Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amp for Telecaster

msu65

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amps, like guitars, can sound/respond quite differently depending on set-up, playing technique, etc.

Also the type of music(s) you play could be important considerations.

I always think the best advice for these general-type questions is to play through the equipment you're considering & see what actually sounds good to you. :thu:

Sorry if that doesn't help.

Depends on what sound your going for. If you want a combination of twang with the ability to get a bit of an edge or a fatter sound I'd recommend either a Fender Deluxe Reverb or Super Reverb. (Think Danny Gatton)

If you're going for total twang the Twin Reverb is the amp to go with. (Think Pete Anderson)

If you're going for something more rock oriented a small Marshall combo works well with a Tele (Think Eric Clapton in 1966)

:idea: Or you could just buy a Flextone and get all three of these sounds (plus a whole lot more). I know digital modeling amps are anathema to a lot of folks on this board but I am quite fond the Line 6 stuff. Sure some of the amp models dfon't cut it, but most of them sound pretty good to my ears. :thu:

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

I agree with the Fender Amp choice. Every great sounding Tele player I've heard usually uses a Twin Reverb or a Super Reverb or something damn close. For example, Vince Gill sounds pretty good through a Rivera and Albert Lee has used MusicMan amps for eons. I use either a Rivera S-130 (on a Twin setting) or a MusicMan RD-112 myself. They both work great, I believe, because their designers worked for Fender at one time or another and understand the Fender sound better than most. I remember the early 80's when everyone, at least in my Country music/Blues circuit in Boston, seemed to gravitate towards solid state Peavy amps. When I hauled out my RD-112 (new at the time) all the other players commented about how good that amp sounded with a Tele. The MusicMan is a hybrid tube/solid state amp but still beats a full solid state amp in tonal character. I would recommend replacing the original speakers with either EV's or JBL's. It really makes a huge difference. In the final analysis I'd go for a Twin Reverb 65 Reissue or, if that's to pricey, look on E-Bay for a good MusicMan (the 120w 2x12 or 65w 1x12 combo series) because they are great amps at bargain prices. But this is just my point of view. Your ears will take you to the right place.

Ethan57

Thanks for the info. I had received some word of mouth info that the circuitry in Fender amps matches up with there guitars a little better than others for overall playing. I play rhythm in a band that plays a wide range of music, some with a little edge, but nothing too hard. Country to Classic Rock. I don't play one type of music enough to specialize in the amp that much. That is one reason I have gone to the Telecaster as it seems, along with the Strat, to be one of the most versatile guitars. Confirmed to some degree when I saw Seal on the Today show and two of his guitarists were playing Telecasters. Not just for country.

Originally posted by msu65:

Not just for country.

One of my faves, Mike Stern, played a modified Tele for years before he got his own signature model from Yamaha. The Yamaha guitar is essentially an updated version, with Strat-like body contours, 22 frets, a Duncan 59 humbucker in the neck, and a Tele Hot Rails pu in the bridge. His modded Tele did use a 59 in the neck, but the bridge pu was a Bill Lawrence, I think (?).

Originally posted by aeon:

Im not always one for tradition, so I say put a Tele through a Vox AC30 top-boost or modern-but-now-discontinued Vox AC15, both with Celestion alnico blue speakers! :D

I ve played around with that setup, and it totaly kicks ass!! Treble out the wazoo, and crunches up nice when cranked (that didn't last long. Tried that at Mars music.)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Mudcat,

Or you could just buy a Flextone and get all three of these sounds (plus a whole lot more). I know digital modeling amps are anathema to a lot of folks on this board but I am quite fond the Line 6 stuff. Sure some of the amp models dfon't cut it, but most of them sound pretty good to my ears.
I've only tried the Clean and Marshall sounds, but those were great (with standard LP). For what you can get a Flextone II for nowadays (50W 1 x 12, $200-$300), it's a bargin. I'm thinking about getting one, maybe to replace my Jazz Chorus 55.

It may not be the perfect Telecaster amp, but it does so much more ...

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Archived