Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dr. Z Route 66

meek20

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Myles has been talking up Dr. Z amps recently, and I take his advice VERY seriously...

I think he's got a bunch of info on some Dr. Z amps on his website, (although I'm not sure if that includes the Route 66.)

In general, they are considered to be very high quality, great sounding, well made amps. Some folks swear by them.

I wouldn't hesitate to get ANY of their models.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

The Route 66 is one amp I will probably never own.

The reason for that is that I support a LOT of them for clients, and two of my clients have more than one 66, so when they are not on the road, I can generally borrow one in trade for a while for an amp of mine that they may want to use for something.

The 66 is really unique in a few ways.

There are class A cathode biased amps, that have one sort of distortion character and touch sensitivity, with a distortion curve that builds and builds from the start.

The Class A/B grid biased amps, stay clean, until they start to distort, so there is something of a bump in the curve.

On the Route 66, the amps is grid biased, but has an ultralinear output section. This gives the best of both worlds. It is not too common to use though, as these transformers are really pricy. The Z KT-45 is a similar amp but does not share the ultralinear transformer aspect.

The 66 also uses a single pentode in the front end rather than a few dual triodes like 12AX7's. This give the amp huge current output, without the more buzzy character of a triode. This make the 66 VERY pedal friendly, perhaps more so than most any other amp I can think of, short of the Z KT45 and Z28.

They are about 32-35 watt amps, but have more apparent level than you would expect, due to their large harmonic content.

I love to "maintain" these amps, as the only thing one does to maintain them is to slap a set of tubes in them every once in a while ... which is not very often, even on a hard core touring schedule. The amps are very easy on output tubes as the voltages are not over the top and the KT66HP that the Doc uses, can easily handle 525+ plate volts ... way in excess of what these amps deliver.

The amp is small and light (aluminum chassis and lot a lot of parts to boot), so with a pedal board, you can do most anything with them out of a small car trunk with just about any size cabinet.

For a super blues amp, (and also jazz amp and rock amp), these are pretty amazing.

Hope this was of some help.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Meek! That sounds great!

Given your mission statement concerning "slightly overdriven (bluesy) sound(s)", I think that that smokin' clip should be evidence enough of the Route 66's being up to the task! Sounds like a particularly big, toothy, vintage Fender gettin' an attitude!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Caevan ,

I think that sound certainly fits the bill. I bet I could find a reason to buy every single one of those Dr. Z amps! :D

Judging from Myles' research & a study of the Dr. Z website, I think I would like all of them!

Originally posted by meek20:

"Caevan,

I think that sound certainly fits the bill. I bet I could find a reason to buy every single one of those Dr. Z amps!"

Careful- James_Italy might be listening!

We don't want to be responsible for sending him into the final buying frenzy that puts him in ultimate big trouble with the wife! :evil::eek::freak::D

I'm beginning to suspect that my next new amp will be either a Tone King, a Dr. Z, or a Gerhart, the latter two due to posts on this Forum, as well as examples like that sound clip you posted. (I've played my Les Pauls, and a few Fenders and other axes, through a Tone King Comet, and maaan, what a beautiful, big giant "Deluxe" sound!)

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

Careful- James_Italy might be listening!

We don't want to be responsible for sending him into the final buying frenzy that puts him in ultimate big trouble with the wife! :evil::eek::freak::D

I'm beginning to suspect that my next new amp will be either a Tone King, a Dr. Z, or a Gerhart, the latter two due to posts on this Forum, as well as examples like that sound clip you posted. (I've played my Les Pauls, and a few Fenders and other axes, through a Tone King Comet, and maaan, what a beautiful, big giant "Deluxe" sound!)

From what I am reading, any of those Dr. Z amps would really bring out the true tone from that nice guitar collection of his!

We have to be really careful because he may start a matching amp collection...next! :D;)

I had read a good bit about the Tone King Comet, but it has been awhile. It appeared to be a well-built, sweet-sounding amp! I'll have to look at that one again.

I haven't looked into the Gerhart before...but I will now. Thanks for the tip on that one.

James_Italy , are you listening? :D

Do a search here on Gerhart, and see what Myles has to say about'em.

Although, I think that you're probably on the right track already there, with the Dr. Z line.

I just mentioned the other two as conversation, and because I think that those are the three that I'll choose from, when the time comes.

I have to admit that I'm very curious about the Badcat Hot Cat model amps, too.

And, I can just see James getting a perfect matching amp for each guitar...

Channel switching? He'll just have to grab a different axe for a complete signal chain rearrangement! Maybe letting one or two feedback while he wails away... !

James! DON'T DO IT, FERGAWDSAKE!!!

:wave:

Thanks for thinking of me guys! But... If you all keep talking about this great gear I'm gonna be broke soon!!!! :eek::rolleyes::D

I've got to digest the stuff I've got now a bit before embarking on further purchases. I just received a Robert Keeley modified TS9-808 and that should keep me occupied for a while on the tone-quest. I have already resigned myself to the possibility that I'll eventually end up with:

-THD Flexi (coming out soon-probably my next purchase)

-Dr. Z

-VOX AC15 or AC30

-at least another cab with Celestion Alnico Blues

or G12H's

Anyway, this Dr. Z sounds pretty good to me and if Myles reccommends it you know it's good!!!!

Aaahh, there you are, James!

-If you want a Vox, I think that Matchless and Bad Cat are acrually the best "Voxes" around- I tried out a Matchless John Jorgenson signature model SC30 that was one sweet amp, let me tell ya! Also pretty expensive, but bulletproof compared to a Vox AC30, be it vintage or brand new! AND better sounding, and more versatile!

I haven't gooten my mitts on a Bad Cat yet, but how can you go wrong, it's Mark Sampson's (original designer and owner of Matchless) new brand!

-If you want a Vox, I think that Matchless and Bad Cat are acrually the best "Voxes" around- I tried out a Matchless John Jorgenson signature model SC30 that was one sweet amp, let me tell ya! Also pretty expensive, but bulletproof compared to a Vox AC30, be it vintage or brand new! AND better sounding, and more versatile!

I haven't gooten my mitts on a Bad Cat yet, but how can you go wrong, it's Mark Sampson's (original designer and owner of Matchless) new brand!

Matchless amps are super, and yeah high dollar. What about the Laney clone of the AC30? Anybody play one?
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

CaevanO'Shite ............

If you like AC-30s ... go play a Z Mazerati and compare it to an original AC30/4. Then look at the price of the Z as an added benefit.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Like I said, I think a Tone King, a Dr. Z, or a Gerhart looms large in my near future.

I'm just not up on the various Dr. Z models, and their attributes.

Obviously, this Forum in general- and You, Myles, in particular- might change that!

Good lookin'out- mo'bang for the buck is always a wonderful thing!

(I didn't mean to imply that either Voxes or Dr. Z's were lesser amps, just my two-cents on the Matchless... )

Like I said, I think a Tone King, a Dr. Z, or a Gerhart looms large in my near future.

I'm just not up on the various Dr. Z models, and their attributes.

Obviously, this Forum in general- and You, Myles, in particular- might change that!

Good lookin'out- mo'bang for the buck is always a wonderful thing!

(I didn't mean to imply that either Voxes or Dr. Z's were lesser amps, just my two-cents on the Matchless... )

Lots of Z stuff and Gary's stuff on my website including a lot of internal pix.

Matchless? Great amps .... worth every cent. I'd love a SC-30 (single 12") someday.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by myles111:

"I'd love a SC-30 (single 12") someday."

The John Jorgenson signature model is (was?) like an improved SC-30; I believe that it had reverb, if I remember correctly. In any case, it sounded extremely lush and full and fat yet clear and well defined. Almost like a good compressor was in use, but still very natural sounding.

It sounded so good clean, I didn't even get around to trying to overdrive or distort it!

Archived