Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

black diamond strings

skipclone 1

Hey all

I was looking for a set of strings for my acoustic and found these-has anybody got the scoop on them? I was only able to play for a short time before vacation was over, had to put my guitar back into stasis but they felt pretty good. What`s up with the black coating-does it do more than look dangerous?

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bailing wire from the past! :) Back in the day there weren't many options, and Black Diamond strings were one of them. Haven't used them since the 60's so I have no idea. If you like a coating, check out Elixers.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

The NEW Black Diamond strings are pretty darn good. My son has them on his acoustic guitar, I've played it & the strings are sweet. He has used the coated and non coated strings. I played the black coated strings & they felt and sounded very good, were very playable and the life of them according to Kayle has been good. The reason for the black coating is to make it easy to see when the coating is gone, and thus need replacement. I'm sure this is also a marketing ploy to get folks to replace the strings often. I haven't played the non coated strings yet though I have a set that Kayle gave me.

I do remember the old Black Diamond #800 set that was the best sounding string, at the time, for my old Yamaha FG150. (mid '70s) Some of the others were pretty good too. Guy Clark has a great song about Black Diamond Strings that says it all. Here's part of it...

Black Diamond Strings

Black Diamond Strings

Drinkin 1 W. Harper

Playin Black Diamond Strings

Black Diamond Strings

Are like white flour and grits

You play Black Diamond Strings

Cause its all you can get

Black Diamond Strings on a Catalog Guitar

Thats pretty high cotton whoever you are

You break one you change one, thats as good as it gets

You can play all year long on two or three sets

I would say that were I not using DR Strings, I'd be using the Black Diamond Strings. They seem to be that good, but at this point not impressive enough for me to change.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Yeah, I've always loved Guy Clark. If it weren't for Guy Clark and Joe Ely, Jerry Jeff wouldn't have half his recorded catalog. Though ole Jerry is a pretty darn good writer in his own right.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Hmmm, well it sure sounds like people are talking about two different things with the same name here-the ones I bought would be preferable to several better-known makers, but I`d like to spend more time with a set to be sure.

BTW Dak, if I`m not mistaken you and me have a birthday coming up soon. Wanna save time and start getting depressed now?

Originally posted by skipclone 1:

Hmmm, well it sure sounds like people are talking about two different things with the same name here-the ones I bought would be preferable to several better-known makers, but I`d like to spend more time with a set to be sure.

BTW Dak, if I`m not mistaken you and me have a birthday coming up soon. Wanna save time and start getting depressed now?

As to the strings, yeah, lots of the remarks are all about the old Black Diamond Strings. They were, toward the end of their existence, a drug store commodity. These new strings, made buy different people who bought the name are damned nice strings. My only thing, to this point, is they're not so much better than the DR Strings I now play that I'll really have to think about putting a set on as a test. I just might through a set on my old Yamaha FG150. It's a great test instrument for strings because it's so damned finicky. Unless it has a great string on, it won't sound good. The only other problem I see is the lack of ourlets for Black Diamond Strings. None of my local stores carry them, nor does the closest Guitar Center.

Now, the bad news is the BD. Yeah, I'll be a year older all in one day, coming up next week too. :mad:

Ah well, I could be dead... :eek:

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Man, why the long faces over birthdays? Think of them as milestones for organizing all of your good memories by. If you have a real good party or some kind of celebration on your birthday, then the ensuing ones are anniversaries of them good times, and reason enough for more! Another log on the fire, not more wind down the chimney! Hey, I think I just came up with a cool line there, waddya think, you guys inspired me!

'Sides, yer jes gittin' mo'vintij... !

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Heh, really Caevan, I'm not at all upset about a birthday coming up. Each one is a cause for celebration for me and an unexpected gift.

I actually celebrate two birthdays a year. My first, actual birth into this world and a second (re-birth) after my stem-cell transplant. I'll be celebrating 55 for the first and three for the re-birth. :D

Our Joint

At the risk of dating myself, Ill say that in 1964 when I started playing the local music store in Memphis carried very few strings. The one thing I remember was there was a box on the front counter right by the cash register that had individual packaged Black Diamond Strings. You really could "break one and change one". But in the mojo vibe department, all those Delta Blues players used em. That's just about all there was to use. And yes, just like the song mine were strung up on a "catalog guitar", a Stella that my old man bought in a pawn shop on Beale Street for 18 bucks. Jeez, that takes me back.

Originally posted by daklander:

"Heh, really Caevan, I'm not at all upset about a birthday coming up. Each one is a cause for celebration for me and an unexpected gift.

I actually celebrate two birthdays a year. My first, actual birth into this world and a second (re-birth) after my stem-cell transplant. I'll be celebrating 55 for the first and three for the re-birth." :D

Glad to hear it, all of it, Dak! You're O.K., I don't care what they said on the news!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Well I wasn`t exactly dead serious about my original comment on birthdays. But if I were to answer as if I was, I`d say it pretty much depends on how content one is with life, or how much one accepts a certain amount of discontent as inevitable maybe. If I feel like I`ve accomplished a substantial amount of what I set out to do in life, screw it, bring on the rocking chair. But with every passing year, options generally tend to diminish and another chance to get it right goes bye bye, and it ain`t coming back. You may feel and think, and even act like an 18 year old but it`s unlikely you`ll be treated like one. It may not even be all that great if you are-I like deciding what time to be home thanks. But I doubt anyone here has to be reminded how rampant age discrimination is in the entertainment biz. Given all that there`s good reason to be less than thrilled. But as I said, I was pretty much kidding before. I have to do the next installment of my little T.V. gig two days after my B-day so I can`t get hammered like a dulcimer, but I have no intention of sitting around whining either.

Yeah, I used Black Diamonds back in the day, too. They were cheaper than "brand names" like Gibson and Fender, but adequate.

So, now it looks like I'll have to hunt up the new version, and give 'em a try for "old times sake"!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Originally posted by BwanaDik:

Shoot, I think it's cool you can still get Black Diamond Strings. In the '60s, that was about all you could buy in the little town of Borger, Texas.

Realize they ain't the same strings now. These new guys that bought the name and make the strings are making a completely different string than those earlier Black Diamonds. It's darned near like apples & oranges.

Our Joint

Archived