Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Carvin of Paul reed Smith???????

TelebenderX

Hello guitar peeps!! so im faced with this decision: a paul reed smith custom 22 or a carvin 7 string custom shop, what would you get if you were in a metal band...??????? this has been bothering be for days!!!! i already have a telcaster 72 reissue thinline 6 string and thats a nice sounding guitar, but i want to bring my sound and my playing to the next level if ya know what i mean... ALL SHREDDERS OUT THERE PLEASE HELP!!!!!! :confused::evil:
I will feed your children to the donkeys living in my block of pepper jack cheese!!!!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a carvin fan, myself. If you were going for metal, make sure you go for the M22 or M22SD pickups. The SD is hotter, but they don't clean up as well as the M22. Carvin's necks are outstanding for shredders. Get the Carvin and then compare it to the PRS. If you still like the PRS better, then return the Carvin. All it does is add the cost of shipping it back. Boggs
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

I have a Carvin SC90 that I use as a baritone. Although I don't own a PRS, I've tried several, and IMHO PRS necks have a nicer feel. The Carvin necks are too wide for my taste. You should try 'em out for yourself though...

The quality is about the same. Dollar for dollar, the Carvin is a better deal since you're buying factory direct.

That being said, those are two VERY different guitars. The seven string is a neck-through with, well, 7 strings. It also has a longer scale length. Get one made of mahogony or koa. Maple/alder Carvins sound very, very bright.

The PRS is more like a Les Paul. The set neck and shorter scale length will give it a more mid-rangy sound. The Carvin will have more of a full-range hi-fi sound.

Both will work well for metal.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Yeah, what Gabes said!

What a pair of beautiful guitars! A Custom 22 would be the PRS for me, and those Carvin DC727s and 747s are rock machines!

Are you in need of a chunkin' it out death machine, playing lots of low riffery, or an all-around "classic" that will sound exceptionally good for leads? Both are great guitars, and both will work in "metal" (in the broad sense of the term) but they are each just enough focused and "specialized" to suit you best one way or another.

I figure, if you are going to play mostly rhythm/chords/riffs/etc., go with the Carvin, in koa or mahogany, with the oiled neck option.

Also, if you like whammies, the Carvin is available with a seven-string Floyd Rose; and the 727/dual humbucker version can optionally be fitted with active/passive electronics, as well.

If you are going to play a wider variety of styles, and play lead lines and fills as well as riddums, go with the PRS Custom 22. If it's an option, I'd go with a one-peice, all-mahogany body. And birds. Gotta have the birds.

Oh, I almost forgot, the Custom 22 is avaiable with a PRS tremolo unit, as well.

Boggs makes a good point about your being able to try the Carvin out at home for a while; check with Carvin about this.

And, of course, keep us posted about which guitars you try and which ones you decide upon! Best of luck!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'd get the Carvin DC727! PRS's are nice but overrated (no offense to PRS lovers :) ).

I'd like mine to look like the one pictured HERE , but with a Floyd Rose unit. Heck, at Carvin prices, I'd order two, one with a Floyd, and one with the fixed bridge, for jazzier/cleaner music, and finished in clear gloss.

TeleBenderX,

Have you played much with ANY 7 string guitar?

It really has a distictly different feel than any 6 string, (mainly because of the neck width)...

Even though it might be hard to find a Carvin to try, you should try some OTHER 7 strings to see if you can dig it...

If you can, then the Carvin's are a good choice. I'd agree with the "slightly bright" thing, partly because of the body wood, partly because of the ebony fretboard, partly because of the active electronics.

Keep in mind that with active electronics, you can "boost" the bass and treble, while with normal "passive" electronics, you typically only "reduce" the amount of bass and treble.

What this means is that unlike most guitars, you don't automatically crank the tone controls to the top and leave them there. You need to at least set them in the "middle", (they have a middle detent to help you find it), and then add or reduce to taste.

I like mahogany bodies, and would probably suggest going in that direction.

These guitars have a great "driven" sound, and you will find the "high fidelity" aspect to provide good clarity of distorted chords.

With a 7 string, you've sending some "low" notes to your amp that you wouldn't with a normally tuned 6 string. This means your amp, speakers and cab should be able to handle this well in order to avoid too much "flab" on the low end.

It's a complete package to get the "best" sound.

Good luck...

Oh yeah, our buddy Jim Soloway is developing a 7 string guitar as well... if he's done by the time you're ready to buy... you may want to look into it... He's designing these for "jazz" guitar, but I don't see why it couldn't work for "metal"!

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

I've got a PRS Cu22 and have never played a Carvin so I vote for the PRS :D

Seriously though, you might want to look into a PRS Custom 24 if metal is your thing. The pickups in the Cu24 are hotter then what's in the 22. The 22 is closer to Les Paul, while the 24 will give you more of a nu-metal sound.

In an effort to improve the responsiveness of e-mail for everyone, the e-mail servers will be out of service.

We are hopeful that this change will improve the performance of e-mail.

I am more of a rhythm player, i am starting to open up and do more solo's but as the only guitar player in the band i need to back us up with a nice low chunky rhythm sound. our vocals aren't very "screamy" our bass is clean, so it's basically up to me to keep our band a metal band!! i have never played a seven string but so far the thickness of necks has not affected my playing. i can play a classical guitar with a huge neck just as well as i can play a telecaster. So far carvin is tipping the scales, but i would like to hear more opinions....
I will feed your children to the donkeys living in my block of pepper jack cheese!!!!!

Now, not to step on Guitplayer's toes, but- the Carvin seven-stringers come standard with passive electronics, and the optional active electronics can be switched out and run passive. Both the passive and active systems use the same pickups, as well.

From the sounds of your last post, I think that you should at least try the Carvin, that is, order one and compare and see how you like it.

Get the Carvin, save up as much gig-money as you can, and then buy a PRS, too!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'm a PRS player and have never played a Carvin. I've heard lots of great things about Carvins and they certainly look great. That being said, I've personally never played a guitar that I enjoy as much as my Custom 24. I bought my first PRS Standard (solid mahogany) in '92 after playing every guitar I could get my greasy little hands on. I've never regretted it. My PRS' are remarkably stable, versatile, great sounding guitars and continue to inspire. BTW, I also own or have owned Rickenbacker, Hofner, Gibson, Gretsch, G&L, Epiphone, Ibanez and Hamer guitars. The PRS' are the ones I always come back to.

What type of metal are you going to play? I know Marcus Curiel from POD uses a Custom PRS, as well as Linkin Park, but although Curiel is a decent guitarist, neither of the bands are really work notating for important equipment decisions.

I'm not a big fan of 7-string guitars, but both Petrucci and Vai make very good use out of both.

Considering the price difference, I would probably get a Carvin DC727 and save the money for something else. Like more GAS???

Shut up and play.

Hey, I didn't want to give the impression that I'm "anti-PRS" or anything.

In fact I happily own a PRS McCarty! It's one of my favorite guitars... wouldn't live without it!

I also had a Standard 24 in the past, but it sorta covered the same ground as my Gibson LP and McCarty... so when one of the high school kids I was doing some recordings for said he would KILL to have it... well I made him a great deal.

That guitar DID play exceptionally well though...

I've played other friends PRS's including custom 22's and they're very nice as well. I actually think you can't go wrong with EITHER choice... although they're really quite different from each other.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

I haven't played either.

That being said, if it were me, I would order the Carvin I want, and when it comes, take it to a showroom and do an A/B comparison with the PRS and make my choice.

If I want the PRS, then for $40 (or whatever) I can ship the Carvin back (along with the $40 out). Almost foolproof (it just costs $80). That way I could be POSITIVE. :thu:

It might even be that you don't want EITHER and you want an "Alligator" :D (or whatever other brand/model).

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Archived