Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The mystery of the Fender vibrato

revolead

We have a test in Sound and Music tomorrow, and while stuying I came across this interesting fact. It's long been known that Fender amps all have a misnomered channel called vibrato which is actually a form of tremolo. But I'm not sure if anyone has ever addressed why. I think you guys might find this interesting:

"The vibrato is a family of tonal effects in music that depend on periodic variations of one or more characteristics in the sound wave. When the particular characteristics are known, the term 'vibrato' should be modified accordingly: e.g., frequency vibrato, amplitude vibrato, phase vibrato, etc."

For those of you who may not know, the amplitude of a wave also determines its volume. Apparently Fender either got lazy or ran out of space on their early amplifiers to put "Amplitude vibrato." Seems to me that this could very well be the case. Any thoughts?

Shut up and play.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmnn... Leo based his designs on Western Electric circuits. Perhaps "amplitude vibrato" or like terms were used there, I don't know but it sounds like you might be on to something there, revolead!

If that's the case, I still want to know where he/they got started calling the Stratocaster's fulcrum vibrato bridge a "Synchronized Tremolo" as well!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by george costanza:

"What puzzles me is why Fender or other manufacturers still follow this mis-labelling."

I'd think it is habit, and even tradition.

It's hip! It's retro! It's vintage!

Vintage Vibrolo!

Classic Trebrato.

And "Vibro-King" just plain sounds better than "Tremo-King"!

In many peoples' minds, the two are nearly interchangable anymore, and just mean a warble of some kind.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived