleaner with lemon or orange oil on all my acoustic instruments.

There are lots of good products but on thing to avoid, from all reports, and particularly on acoustic intruements, is any product with silicone in it. From what I understand, the silicone will, very often, affect the glue that binds the various parts together and may also have a detrimental effect on some of the lacquer finishes.

On a side note; take care when you store a guitar with a lacquer finish on a stand or hanger. Some of the material that cushions the guitar may, in fact, react with the lacquer and cause the finish to bubble or craze.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I read in some guitar repair book that to clean the grime off of your fingerboard, just get a little saliva on a t-shirt. Well its gross but it works. I have very sweaty hands so now I clean my fingerboard whenever I change strings. The grime comes off really easy. Now I can tell people not to play my guitars because I spit all over them hehe.

I've had excellent results using orange oil with a clean chami...I'm not sure how you spell it but it works very well. Also clean/treat fretboard (rosewood) with a premium bore oil.

SEHpicker

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

As far as fretboards go, I'd use that "Trick" brand cleaner, and follow it with a good rubbing of lemon oil, as long as there's no silicon in it.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived