Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New to guitar need advice

Jay J.

Hello.

I have recently decided that I want to learn to play guitar. so my first step will be to actually get a guitar; I want to get an acoustic one so I don't have to worry about an amp for a while. it does not have to be a great one just something that I can learn on a mess around with at the house. I won't be playing any shows with it or anything like that. I would like to spend a max of $300 on this. what would you recomend. other than fender and gibson I am not real up on guitar stuff.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Several of the Yamaha & Ovation acoustics would fall into your price range (especially if you are not looking for an acoustic/electric), and I have had a couple of wonderful guitars from both of these companies.

Do yourself a favor. When you go to look at guitars, bring a friend (ie. someone you really trust) who has some experience with guitars. Nothing will kill the drive to learn to play like a crappy guitar.

Good luck! And keep us all posted!

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Yeah, Jay J., welcome!

Uuhmmn... , where did you post your other 192 posts, if you don't mind my being nosey, and what prior musical and/or instrumental experience do you have under your belt?

I'd suggest that you be certain that any acoustic guitar you consider buying, even in that price range, has a solid top; "two-peice" book-matched is normal in solid-tops, but "select" spruce (or whatever other type of wood) generally means plywood, albeit high-grade plywood. Don't settle for anything less than a solid top! Most important of many features, you'll get the most for your money this way, and have a better re-sale value down the road than a similar or even fancier-looking "selct-spruce!"-axe.

By the way, solid spruce is a perfectly fine and traditional (and the most common) wood for flat-tops. Cedar is my fave, though! -k

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thanks for the responses.

most of my posts have come from the Drum Forum. I have been playing drums for about 5 years and like to play them but I want to learn guitar also. for versatility reasons mostly and it would really help with writing songs.

Cool! A good drummer makes the world a better place, and you'll be ahead of the guitar-game compared to most musical-newbies.

Use your experience with drums to listen to the natural resonance of the body, perhaps even tapping (carefully, Bonzo!) on the top and sides to see if you like what you hear, as well as the usual strumming and picking. Spank the strings a little, rapidly and alternately striking and muting, as you hold a chord. You'll make anyone in the store think you're an eccentric-artist type, rather than a guit-virgin! :D Badi Assad (sp?) and Michael Hedges (R.I.P.) have used a lot of percussive technique in their innovative playing, and so can you can, too! :D

Listen for touch-sensitivity and a range of dynamic and tonal responsiveness to your playing attack and touch.

Besta luck, Jay, hope my sorta vague but well-meant advice (especially about solid tops; laminate rims are o.k., though, especially in that price range) helps you out some! -k

"WHOA!!!" :eek::freak::confused: How'n'th' Hell did that triple-whammy thing happen? I'll see if I can get rid of'em... -k

P.S.- went back and tried. I geusse all I can do is edit out the content, but an empty "Ghost-Post" is still left there each time.

What woulda made that happen in the first- and second- place? -k(onfused)

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Jay J.:

Hello.

I have recently decided that I want to learn to play guitar. so my first step will be to actually get a guitar; I want to get an acoustic one so I don't have to worry about an amp for a while. it does not have to be a great one just something that I can learn on a mess around with at the house. I won't be playing any shows with it or anything like that. I would like to spend a max of $300 on this. what would you recomend. other than fender and gibson I am not real up on guitar stuff.

If you HAVE to get an acoustic, get an Ibanez. The tone on their acoustics is great and their prices are very affordable.

-BUT-

I would recommend getting an electric witha cheap amplifier. You can get a good electric/amp package for anywhere from 150-300 dollars easy (IE fender squire with a cheap crate amp, thats all you need). Ask any guitar teacher, electrics are way easier to learn on and to me are much more versatile. I think you will benefit from this route in the long run.

Archived