Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thinking of picking one of these up...

Green657

Forgive the "dopple-post", but-

-Is the guitar that you are waiting for the "new" Les Paul "Faded Double Cutaway" Special that Guitar Player magazine just reviewed at a "street" price of $599.00?

$599??!!?!!? If that's the going rate, you'd be nuts not to pick one up, even if it's half the guitar of the "Reissue" and old '59 that I played in a store once. The used "Reissue" was priced well above that!

Hell, I'd like to have one myself now, in addition to my two LPs! I'd either set it up for open-G, as my "Gem" is in open-D, or just play it in standard.

I think that they're gonna sell a lot of those!

I see that the newest-new-newbie "Faded" DC Special is listed as having the "Slim-Taper 1960" neck profile, the same as on my Les Paul Classic Premium Plus. Yeah, you'll love it. -k

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/lespaul/images/lpfd_wc.jpg

Yeah, I've kinda had a sweet-tooth for one of these lately myself. I'm a little confused about which model this is. I see some of them around with the smaller trapezoid thingies on the fretboard that I think are chintzier than the above-pictured model. These re-issues were made sometime in the 90's right?

Originally posted by Green657:

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/lespaul/images/lpfd_wc.jpg

Has anyone here played one? Feel free to chime in with the good, bad and ugly. I can't afford one of the standard double cuts, or a standard les paul.

Also, do you think the p-90's are too noisy?

Just try this one out! I believe Steve Marriott used one of these throughout his career w/ Humble Pie (yes, I mention them AGAIN...HAHAHA!!!). No, I believe he used a Les Paul Junior or Epiphone Dwight...if I am to be accurate...eh?

This guitar is absolutely screaming with tone! I have played one (in a couple of shops) just like this one...verrrrry nice! Give it a shot, why don't cha?

Aw, come on guys! Now I have to go looking (online) at these, and I won't be able to wash the dishes. :( (That was for all the women out there. It's really :thu::D:thu: )

I agree wiith James. I'm telling the wife it's all ya' alls fault! :D

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

I continued this thread (purely by accident, I'm not that smart) in the "gibson" thread.

If you're interesed, I'm on the hook and about to swallow it in twelve hours! Boy am I in trouble! :D

BTW, for those not familiar with the fishing references, I may buy a lp dc on ebay that ends in 12 hours. :thu:

Dave

Well boys and girls, as promised, I checked one out at Valley Arts Guitar in Nashville. (Owned and operated by Gibson, under the guidance of the original V.A. owner.)

I have to tell you I was floored by the playability and sound of the instrument. I only auditioned it through a Gibson GA-15RV, class A amp. No heavy distortion. I'll have to return and check it out on a Marshall, so I can't speak to the noise level, other than to say there was absolutely no noise when I played it.

The P-90's sounded wonderful. The retail was just under $1000, and I understand they sell around $750 or $800, so I'd check around for prices.

Bob Keelan The model depicted is a new, inexpensive, P-90 equipped version of the Special. Here\'s Gibson\'s Double Cut offerings for 2003. The one above is the Faded double cut. All three have a 60's slim taper neck, but the faded version is the only one with standard P-90's.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Guitar Player magazine has published a "street price" for this model of "$599.00" in their September '03 issue, out now (I received mine in the mail 07/18/'03) and gives a very favorable, if brief, review by Editor-In-Chief Michael Molenda. -k

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

"The model depicted is a new, inexpensive, P-90 equipped version of the Special."

" Here\'s Gibson\'s Double Cut offerings for 2003. The one above is the Faded double cut. All three have a 60's slim taper neck, but the faded version is the only one with standard P-90's."

Man, the "Special"-styled, "Faded" model is definitely the best of the three, and the least expensive!

I see that the "Classic" and the "Standard Plus" models each have 24-frets, pushing the neck-pickup too far inwards, towards the bridge, to sound quite right.

(I wonder if Paul Reed Smith's personel axes- the one-piece mahogany bodied ones- are 22-fretters, as well?)

If they made a "Classic DC" with a one-piece mahogany (carved-top) body in Faded Cherry lacquer with 22-frets and P-90 "soapbars", I'd drown in my own drool before I could obtain one to paddle my way sain again! -k

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

...Man, the "Special"-styled, "Faded" model is definitely the best of the three, and the least expensive!...

K... Preachin' to the choir! ;) I tried playing Standard DC's in stores for almost a decade now, and despite their incredible beauty, I've yet to find one that I enjoyed the sound of. :mad: I think the Faded DC is definitely in my future.

Oh, and to clarify your explanation of the TV Yellow finish, when K says it was developed for black and white tv, what that means is, in the early days of b&w broadcasts, the contrast was so high that a white guitar would completely wash out onscreen. The yellow finish proved to be appropriate to appear white, without washing out.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Thanks for the link Neil. I'm still confused on the differences between these 2003 models and something like this from '93 (oooh, purty in red eh?)

http://ebay0.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_dc860278a428837312f14d906c4519ff/i-1_B.JPG

Originally posted by Bob Keelan:

Thanks for the link Neil. I'm still confused on the differences between these 2003 models and something like this from '93 (oooh, purty in red eh?)

And that's the way Gibson likes it. ;):freak:

I think the '93 is, technically, a better instrument. The '03 Faded DC is a very inexpensive, light, yet decent instrument. The '93 looks like a sweet instrument with a standard, gloss finish. The '03 has a faded, satin finish which I like, but don't believe is considered as nice as the nitrocellulose finish on most Gibson electric guitars. I don't know if the '93 pictured has P-90's or P-100's. I insist on P-90's, noise and all. In all fairness, the early 1990's are considered to be a great era for Gibson solidbody electric guitars.

BTW, P-100's will NOT fit in a P-90 sized cavity without carving more depth.

{edit}I took a closer look at the specs for the Classic DC. It doesn't share the LP Classic's use of high output ceramic magnet pickups. You can choose from 490/498 alnico magnet "vanilla" PAF style pickups or P-90's. :thu: The 490/498 combination used to be the standard "PAF" in all models that had alnico pickups, but more models now have the Burstbuckers (Gibson's closest recreation of vintage, 1950's PAF's) standard.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I'm glad this came up; I didn't realise that this was an axe with any significant differences from the aforementioned '90s "reissues".

A '90s "reissue" and an original vintage axe were the instruments that I had played, and what I based my observations on.

I don't imagine that the "new" "Faded DC" model is a lesser instrument by any major degree, though I would personally prefer a more traditional Gibson nitrocellulose-lacquer finish.

But, I have apparently not played exactly the same, specific production model as the one asked about in this thread's topic-starter. I apologize for any confusion due to my posted replies and statements; let's hope that they're close to the actuality! -k

Yeah, the one I pictured above has P90's. It also has a bound neck which I don't think the newer ones do. Just go to ebay, under Gibson electric guitars, and do a search on Les Paul Special to see all the different flavors. I think you're right. Henry J likes us to be confused. :freak:

Originally posted by Bob Keelan:

...I think you're right. Henry J likes us to be confused. :freak:

You can bank on that! Henry certainly does! ;)

The more permutations Gibson creates of new and slightly different reissue models, the more money diehard collectors spend on Gibson products. Many of them are interesting, unique or otherwise worthwhile investments, as a player or collector. But let's face it. Gibson could simply offer 5 or 6 models of LP's, and offer options for those models, but it's easier to grab peoples' attention with just about every different LP being labelled a distinct model. Adding or subtracting binding, neck inlays, etc. gives them the ability to make a "Standard" that resembles a "Studio", and confuse the issue that much more. :rolleyes:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Yo! Cool axe James. :thu:

Personally, I think y'all got a bargin. Of course if you like it, it was a bargin at ANY price.

I'll be posting before and after pics of my new (but very old) Electra Phoenix when I can.

Dave

I just got back from a weekend away and reviewed all the replies.

The guitar I looked at in the store is definately a Les Paul DC Faded Special in worn cherry finish.

I like the faded finish, for this reason: I gig pretty frequently in bars (some of them not very nice). I play a telecaster with an amazing transparent midnight blue-burst finish on it. I'm always worried about it getting scratched or spilled on. Having a new guitar that already looks beat up will lessen that concern.

The DC special that I looked at (for clarification) had dot fret markers and no binding on the body or neck.

Thanks for the replies.

Green657- Personally, I think that the Special models look best with "dot" inlays, and there probably all cool guitars. Yeah, when I can, I just might get a brand-new Les Paul DC Faded-Cherry Special.

James- Cool! I can't wait to hear what you make of it. Hey, humor me, tune'er up to either open-G or open-A sometime, play a few Stonesy-rootsy-bluesy Keef riffs, and tell me that guitar isn't made for that!

(D-G-D-G-B-D and E-A-E-A-C#-E, respectively) -k

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

James- Cool! I can't wait to hear what you make of it. Hey, humor me, tune'er up to either open-G or open-A sometime, play a few Stonesy-rootsy-bluesy Keef riffs, and tell me that guitar isn't made for that!

(D-G-D-G-B-D and E-A-E-A-C#-E, respectively) -k

Kev- you're my Gibson Guru! Got it home today, but only had a couple of hours down in the studio. I couldn't bring it in the house because as I was leaving to "run errands" my wife screamed out, "Don't bring home any more damn guitars!!!" (She noticed the 7up EC Strat right away the other day :confused: ) I'll bring the Gem up from the studio tomorrow when's she's out or busy with something else... she won't even notice it cause it looks just like the other LPs.

Anyway, the P90's rock. Totally different from the HBers. More Telecaster-ish than even the Tele- kind of like a Tele doubled or something. They feedback like hell though when I have the guitar close to the amps, but I like it. :P I'll try some of the tunings you gave me, and try to find some riffs from the Stones. Have any suggestions for those tunings? I have to admit I honestly don't know any Stones songs. :freak:

Anyway guys, I'm not sure this P90 equipped axe would be my first choice, but it's pretty cool and very different from the Custom/Standard. It's a great addition to my small collection and I'm glad to have it.

James- that's cool that you refer to a "Tele"-like tone and vibe there; I've noted that with mine, too, especially when I get my nails under the strings and let them slap back against the frets for a spanky good sound!

I can not stress enough how much that guitar will benefit from putting on DR Pure Blues pure nickel wrap in a .010"- or .011"-gauge set, or, if you decided to go with an open tuning permanently on that one guitar, a mix of gauges to even the tension, string-to-string. Those strings and Les Pauls in general- and P-90 equipped Les Pauls in particular- were made for one another. Tone, feel, tone, feel... what else matters??!!??

Here's a quickie, in-a-nutshell Keef riffery example:

-Tune the axe to one of those two tunings (don't matter to me which one; how'bout you?)

(The regular gauges you would use for standard tuning will be fine, too, unless you want to get picky with a dedicated set-up in a given tuning.)

-Dial in (or, in your case, re-tube for) a bright and biting but easily overdriven tone, chimey and zingy, that will clean up if you roll back your guitar's volume, or play real soft... No effects. Maybe a little bit of reverb of some kind.

-Strum all six open strings; let it ring like a sonofabitch. One measure, don't bother to mute or damp.

-With whatever fingers you feel like, and without damping or muting the still ringing strings, finger the 2nd string/1st fret and the 4th string/2nd fret, like you would an "Amin7" chord if you were in standard tuning, and simultaneously execute a crisp downstroke crashing through all six strings again.

Hear that? Sound familiar?

-Now, barre at the 5th fret, repeat the first two steps in a barre form (like a "min7" barre chord would be in standard, alternating again with all six barred strings) and then all over again at the 7th fret.

Sounding cool, and really familiar?

Start to suss out different Stones riffs based on these over-simplified moves, and just have fun!

If you want some expert advice on this stuff, you can find a sterling example in Lee Flier's playing, and I'd be surprised if she wouldn't share all kinds of info with you on this. Plus, she's got the great, great grandmammy of your latest guitar! (That being, an original, vintage '52 "goldtop". Love those- played one for hours!)

Lemmee know how you grok and groove this widget! -k

Ooooh Baby! Can u say, "Start Me Up!"? How bout some "Brown Sugar"? Those are my kinda riffs- all cool and funky sounding with no effort! I was just fooling around with the Standard and the PodXT. Now the wife's gone to the lake with friends so I'm gonna mosey on down to the dungeon studio and whale on those P90's for a bit. Gonna take my Vox for that crunchy-clean sound (and of course I'll play around with some tubes, too) Thx, Kev

There's plenty more to all that rootsy, Keef/Bo Didley/George Thoroughgood/etc. (not to mention scads of blues greats) open-G fret-style stuff (as opposed to slide) than I've got there, but that should get you started.

And the great thing about it is, once you start to get the feel and vibe down and get your mojo working, you can kinda go on autopilot and just groove!

Guitar Player magazine has run at least two excellent interview/lesson Keith Richards cover story issues over the years; I remember that one had a cover photo of Keef with a Gibson L-5S with five strings on it and I think the caption read "Filthy, Filthy, Filthy!" Or, maybe that was the caption on the other Keef Kover. Idunno.

Wail in good faith! -k

Kev- I think these LP Studio Gem series we have are really nice guitars. Aren't they pretty much a GoldTop without the gold top and finishing? The P90's are very distinct sounding. Like the ES335 it's got a great vibe that makes it really fun to play. It's not gonna overtake my Custom as my number 1, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it. (BTW- it's probably gonna stay in OpenG tuning).

Everyone else- check out those faded DCs, P90's are way cool.

James,

You're really getting QUITE the collection there... I think you'll find that P-90's RAWK... and there's a unique sound and vibe you just can't get from any of your other guitars!

If you haven't tried them with the 6V6, 12ax7, 12at7 setup with your UniValve yet... well, let's just say you're probably gonna like it when you DO!

I've got a great sounding Guild Blues 90, (which is a LP shaped guitar with Duncan P-90's) and I LOVE the sound of it. Like you, I'm not sure I would make it my "main" guitar... but it certainly has its own voice and it's super fun to play!

Enjoy, enjoy! :thu:

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Hey, I'm glad ya like tha Gem, James! *BLING*BLING* :thu:

Basic design and hardware/pickup combination is pretty similar to a '56 Les Paul "gold-top", sans binding.

If you're gonna stay in open-G on that tobaggon, try going with, say, strings from a .010" set for the strings that stay the same as standard, and some from an .011" set for the ones that get tuned down, to even the tension. You'll still have a plain 3rd, and bendability will be sweet. Of course, you'll want to reset the intonation and relief, as well.

Enjoy! -k

Archived