Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

[url=http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/03/02/wshiel202.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/03/02/ixnewstop.html]Human shields.[/url]

"Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -- John Adams

"I am a senior member, and thereby entilted to all the privileges and rights accorded said status"

-- NBR

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hehehe.... so they're actually putting them where a bomb might land and they don't want to play traitor no more. Go figure. I hope to meet a shield face to face one day. I have some personal comments I'd like to pass on.

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

Gee, I have a list of folks that should be there putting their bodies where their mouths are. Gere, Penn, Sarandon, Clooney, etc. Maybe they could organize an Iraqi theater group..

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

IMO, the State Department should issue a warning - any US citizen in Iraq (other than media) should get out... failure to do so will result in a high probability of bodily harm or death - we'll take no responsibility for your saftey in the event of armed conflict. These "human shields" are definitely guilty of "giving aid and comfort to the enemy". That's treason IMO.

[quote]Originally posted by Bolt Rifles: [b] [url=http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/03/02/wshiel202.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/03/02/ixnewstop.html]Human shields.[/url] [/b][/quote][img]http://www.rcnchicago.com/~jeffjen/Human_Shield%20.gif[/img]

"Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -- John Adams

"I am a senior member, and thereby entilted to all the privileges and rights accorded said status"

-- NBR

[quote] It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." ~Father Dennis [/quote]It's NOT the soldier, But God who gives those things, It is the soldier who takes those things away. father Dennis should know this, and another thing, father Dennis should know god doesn't give a F*ck about a flag, I challenge father Dennis to prove other wise with his bible.

Your logic sucks. If God gives us all those liberties, why don't some countries have those liberties? Different God? Only a benevolent God if you are an American? Soldiers not only give those liberties but also enforce taking them away. It simply depends on what they are ordered to do by the country they work for. Be happy you can worship any God you wish in this country without the soldiers coming to visit you. Your logic sounds like that old Vietnam saying: "Kill them all and let God sort them out". I don't know if there is a "God" or not, but I do know he doesn't care about any of this. Sort of like Ali thanking his God after beating Forman up. We are controlled by men..

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

[quote]Originally posted by Nawledge: [b] [quote] It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." ~Father Dennis [/quote]It's NOT the soldier, But God who gives those things, It is the soldier who takes those things away. father Dennis should know this, and another thing, father Dennis should know god doesn't give a F*ck about a flag, I challenge father Dennis to prove other wise with his bible.[/b][/quote]You are quibbling over semantics, perhaps "provides us the means to protect" would be more accurate than "given us". Father Dennis may not know what God cares about, I certianly don't, but I don't think that you know what he doesn't care about either. edited because I'm a lousy typist

-- NBR

[quote]Originally posted by thedude: [b]" Here is my position on gays in the military: "ANYONE dumb enough to want to join the military... should be let in." :thu: -- Bill Hicks[/b][/quote]Don't worry dude, I won't ask, and I won't tell.

-- NBR

All of the qualities of a soldier can be found in the worst of dogs. Blind loyalty is not a virtue. A soldier is someone who is more comfortable being part of a machine than being human. Anybody dumb enough to put on a uniform and do what they're told is not fighting or dying for me or my freedom. If anything, they are the enemy, because by putting on a uniform and doing what they're told, they have become the antithesis of freedom. "You know what WAR is??? War is a bunch of men standing in a field waving their dicks at each other." -- George Carlin

[quote]Originally posted by thedude: [b]All of the qualities of a soldier can be found in the worst of dogs. Blind loyalty is not a virtue. A soldier is someone who is more comfortable being part of a machine than being human. Anybody dumb enough to put on a uniform and do what they're told is not fighting or dying for me or my freedom. If anything, they are the enemy, because by putting on a uniform and doing what they're told, they have become the antithesis of freedom. "You know what WAR is??? War is a bunch of men standing in a field waving their dicks at each other." -- George Carlin[/b][/quote]First gays and now dicks? If there is a point here, all I can say is that disarming yourself is the easy part. It's disarming the guy who wants to kill you that's the tricky bit.

-- NBR

[quote]Originally posted by ChristopherKemp: [b] [quote]Originally posted by C.M.: [b] [quote] It's NOT the soldier, But God who gives those things, [/quote]Did god stop hitler?[/b][/quote]Actually, Hitler stopped Hitler. Should we thank him?[/b][/quote]What does that mean exactly?

-- NBR

Human shield: saddam, should I stand here? Saddam : NO, go over there by the real target. Human shield: oh shit, this guy is serious Saddam : get your ass over there, NOW! Human shield: (walks over to target),I gotta get the hell out of here, because its not clinton in office anymore.

[quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [b]IMO, the State Department should issue a warning - any US citizen in Iraq (other than media) should get out... failure to do so will result in a high probability of bodily harm or death - we'll take no responsibility for your saftey in the event of armed conflict. [/b][/quote]I think they issued this a number of year's ago.

[quote]Originally posted by Nawledge: [b] [quote] It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." ~Father Dennis [/quote]It's NOT the soldier, But God who gives those things, [/b][/quote]Except the soldier exists and God doesn't. Generally, I believe that God is a lovely myth for those believe in it (i.e. are inculcated with God propaganda since birth) but given the fact that much of this world conflict boils down to different opnions about "God" (i.e. "my God is better than your God," etc. etc. ) I am beginning to think that the need to infuse one's life with meaning through religious mythology may do more harm than good. -Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

[quote]I am beginning to think that the need to infuse one's life with meaning through religious mythology may do more harm than good.[/quote]While I don't want to go into apologetics at the moment, I do want to say that it's bad to confuse religion with God. Religions are human institutions with human failings and problems. God is perfect (and nothing but good), and probably slaps his forehead at the actions of us believers quite a few times per day...hour...minute...you get the idea. Put another way, please don't give up on God because I'm an idiot. :D -Danny

Grace, Peace, V, and Hz,

Danny

[quote]Originally posted by Bolt Rifles: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Bolt Rifles: [b] [url=http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/03/02/wshiel202.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/03/02/ixnewstop.html]Human shields.[/url] [/b][/quote][img]http://www.rcnchicago.com/~jeffjen/Human_Shield%20.gif[/img][/b][/quote]Who's shooting the human sheild in the BACK, Bolt? Not YOU, I hope! The thing that unsettles me the most in these discussions is the inordinant amount of people who think nothing of the idea of having other people shot. For the war? Fuck you! You ought to get shot! Against the war? You PUSSY! You DESERVE to be shot! All of you...A. Conservative schmucks. B. Liberal fags C. Religeous geeks. D. Whiny poets.(Choose one)should all just curl up and DIE! DIE! DIE! The humanity some of you display is SO...underwhelming! And by the way, the soldier does NOT give us any freedoms. He PROTECTS them. As he would protect any OPPRESSION he is ordered to. Sorry to tell you that it is simply MEN, men with vision and HUMANITY(some of you might have to go to your Webster's to find out what that means)that gave us those freedoms. God's role? It is only that these visionary men sought to do what THEY discerned was God's will. Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

[quote]Originally posted by whitefang: [b] [you] should all just curl up and DIE! DIE! DIE! The humanity some of you display is SO...underwhelming! [/b][/quote]Isn't this what they call "irony"? [quote]Originally posted by whitefang: [b] It is only that these visionary men sought to do what THEY discerned was God's will. [/b][/quote]Don't you mean to say what "they BELIEVED was God's will"? If any group was actually able to "discern" God's will, then there would no longer be any reason to fight. However, since the history of warfare has largely been a clash of religious beliefs, and discerning God's will is impossible (since "God's will" does not exist outside of the various populations that create their versions of it), those who love war, and cable news stations, will have lots to be happy about for a very long time. -Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

ASIDE from the whole issue of war with Iraq is good or bad: Anyone who would volunteer to be a human shield is a moron. With the exception of the person who invented deep-fried twinkies, no one deserves to die. But military strategy should not take into account the lives of volunteer human shields, lest a soldier or civilian who did not volunteer to die pays the price with their lives. -Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

Are any of the "human shields" musicians? If so, does Saddam let them play their instruments when they are "shielding" a bridge or an airbase? What would be the best instrument to bring to be a human shield? Do the Iraqi's prefer "cover songs" or would it be better to play original music? If someone brought a nice high end acoustic... that would be bad. Something could happen to it and an irreplacable instrument of beautiful potential would be lost forever. :eek: I would just bring a raggedy ole acoustic that I wouldn't mind seeing blown to bits... But that's me. :wave:

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

[quote] Fuck you! You ought to get shot! Against the war? You PUSSY! You DESERVE to be shot! All of you...A. Conservative schmucks. B. Liberal fags C. Religeous geeks. D. Whiny poets.(Choose one)should all just curl up and DIE! DIE! DIE! [/quote]Whitefang, we have asked you not to post when you are sippin the whiskey.

Botch said: [quote] Agree with you, Phil. "Aiding and Abetting the enemy" fits the treason charge quite well. Jane Fonda Lives! And ThisDude, let's you and I hope we never meet. [/quote]Wrong dude. I'm THISdude, no relation to THEdude. I do enjoy Bill Hicks though. As far as human shields go, I have no opinion. :thu:

[quote](since "God's will" does not exist outside of the various populations that create their versions of it)[/quote]I respectfully submit that God's will: A) Does exist. B) May or may not be anything close to what various populations think it is, or what all manner of "controllers" try to make people think it is. As a believer, I have found that it's better for me to say that I truly don't know God's will, trust that the Universe will unfold as it should, and try to do the right thing for other people. Now, the people who say, "God's will is that we should blow up a whole bunch of the devil-nation's civilians" (note that this can be applied both ways) are almost always trying to prey on people's fears (and even good intentions) to accomplish something destructive. Just my experience, no more, no less. -Danny

Grace, Peace, V, and Hz,

Danny

Archived