Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Small tube practice amp

Fruktfat

I'm thinking about bying a small tube practice amp. The Fender Champ from the mid-eighties would suit my needs perfectly, but it's difficult to come by here in Norway. So my question would be - what modern-day amp could fill its shoes? It has to be a tube amp, and I'm thinking 10-15 watts would be enough power for my living room (and neighbours) :D I know that Marshall made a 15W tube amp called the Studio I think, also in the mid-eighties. This is unfortunately just as hard to come by.

So, what do you think guys - any suggestions?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Norway,

I've got a Peavey Classic 20 for just that purpose. I got a call from a friend of mine who is a great guitar player and works at a local music store. He said you got to come down here and hear this amp. We just got one in and this little thing just drips with tone. I agreed. You just got to sit and look at it cause you can't believe that all that sound is really coming out of that little 10" speaker.

Now, I'm partial to tube amps with a little controlable crunch, blues and old rock &roll. The C20 works very well for that. :cool:

I used to know everything.

Well, 15 watts is actually quite loud..... 5 to 7 would rock a living room. I've got an order in for one of the new Vox Brian May models.

But a visit to a pawn shop or yard sale might yield a great old Silvetone, Magnavox, Airline, Danelectro, or other tube gem from the 50s or 60s at a bargain price.... I've got a few of them, and they all sound very cool.

The Peavy Backstage is a good small wattage amp, and the Blues Jr gets great press and word of mouth. I have an old Roland Cube that works well as long as you have some stomp boxes on the front end.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:

Well, 15 watts is actually quite loud..... 5 to 7 would rock a living room. I've got an order in for one of the new Vox Brian May models.

But a visit to a pawn shop or yard sale might yield a great old Silvetone, Magnavox, Airline, Danelectro, or other tube gem from the 50s or 60s at a bargain price.... I've got a few of them, and they all sound very cool.

The Peavy Backstage is a good small wattage amp, and the Blues Jr gets great press and word of mouth. I have an old Roland Cube that works well as long as you have some stomp boxes on the front end.

Bill

I agree. A Champ is about the most simple tube (valve) amp design there is, and there were a lot of copies both in Europe and America. The tubes to look for are EL-84, ECC-83, 12AX7, 6V6, 6BQ5, or 6AV6's. A small 5 watt amp with a single 12AX7/ECC-83 or a pair of 6AV6's driving a single 6BQ5/EL-84 or a 6V6 would be really cool. I believe that EKO made a couple of real cool little amps like that, as well as several other european manufacturers.

http://persoweb.francenet.fr/~liegeois/galry.html

Check out the above link. It's a french tube amp site with some really cool euro-amps!

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Hi,

Originally posted by Gtrmac

Thr Fender Pro Junior is a nice amp as D-Prime mentioned. They're not expensive either.

Lucky Americans : here, I mean in France, but I assume it is more or less the same in Sweden a Pro Junior cost more than $500 and we don't have any mail order or big discount shop as you do ...

Well I suppose we have to make do with our wines and cheese (not sure about the Swedish wines though ... and Californian ones are also very good).

Bests.

Stan.

Love + Learning + Music = LIFE !!! (some money welcomed as well ...)

OK, I would like to thank Stan_Frenchie for the most surreal post under this topic :D (Sweden and Norway are different countries) But seriously - thanks guys, you've been very helpful all of you. I'll continue looking for an old Champ, but I think that the Jr amps and the Carvin both represent good alternatives.

Off-topic: Have any of you lurked in the digital recording forums? It seemed like they had some problems with abuse and people going after each other in a very unprofessional way. I've just started using this forum although I registered in 2001, and to me the guitar forum seems like the most healthy forum of the lot. Talk about not living up to the angry guitar player stereotype. Just want to thank you all for a very good forum that's all (I'm misting up) :D

Originally posted by Fruktfat

OK, I would like to thank Stan_Frenchie for the most surreal post under this topic (Sweden and Norway are different countries)

Really sorry about that (I do know that Sweden, Norway and Denmark are different countries, as I often go there for my job), I just was sure to have read Sweden in your post ... I should have checked it, please do accept my apologies.

Bests.

Stan.

Love + Learning + Music = LIFE !!! (some money welcomed as well ...)

The Pro Jr and the Blues Jr are always called practice amps, however they'll blow you out of your room. They are way more than that. Bonnie Raitt even lists her equipment as having two AC30's and a Pro Jr. Pro Jr's are little giant killers in my opinion.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Archived