Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quickie on EMG pickups

alanfc

Hello , I have

one question on these two, I'm only going to buy one for the bridge to replace my "Duncan Designed" bridge position pickup on my Schecter

for more chunky staccato heavy rythym playing which would be better: the "hotter" EMG 85 or the "brighter" EMG 81? These descriptions are from some other guy describing the difference between the two.....

I'm talking about a Meshuggah-type sound. I guess whichever one is cleaner or tighter (?) would be my question. I can always change my amp to give it whatever it needs but if by its nature , one or the other is "looser" I'd pick the tighter one.

Does this question make sense?

thanks

Rivera + Fender Strat

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, the "hotter" one was designed with heavier chunk-tones in mind, while the "brighter" model is closer to the sound of a vintage humbucker. Well, sort of- if you ran a vintage hb into a compressor/clean-boost of some kind. But, yeah, you'd be best served by the "hotter" model.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Nothing wrong with the EMG's, but if I remember correctly, Meshuggah's guitars don't use any active pickups or active EQ.

The Ibanez guitars they use have (I think) custom DiMarzio pickups (their Universe models use the Blaze pickups), and their 8 string Nevborn models use a single Lundgren bridge humbucker.

Yea I guess I was just trying to think of any guys with a sound that was similar to what I'm looking for. I know alot of it is their amps and technique and studio stuff too...

Basically if its an adjective used in the pickup business, "tight" is what I'm looking for, if indeed there is a character. I don't know squat about pickups. I see it doesn't have to be EMG- just dry (?), simple, powerful, and maybe midrang-ey? (I like to make up words).

I will study this.

thanks guys

Rivera + Fender Strat

Another Meshuggah fact :)

Fredrik Thordendal's first Ibanez Universe guitar was purchased at Sam Ash on 48th St. in NYC. How cool is that?

I found that from this article. The boys have also streamlined their rigs, favoring POD rack units that go direct to PA. Fredrik still uses his breath controller for certain sounds.

Wow cool I love Meshuggah facts.

I love these guys, thats all I can listen to lately. Its so friggin complicated that its a joy to listen to. Is it true they used the PODs for the Nothing album? I heard this somewhere.

I don't know if I've been influenced one way or the other upon hearing that info about them and the PODs, but I know I have a hard time really feeling the guitars on that record. I mean on all their other albums I have the treble maxxed and the bass at +2 (on my lowly Honda car stereo), but for Nothing, I have the Bass cranked to +4 and the treble rolled way back. And still can't feel the meat of the guitars like I could for the other albums Contradictions/Collapse, Destroy/Erase, & Chaosphere. I have intentionally taken "no position" on the Mod vs. amp debate. In my case with my own music, I haven't found anything to change my love for my Marshall & SM 57. If anything I'll experiment with new mic's.

Rivera + Fender Strat

Archived