Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2 Minute Audition

Compact Diss

A local radio station here in Boston is having a making the band competition. I have a two minute audition that will be live on the air, from there I believe callers will decide if you make it or not. All the details are not out yet but I do know it will be a 2 minute audition. My first thought is to go crazy and try and blow them away but I think that is probably in a lot of peoples mind. What do you think? What would you do? This will be my first audition playing my guitar....this could be it, or it could be just some good experience, either way I win. Let me hear some horror stories about your first auditions....

Thanks..

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if you can sing, sing-there are plenty of tecchnique freaks. Do something musically coherent but that shows your range-shred a bit, finger pick a bit if you can, wrap it in a way that people can tap their feet to.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Remember that 99 percent of your audience are not guitarists! They're gonna vote for the guy who reminds them of the player in they're favourite band. I'd check out the stations playlist, decide where the listeners loyalties lie, and then pander to them! Ok perhaps not completely, but let it influence how you play, and your sound on the day.

Just my suggestion. You may well walk it as yourself, even if you're having an off day! Whatever you do, this is a cool opportunity, don't waste it.

Good Luck! T.

If you can sing, play a slow 12/8 bar blues number where you can intermix chordal/rhythms, your vocals, and a short blues solo. Most listeners can relate to the blues/rock formula and will allow you to display your vocals, rhythm, and lead playing.

Since you only have 2 minutes, I would sing one verse of a recognizable tune (e.g. Redhouse, Before You Accuse Me, etc.) and a one verse solo.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by Master_Shredder:

Yes, play what everyone else wants to here and don't play what you really want to because that would just be a horrible idea......Musical freedom sucks ass!

I hope, for your sake, that you are more gifted at the guitar than you are at spelling, interacting, and keeping an open mind when exchanging opinions.

Some good suggestions.

Just remember to relax and enjoy what you're doing. If you're having a good time & playing from the heart you'll do fine.

Best of luck!

:thu:

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by Teahead:

I hope, for your sake, that you are more gifted at the guitar than you are at spelling, interacting, and keeping an open mind when exchanging opinions.[/QB]

From what i have been reading you are a better talker then a guitar player because i listened to the clip you put on here and it was hardly worth listening to.

I hope, for your sake, that you are more gifted at the guitar than you are at spelling, interacting, and keeping an open mind when exchanging opinions.

From what i have been reading you are a better talker then a guitar player because i listened to the clip you put on here and it was hardly worth listening to.[/QB]
We appear to be deteriorating into Harmony Central.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

CD,

I'd just play whatever you are uniquely best at, and maybe more importantly what you feel and enjoy playing the most. Don't worry about what you think the judges want to hear, or what you think will "impress people." Play what you sincerely love to play and are most motivated to play. That's what really makes an impression.

Have fun and good luck! :thu:

From what i have been reading you are a better talker then a guitar player because i listened to the clip you put on here and it was hardly worth listening to.[/QB]
You've been here for two days, and all you seem to do is drip bad attitude all over the place. Why not look around a little and see what we're all about? If that appeals to you, then great. If not, why not go someplace else that might appreciate your vitriol? (look it up)

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

[/QB]

PUD..

What? you mean I can take this block of fine swiss and make a song??...COOL!

Don

QB]

You've been here for two days, and all you seem to do is drip bad attitude all over the place. Why not look around a little and see what we're all about? If that appeals to you, then great. If not, why not go someplace else that might appreciate your vitriol? (look it up)[/QB]

I'm sorry that i just don't blow smoke up people's asses.

QB]

I'm sorry that i'm just an ass.

I took the liberty of editing your post to suit your true character, as you are depicting yourself. This forum is like TV, if there's something bothering you , just change channel, don't feel the need to go all Elvis and start shooting at the screen.

I was nervous as hell. I got there at 6am, first one in and only one to show up. I got put on the air and they asked a few questions which I totaly lost my mind on-blanked out. You know, deer in headlights. I played the song, it went well and I messed up the very end of it, no one who called in seemed to notice. The two DJ's did. I was bashed by most of the callers except the females who called in all liked it and said I did a good job. I didn't make the band, but it was a great experience. I have it all on CD and will eventually put up a link. The DJ who is running it sat down with me after and talked, just like I said to him--and I always read it here but now I know--playing in front of people is the most important thing you can do. I'm going to an open mic on Friday!--I won't stop now--if I had the experience of playing in front of others today would have been no problem and the callers would have nothing to say. I did a country Blues song, R Johnson style, these kids don't listen to that and don't appreciate the roots of music so I knew I was going to have trouble anyway--it was a good time, thanks for the help.

Sorry to hear you got a little stage-fright, but it sounds like it was a pretty positive experience for you anyway. :thu:

Keep on doing it, and soon you'll hardly get nervous at all (I don't think it ever goes away completely).

Have fun at your open mic!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

all that matters is you gave it your best, and at least your looking at it positively. props to you for playing something not so popular. i know how close minded most kids are when it comes to true roots music, im probably one of very few who appreciate it.
hot girls, fast cars, and even louder guitars

Archived