Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need help with a PRS repair!

meek20

I have a PRS CE-24 ('91). There is a "scratch"-like noise that is audible everytime I turn the guitar's volume control up or down.

Does anyone know what this is?

How would I go about repairing this?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

--meek20

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like a dirty or faulty volume pot you have there. If you are so inclined, you can open up the guitar and try spraying some zero residue cleaner into the pot itself(if this is possible, there will be a little hole in the back of the pot) and moving it back and forth a few times. Hopefully that will clear it up. If there isn't a hole(some pots are sealed, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is on a PRS), or if cleaning the pot doesn't work, then it needs to be replaced.
I really don't know what to put here.

Sounds like trouble with the Volume potentiometer (pot). The pot is a variable resistor. When you turn the knob you are moving a wiper like contact to vary the resistance which changes the volume. Over time the two contact areas can become worn or dirty causing a bad connection which manifests itself as noise (popping, crackling, etc.)

There are two fixes you can try in the following order. Note that I am not familiar with the exact manner in which the pots are attached on a PRS but I assume the following will generally work:

1. Buy some electronic tuning cleaner (comes in a spray can with a fine nozzle tube). You need to disassemble the portion of the guitar which houses the pot (typically a plate or pickguard of some type) to expose the rear of the pot. Spray the tuning cleaner inside the open slots of the pot to get the cleaner to the moving parts and then turn the pot knob back and forth repeatedly to clean it. Repeat spraying and turning several times. WARNING: TO PREVENT ANY TUNING CLEANER FROM INADVERTENTLY GETTING ON THE GUITAR BODY, MAKE SURE YOU COVER THE GUITAR BODY WITH A TOWEL BEFORE SPRAYING THE CLEANER SINCE SOME OF THESE CLEANERS CAN ATTACK THE GUITAR'S PAINT AND FINISH. Reassemble the guitar and try it out in an amp. If the noise is gone, you're done. If the noise persists, the pot is probably just worn out and needs replacing so go to step 2.

2. Buy a replacement pot of the same value. Make a drawing of all connecting wires to your old pot (note that usually one pot terminal is bent over and soder grounded to the body of the pot). Desoder and remove all connecting wires to the old pot and remove the pot (removal involves removing the pot's knob, usually by loosening a set screw on the knob or gently prying it off with well padded screw driver blades (wrapped heavily with duct tape or electrical tape) if it is a friction fit like a Strat's pots. This will then expose the attachment nut on the pot to be removed to disconnect the pot. Install and rewiring the new pot the same way and you're all set.

I had the same problem with my '90 Custom 24 a couple of years back (maybe something about that 10-year mark?). Electronic Contact cleaner from Radio Shack did the job. Just make sure you clean up any excess that leaks out of the pot.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

:idea: I've always had great luck with "Tuner Cleaner", as used on television and radio tuners. It leaves behind a non-conductive lubricant intended for electronic pots and switches. This will extend the useful life of the pots, as well. (Don't use it on tube sockets and other high voltage/current componants, though; it will cause arcing there. For that kind of job, use "contact cleaner".) I spray a little through the red plastic tube-nozzle into the opening on the pot's body where the terminals are, careful not to get any excess on the guitar (slip some clean dry rags under and around the control knobs and such), and then, after wiping up any stray spray, I rapidly rotate the control back and forth for no less than thirty times. Then I try'er out, and I've always found this to be sufficient! Dust gets in there, as well as the expected wear, and this does wonders for a good long stretch before you might have to do it again. Also, it helps to keep your guitar in its case; I leave one out on a stand way too often for way too long, and this dust trouble is the direct result. Always happens to the one that's been on the stand a lot, the other in its case will be fine! -k

P.S.- you don't need the color tuner cleaner, the standard will work absolutely perfectly, and cost less. You can get perfectly fine tuner cleaner spray at Radio Shack.

Also- make sure your fastener hardware for the pots and switches is snug, as long as you're in there. Best of luck! -k

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I would simply replace the pot. Cleaning helps, but it just puts off the inevitable.
Don't replace the pot unless absolutely necessary. If your guitar is in good condition, it is a collector's item since it's an "old" PRS.

Try the tuner cleaner first.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Before you try anything else, just try exercising the potentiometer, which means move it from 1 to 10 quickly for a couple of minutes or longer. Sometimes this will knock off any dust or foreign matter on the contacts, which can cause that noise.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

I would simply replace the pot. Cleaning helps, but it just puts off the inevitable.
Don't replace the pot unless absolutely necessary. If your guitar is in good condition, it is a collector's item since it's an "old" PRS.

Try the tuner cleaner first.

Gabriel E. ...

Thanks for the "head's up" on that one! I didn't think about that aspect.

:cool:

To ALL...

Thanks for all of the replies! I knew everyone would be very helpful. :)

Archived