Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gate or Downward Expander on a Guitar

alcohol

Playing live with a Marshall DSL 50 and a Schecter with humbuckers I get feedback or a kind of whoosh when I stop and the amp is set loud. I have to turn the volume knob of the guitar down to stop that sound.

Anyone use a downward expander or a noise gate to hush the guitar when not playing? What would be the best technique for eliminating this problem?

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis

maintain their neutrality."

[Dante Alighieri] (1265-1321)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had similar noise troubles with a "red-knob" Fender Twin years ago, that were only exacerbated by the abysmally bad A.C. scenarios in most bars, clubs, etc. I patched a Boss (NS50?) half-rack space sized downward expander-type noise suppressor into the effects loop of the amp, before the Digitech DSP multi-effects processor that I had at the time. It worked wonderfully, with almost no perceivable cutting off of the envelope's decaying tail.

When a friend needed some noise control for the rack set-up he was gigging with at the time, I ran a patch from the headphone jack of his rack-mount tube preamp to the "sidechain" style trigger-input of the Boss noise suppressor, and turned up the 'phone volume level pretty high. This then controlled the "gate", and provided the absolutely best tracking of a noise-gate that I've ever, ever heard. Flawless following of the decaying notes, yet closing the gate on noise most satisfactorily.

You don't see these various types of noise suppressor units as much since racks went out of vogue, but they're still out there, perhaps you could even score a used Rocktron "Hush" for a good deal. Good luck, and post back to let us know how things work out!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I used to use a DBX gate to quiet my amp when I wasn't playing. I put it first in my FX loop so it wouldn't kill the trails of my effects. Real simple to use- a threshold knob and a downward expansion fader. Can't remember which model it was, but it was a half rack size & was real inexpensive. You could probably find one on eBay.
Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

Thanks,

I think we're going to try this this Monday, we have a gig in Cambridge MA, so that'll be a good place to try it out. I like the idea of putting it in the FX loop. My son is really basic player, only FX are the amp's reverb and a wah wah, so maybe this will not be too hard to set up.

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis

maintain their neutrality."

[Dante Alighieri] (1265-1321)

Archived