Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The baddest ass acoustic guitar player of all time...

LiveMusic

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Greg Carmichael and Miles Gilderdale, the two guitar players who head up the band Acoustic Alchemy (Miles also plays electric). Also, Steve Mesple and Joe Scott of the group Wind Machine, which I believe are no longer together--Joe Scott played a "guitjo," a seven-string acoustic guitar whose bottom string was replaced with a high treble string to give his guitar a more harp-like sound.

Robert J. ("Bob") Welch III

"If you were the only person who ever lived, God still would have sent Jesus His only Son to die on the cross for YOU, because that is how much HE LOVES YOU!"

• 4 weeks later...
I love Leo Kottke because he is so multidimensional. I think I posted in this thread before too. The one thing to consider about Kottke is that he isn't really attached to one genre. I mean he has ragtime songs, classical interpretations, folk & celtic influences. He even studied classical style with Segovia. I think the world of Leo because one of the coolest things he has done is use alot of open tunings. Open tunings are really untapped throughout the world of guitar and it amazes me. There are so many talented players who can play more than 1 style effectively. The thing is there have been MANY guys who can do this. It is really hard to do anything new in standard tuning. I don't really think a whole lot when I play, I just do my thing. Some guys analyse theory and think about chords and scales. I know a million patterns and chords but I just let my ear guide me. Guitar can be reduced to patterns on the neck ultimately and that being the casem,magine if those patterns that you use sounded completely different. Everyone has thier own 'bag if tricks', but imagine that BAG expanding exponentially from open tunings. Like you can play the same A7 chord in standard tuning but in an open tuning it becomes something different. I like dminor tuning cuz everything becomes symetrical. I can play a lick in dminor tuning and it is the same pattern that I would play in regular tuning maybe,but it sounds completely different. I think this adds tons creatively in expressing oneself. It also takes a certain discipline because you have to accept the fact that it is a dog you don't know. I mean when I try a new tuning I have to make a commitment to it. I will leave my guitar tuned to it for several months so I can learn the new relationships on the neck. The truth is I play 12 string and the thing is a bitch to tune anyways so when I finally get it in tune to another tuning I am just too damn lazy to tune it back. I play guitar compulsively when I am bored or just unoccupied. I will pick it up and forget I am in a different tuning and then clown around like it is normal. The end result is that I will compose something completely different from anything I would have imagined in regular tuning. It takes commitment but the end result is gratifying. Leo was to my knowledge a pioneer in this department. I know there are plenty of others but he is like 60 or something. Anyways that is my take on it. I think open tunings are a key to an untapped world of guitar.

Originally posted by antimatter:

Hmm, old thread. Lots mentioned. But I got one bad ass not mentioned. Roy Clark. Every once in a while I catch that Odd Couple where Roy tears it up on an acoustic (also plays some violin on that episode). What an amazing talent.

No doubt! First time I saw him was playing "Under The Double Eagle" on a big fat Gibson Super 400 on "The Beverly Hillbillies" - "Cousin Roy from Possum Holler" or some such. Yee-haw.

And let's not forget Esteban !

Someone has already mentioned this man, but please do yourself a favor and check out Tommy Emmanual. This guy simply defies description - the most overlooked guitarist I've ever known of! Imagine three Doc Watsons playing at the same time but with far greater harmonic sophistocation - that's Tommy!

My secondary vote goes to Lenny Breau - just love 'em!

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

So many good picks already; I wholeheartedly agree with those who chose Django. Also, you have to mention Segovia on any list like this. But there two other names people mentioned that stand out for me: Doyle Dykes and Roy Clark.

fantasticsound, good call on DD. I saw him at a clinic at the local Guitar Center and, even though I had never heard of him before, he absolutely blew me away, both by his warm personality and his playing, which was incredible, especially up close like that (I was only five feet away from him when he played). Most of the playing tips he passed on to the audience went way over the head of a hack guitarist like me.

As for Roy Clark, I remember when I truly grasped what a talent that man was. A few years ago, I was channel surfing and came across a show featuring Roy in concert. Up to that point, I only thought of him as that yahoo from Hee-Haw. Over the next hour, I watched amazed as he burned on not just guitar, but banjo and fiddle, too.

Archived