Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The BIO thread...who are you?

Scott Jones

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by NMcGuitar:

bump

From one Neil to another, thanks for the bump! I ignored this thread the first time around, and missed something funny.

Both Neil's have an April 13th birthday! Weird!?! But I was born 3 years after you, in 1967. So you arrived on Earth first, but I registered at MP Forums first... we'll arm wrestle to see you gets to be Neil #1. ;)

Back to the bio...

Born, April 13th, 1967, New Brunswick, NJ. Middlesex county... what the heck does that mean?!? :confused:

3 brothers, 1 older. My parents both performed in local, musical theater. My older brother and I began piano lessons when I was 6 years old. I didn't have the patience to learn, but I've banged out songs ever since. At age 8, I convinced my mom to let me take one of her guitar lessons. After that I was hooked. Eventually she stopped altogether and I kept learning.

Mispent my youth playing James Taylor, Jim Croce, Eagles, Billy Joel, etc. with my best friend accompanying on piano. We'd both sing. At summer camp, when I was 10, we formed our first band and performed a concert for the other campers. It was a jewish camp, so we pulled out a bunch of traditional songs and Debbie Friedman, modern jewish folk rock. My next band, and first playing electric guitar, came senior year. A freshman I'd met through a friend wanted to form a band for our School's, once-every-four-years, Focus On The Arts festival. The whole school was out of regular classes and you had to go to seminars and performances. The Headline musical performance was the jazz group, Freeflight. He spoke to friends who played keys, drums, and bass, and the two of us played guitar. The Cars, Huey Lewis, Rush... we had a great time, but God only knows how we came up with the set list. :D

I played in several, unsuccessful bands in and out of college. Ended up at Columbia College in Chicago, studying recording, reinforcement, and acoustics.

Married my wife in 1993... Sept. 11th. (How were we to know what lay in store for our 8th anniversary? :rolleyes: Very weird to celebrate on that day.) Honeymooned at Disney World. Had 4 cats and 2 birds when we moved to Nashville (Madison) in October, 1994, with next to nothing. Now we live in a house and have 5 cats, 2 dogs (a dalmation, of course, and a collie mix) and two aquariums full of crab, frogs, firebelly newts and fish.

Got a job mixing Opry Star, Mike Snider's bluegrass band and comedy show at the Opryland USA themepark in 1995. Spent that year and the next Packing, delivering, setting up, operating, tearing down, putting away entertainment sound systems and backline (Mostly on my own. :rolleyes: ) for conventions at the Opryland Hotel and in the themepark. On weekend nights off I'd be at the Grand Ole' Opry, which I had full backstage access to through Mike Snider. Spent a lot of wonderful nights listening to country legends and newcomers. Had my pic taken with Chet Atkins. (By Mike, no less.) More importantly, I was able to share these experiences with my wife, family and friends, whom I gladly brought backstage.

Finally left Opryland after the last in a long line of disagreements with my boss in Opryland Productions, who was in charge of the convention entertainment gigs. Since then I've worked for crew companies setting up concert sound, lights and video, running spot and truss spot, setting up and operating convention A/V systems for several different companies, ran sound, lights and video imag for heart-healthy cooking shows put on by a local hospital, toured as monitor engineer for Lila McCann in 1999 and The Wilkinsons in 2001, was house mixer for The Sutler Bar & Grill (Where I mixed for Bill Frissell, among others.) for a year, toured the Persian Gulf with a local alt-rock band, Mink, and Guantanamao Bay, Cuba, with a local country chick singer. Last year I spent much of my time with a Scenic company, working on industrials both as a carpenter and audio mixer. Whew!

My daughter arrived after seemingly insurmountable odds, in Feb. of 1999. She's a beautiful 4 year old now. It's amazing how many times we thought she'd never be here. Problems getting pregnant, long treatment for my wife, to have a biological child, first being told her body had rejected all the 3 eggs, but that we should continue treatment anyway, just in case. Thank goodness we kept on. We were told she WAS actually pregnant two days later, when they retested. Then, after numerous trips to the hospital and doctors' office for monitoring, Denise's water broke 6 weeks, 3 days early. She held off, was shipped to Vanderbilt Hosptial, was informed Lilly's lungs were immature, and after being administered steroids to mature Lil's lungs, Denise was induced 3 days later, 6 weeks early. After almost a day of labor, Lilly was born in perfect health, but only 3lbs, 9 oz. But a week and a half later, we brought our little girl home. She's my inspiration... can you tell? ;) In between jobs I've been Mr. Mom, taking care of her more often than not. :)

I've gone on more than my 2 cents worth.

But enough about me... tell me, what have you been up to?? :D

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Neil -

Hey, I noticed the April 13 thing right away. I also think it's kind of funny that we both do sound (not exactly the same branch, but still...).

On the "wow more coincidences" front, I was also born in New Jersey (Jersey City), and I had a friend in college named Debbie Friedman.

(Ya know, this is starting to get a little like a bad sci-fi movie ;) ).

Anyway, very interesting bio. Congrats (4 years later) on your daughter! Sounds like you're quite the proud papa!

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Neil -

Hey, I noticed the April 13 thing right away. I also think it's lind of funny that we both do sound (not exactly the same branch, but still...).

On the "wow more coincidences" front, I was also born in New Jersey (Jersey City), and I had a friend in college named Debbie Friedman.

(Ya know, this is starting to get a little like a bad sci-fi movie ;) ).

Anyway, very interesting bio. Congrats (4 years later) on your daughter! Sounds like you're quite the proud papa!

(Twilight Zone theme plays...)

Heh. Yes, I am very much the proud papa... Lilly is the single most important thing in my life. She's both a daddy's and a mommy's girl. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Okay, well, I don't really like to wear my heart on my sleeve, but this thread has been such a sweet example of sharing and bonding, I feel safe in divulging some personal information that I've never shared in public before.

My date of birth is 29 February 1959, and my real name is Oliver North. No, not the Oliver North of Ronald Reagan's Criminal Gang. He's my mom's cousin - AND my DAD'S cousin - but he doesn't come to the family reunions anymore, so I don't know him well.

Trouble started early in my life. It's embarrassing, but I might as well just say it. I was born with an enormous penis. My Mom's friends used to fight over who was going to change my diapers. I sired the entire neighborhood by the time that I was eleven. Well, except for Miss Schultz and Miss Grossebottom, the tennis pros. You know, I recently saw the two of them at a WNBA game. Nice ladies!

Well anyway, leary of my growing penchant for promiscuity, my parents shipped me off to spend my pubescent years with my Weird Uncle Stan on his sheep farm on the outskirts of Bucharest. Uncle Stan wasn't really my uncle; he's was one of my Dad's black market buddies in the war. I don't know why we always called him Uncle Stan. Dad says it's because no one could pronounce his last name. Uncle Stan says it's because he knew my mom better than my dad. I guess they must have been friends or something.

Anyway, there I worked, toiling in the mud of the Hungarian foothills, dreaming of one day owning my own tattoo parlor but basically dreading every waking minute, when I had my first crush. She was a lovely young milkmaid - blonde hair, creamy skin, rosey cheeks, pouting lips. She was beautiful, but she had a quiet sadness, a resignation that stirred my hormone-infused heart. I could tell that she was frustrated. - Have you ever tried to milk a SHEEP? - She spoke no English at all, but it was all smiles when we were together.

One day in Weird Uncle Stan's hayloft, as the milkmaid and I played doctor using only the Latin that we could recall from school, this tender morsel of virginal loveliness reached teasingly for the Monster. I was concerned that it might frighten such a pure young thing, but she had just read a copy of the first Hungarian printing of Fear Of Flying, so I guess she was up for a challenge. Without hesitation, I pulled her close to me, but just then I heard a noise in the barnyard. Was it Weird Uncle Stan? Startled, I turned quickly and accidentally whacked the poor milkmaid on the side of the face with my excess baggage. We laughed about it, but the next day, she developed a black eye. Her father, an irate communist ex-gypsy merchant marine captain, insisted over her protestations that I had beaten her and demaded that Weird Uncle Stan turn me into the police for a sound flogging. Stan used some of his remaining black market contacts to smuggle me out of the country, and I never saw the milkmaid again.

When I arrived in America, I saw a music broadcast on television that changed my life. No, it was not the Beatles, not the Elvis comeback tour. It was the Lawrence Welk Show. I was a man - or rather, a boy - possessed. I wanted to run out and buy an accordian, but we lived in a small town with limited musical instrument sales. Dejected, I started fooling around with my Dad's guitar. Dad insisted that if I were going to "waste all of my time on something as foolhardy as music" that I might as well take lessons.

Then, something happened that changed the course of my musical life forever. The music teacher, an effeminite man who'd had a stint in the Navy after a flourishing career as a Broadway dancer, took one look at the profile of my Levi's and told me that I had "natural talent" and advised me that I was better suited to playing BASS than guitar. He sold me a Fender Jazz Bass. The neck was so LONG and HARD. It felt PERFECT in my hand - even though it was the LEFT hand. I knew that this was the instrument for me. I was so excited that I promptly rose out of the severe clinical depression caused by the loss of my lovely young milk maiden. - Hmm, I wonder what books she's reading now. - I took the Fender home and played day and night. The music teacher never charged me for lessons; I'm not sure why. But that bass became my first true love. I was as happy as a dolphin who escaped certain doom in a tuna net.

But, alas, true love was not meant to last. My roving eye was seized by promises of "guaranteed ultra-low string action" in glossy, colorful Carvin ads. The Fender seemed old and worn and used by comparison. I sold her to a guy from a neighborhood band and bought my Carvin. The Carvin was sleek and exotic, and I thought that we were the perfect pair. But as the years passed, I realized that I had parted with a true classic, and I became very sad. Today, I own a number of beautiful basses, and a couple of guitars too - please don't tell my old music teacher - but none of them fills my heart with joy the way that that old Jazz Bass did. It's true, you know. There's nothing like your first true love.

One day I may come to visit YOUR town, and if I do, I'll be on the lookout for a three-tone Jazz with a Rosewood neck. I miss you, baby. I'm so sorry that I ever let you go. Can you ever forgive me? I hope that whoever's is playing you now knows how special you really are.

XOXO

Oliver

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Dan South (a.k.a Oliver) -

Such a moving story of loves found, and lost... It's got everything - romance, action, music, sheep... :eek:

(Fun reading :thu: )

:D

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

oh well, why not...

born 27 October '58 in Belgium, Europe

I've been playing since I was 13

have had good times which I try to remember forever and less good times which I try to forget about as soon as they're over

currently it's good times - I have a girlfriend who loves me, a job (which I hate, but hey - I've GOT a job), a house to live in and more guitars than I can play at the same time...

if you want to know about my music, visit www.badblues.tk

Dan South (a.k.a Oliver) -

Such a moving story of loves found, and lost... It's got everything - romance, action, music, sheep... :eek:

(Fun reading :thu: )

:D

Thanks! I thought this thread could use a little comic releif. ;)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Just an el questione here......wouldn't it be an AUTOBIOGRAPHY, if you're writing it yourself? So if I wrote Wewus life story it would be a biography? Of course that would be quite easy to do after traveling to Liverpool and talking to all the pub crawlers and denziens of the red light district........... :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Wewus: Try http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dzuul/techovu.htm#system_board_jumpers

Ok, so here's my BIO, as sung to the tune of Closer To Fine [apologies to the Indigo Girls] I just made this up [it's going to be a big, big hit]martin>:

I spent eighteen years in boredom

And the poverty of white trash

I got a healthy dose of religion

In its weekly, weary rant.

I drudged all through an endless

Stream of new schools

I waited till my father decided

That his latest job didn't suck like the last one.

And I worked on my homework

And I strove for perfection

And I hated my intelligence

And I hated my complexion

And I hunkered down and waited,

Waited for a chance to get the hell out of this place

And the closer to my final year of high school

The closer I was to there.

I put my faith in the Air Force

To take me from the south land

And they stuck me out in Germany

With a new wife on my hand.

I really don't know why I was so stupid

To think the first girl who would have me

Was the one that I should have for the rest of my life.

And I spent an endless, endless godforsaken

Five years trying to undo that wrong.

And we moved in together

And she stayed a little too long

In the company of her co-workers

And it wasn't really too long

Until she didn't come at all one night

And me with a two-week baby cradled there in my arms

And the closer to my final year of marriage

The closer I was to there...

Well I left the hell from marriage

And I drove my car some, westward

And I crashed out for an entire year

With some good friends who would help me.

But my best friend had some girl there he was seeing

And his wife spent more and more of her time and effort

Helping me to find myself.

And just before I left there I have to say that I did things I swore that I would never do.

So I looked in the paper

And I found myself a way out

Way out in a place of desert

In a land called California

And I started on the bottom of a crooked ladder.

I put my foot upon the first rung, closed my eyes, prayed and I began to climb.

It would take me ten long years

Of scraping by to get to where there's scenary and I could breathe the air.

And each and ev'ry moment I stand and feel the wind

The closer I am to there. Yeah, the closer I am to there...

I certainly hope we made the audition,

Michael

Not much of an exciting life, like some of the others, but here it is:

Born in 1963 in Louisiana. Grew up on a farm with cows, horses, and all the chores that go with it. I really enjoy the outdoors, hunting, fishing, etc. My love of the outdoors influenced by education decision: B.S. Geology, B.S. Civil Engineering, MBA from LA Tech University. I now work as an Environmental Engineer in my home state (good place to clean up pollution!). I literally live back in the woods in a log house with my wife of 13 years and one step son. I grew up listening to mostly country music and "southern" rock, got my first guitar at age 18, got discouraged and put it down, didn't pick it up again for nearly 10 years. I'm a self taught guitar player, playing mostly rhythm and trying to learn more lead riffs. I now enjoy playing guitar with friends in the town square on Saturday night, playing in church and playing for self entertainment. This forum has been a tremendous source of information for me and I appreciate all of your answers to my feeble questions. I have learned more about tube amps from Myles and now can't read enough about them. Thanks Myles.

Someone mention religion...just my view for what it's worth. Fortunately, I was raised by Christian parents and have been in church all my life. I do believe in God, and I believe He sent His son for our salvation. The longer I work outdoors, the more I believe it was created by a higher power. Just go outside and look around! I hope ya'll will become believers too. Remember, it's not about religion, it's about believing. Just think what Heaven will be like with all these great guitarist! Thanks again.

Ridger

Someone mention religion...just my view for what it's worth. Fortunately, I was raised by Christian parents and have been in church all my life. I do believe in God, and I believe He sent His son for our salvation. The longer I work outdoors, the more I believe it was created by a higher power. Just go outside and look around! I hope ya'll will become believers too. Remember, it's not about religion, it's about believing. Just think what Heaven will be like with all these great guitarist! Thanks again.
I doubt my beliefs will change anytime soon if ever but as long as you reserve judgement in the way that Jesus preaches in the Gospels you're alright by me.

Live for Peace

Matthew 7:1-5

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye', when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

words to live by :thu:

Stephen LeBlanc,

Live for Peace

Matthew 7:1-5

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye', when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

words to live by :thu:

Amen Brother, Amen :cool:
Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

And NOW ... for my autobiography. My first car was a 1953 Mercury that I bought from my grandmother. Oh! Not THAT kind of AUTO-biography! :D

I was born as David William Phoenix in Bridgeport, Connecticut on October 20, 1945.

I was raised in Stratford, CT until the end of sixth grade, then we moved to Milford, CT (across the river from Stratford), where I graduated from Johathan Law (a past governor of the state) High School in 1963, the year of the Split Window Sting Ray Corvette and much great Rock n Roll, a relatively new fad in music. The next fall, my first semester at a local University, JFK was assassinated and the Beatles arrived in the USA. I was following my dream of being a mechanical engineer.

After what my mother described as a deep religious experience (and the doctors called a "Nervous Breakdown"), the family became more involved in a local church, Christ Church, Stratford, CT, an Episcopalian church. I served as Acolyte (serving the Priest at the alter for the blessing and transfiguration of the bread and wine), Crucifer (leading or trailing the procession) and Usher. I sometimes served at all three services (8am, 9:15am and 11am). I did this from about the age of 14 until around late teens to early twenties (with of course time off for school when I was away). I later served for 3 or 4 years as the basketball coach for a previously winless team. We lost the championship game my last year.

After I flunked out of UB, I went to a small college in Northern Vermont. I made many good friends, learned to play the guitar and by the second year had moved off campus. By then Credence Clearwater Revival had broken on the scene when we had our second off-campus digs, The Sty. There were four of us, with fifth and sixth full time visitors. Education had become secondary. Drinking (beer) was primary. Television, a cold beer and a guitar, the world was perfect. I went to classes as often as necessary to pass. We had the Worlds Longest Pop-Top Chain (when the pop-tops came off), officially recognized by Anhauser Busch. I was getting Bs in Science and Math, Cs in Social Studies and English, an A in two semesters of Art Appreciation (boy could I sling the BS) and then came Student Teaching. Due to a very conservative and hipocritical staff, I failed there and went on to become an engineer by practical experience at Sikorsky Aircraft, Remington Arms and Timex (yes the watch people).

In 1972 I bought my (new) Martin D-18. In 1973 I met and married my wife between Remington Arms and Timex. I lost faith in ORGANIZED religion when my old church, that I had served for over ten years, refused to marry me because my wife-to-be had not been divorced for long enough.

She had three autopic pregnancies while we lived in Danbury, CT with a year and a half in Central New Jersey. We moved to Connecticut for six years and then to Massachussetts (near Worchester) and seriously undertook a "career" in Foster Care. In 1986 or so, I decided that I wanted to branch off my music into Rock 'n Roll (I had played Folk, Folk-Rock and CCR). I bought an Ibanez RG270 (2 active HB's) and a Roland JC-55. We eventually adopted our first son, Keith, who will be 14 on 8/22. We moved to the Greenville, South Carolina in 1993, then Rock Hill and then Aiken, SC where we adopted our second son, Dazmen who will be 8 on 8/28.

We moved to Tennessee in 1997, then back to Rock Hill in 2002 just after I bought a 2002 Raven H-S-H and a 1993 Randall Tube Pro II amp :thu:

Now I'm trying to play Blues, Classic Rock and Rock 'n Roll; and maybe bass. I just played the bass line to "Whole Lotta' Love". :cool:

fantasticsound,

I lived in Morristown, TN for 5 years. It's about half way between Knoxville and the Tri-City (Johnson City, etc.) area, just north of the junction of I40 and I81.

Dave the ex-Tennessee Dude

Hey everyone,

I haven't participated in many conversations here as of yet, mostly just been reading other people's posts. But here's a succinct bio...

My name's Tim Clark. I was born in November of 1980 in Massachusetts, and have lived here my whole life. Started piano when I was 4, guitar when I was 8, bass and drums in my early teens. I'm 22 now, graduated from college last year with a Computer Science degree and am working at a software company on Cape Cod Mass.

I've played in mostly blues based jam groups. Did have one more songwriting-oriented group, but it fell apart. Now I'm in a almost 100% blues band playing bass, and it's definitely a fun gig. I play open mics with some friends sometimes, and write a lot of stuff in my spare time.

I'm hugely influenced by Vintage Progressive Rock, Singers/Songwriters, British Invasion, Psychadelia, 1950s/60s Jazz, Classical, Country Rock, Indie Rock, Stand-up Comedy records and Blues. Lately, it's been SRV and Wilco in constant rotation in my car.

Thats about it! Good to meet you all, I look forward to being more active on this forum...

My music is like a movie for your ears - Frank Zappa

Originally posted by Dan South:

Dan - Is the quote from "Dracula"? (just a guess)

Romeo Is Bleeding
damn

:(

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Tim Clark, WELCOME :wave:

Welcome to the forum. As I would guess you've already seen, it's a good group of guys here. :cool:

The fact that there is an almost inexhaustable knowledge base here makes it nearly perfect! :thu:

Hope to hear more from you,

Dave

Hi, second time poster here, but I've lurked for quite a few months. I enjoy learning from the regulars on this board, and will contribute whenever I have something useful to add to a topic, which, after seeing some of the background and credentials of a lot of you folks, may not be often. Y'all know your stuff real well!!

Anyway, I am 46 years old. I've played guitar since I was 16 1/2, but have never really been diligent with practice habits. I have never looked at music as a career, but instead use it as relaxation; hence, I say I've "piddled" with guitar for most of my musical life. I play an Alvarez steel string (copy of a Gibson SJ-200, purchased new in

1975), a Framus nylon string (originally purchased by my mother-in-law around 1970),

a '73 Gibson SG, and a very cheap mandolin. I have an early 70s Fender Princeton Reverb, but rarely use it. I've spent the past 6 years playing in a church praise band, and played all guitars thru a Boss GT-6 into the P.A. after the GT-6 came out; before that, I played only acoustic direct into the P.A. My family is currently un-churched, but I hope to find a church that has solid foundation for my children first, and an opportunity for praise music as well.

I enjoy many styles of music. My album collection growing up included music from Abba to Zappa; favorite artists over the years have included a mix of Yes, Chicago, Harry Chapin, Vince Gill, Eric Clapton, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Beatles, among others, and I've mixed in some jazz and classical as well.

I've lived in North Carolina all of my life, and will likely keep it that way. I'm married, and have a son and a daughter. My name - gtrpir8 - is combined from gtr (from guitar - surprised?) and pir8, short for Pirates, as in East Carolina University. I love college football - unless the BCS continues to screw up everything for the schools not in BCS member conferences, but that belongs on a sports board; I play golf, and I enjoy a small vegetable garden from which I harvest and freeze for later use what I can't cook now.

Let's see, that should cover me for now.

My album collection growing up included music from Abba to Zappa
What, no ZZ Top?? You have something against Warren Zevon?? :D

My CD collection is just as widespread. It's become a spending addiction. I get in those moods where I want to hear everything by an artist, so I just go out and buy it all in one shot. SRV was last week. Ugh. God bless salary jobs :thu:

My music is like a movie for your ears - Frank Zappa

Originally posted by Tim Clark:

My album collection growing up included music from Abba to Zappa
What, no ZZ Top?? You have something against Warren Zevon?? :D

My CD collection is just as widespread. It's become a spending addiction. I get in those moods where I want to hear everything by an artist, so I just go out and buy it all in one shot. SRV was last week. Ugh. God bless salary jobs :thu:

Oops, I stand corrected. My albums do indeed go thru ZZ Top. Still no Zevon in there, however.

Boy, what an addiction, TC! I don't think my wife would let me go that crazy! HAving two pricy hobbies - music and golf - can eat up a budget in a big hurry!

Hey there gtrpir8 !

Welcome aboard!

:wave:

Many thanks! Like I said, I've lurked for quite a while, and have enjoyed the wealth of opinions and information that appears on this site. I look forward to contributing when I have something useful or fun.

I might as well add my 2 cents here, since we all have guitar in common. I'm Scott, 53, and have lived all my life (so far) in Maryland, except for four years in San Antonio in the Air Force back in the 70's. I'm a route driver for a local foodservice company, and play in a weekend country band.

I started on guitar in my mid-teens, learning folk music on an old nylon string guitar, playing in a folk group in school. I moved up to a Yamaha 12 string while in the service, playing a lot of *Harvest* era Neil Young, Beatles, America, and stuff like that. After I got out in 1974, I bought the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's *Circle* album, and got into bluegrass. I bought my first good guitar, a 1975 Martin sunburst D-35. It was about this time that I became interested in learning to play lead, so I took lessons for a couple years from a wonderful old (actually, he was only about 55 at the time) black guy who grew up playing jazz clubs in Baltimore in his teens. He had a Les Paul copy, and I'd go to my lessons and just want to listen to him play, he was great. I don't remember a single lick he showed me, but I give him all the credit in the world for getting me started. An interesting sidebar to this story is, I lost touch with him for 25 years after I quit taking lessons. A couple years ago, I was making a delivery to a new account on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and the kitchen manager was an elderly black woman. She told me she lived in Stevensville, so I asked her if she knew a guitar teacher named Al Smith. She said, "Well, I should, I've been married to him for 50 years"! Naturally, the first thing I did was get on the phone to him, it was great to know he was still around and have a chance to talk to him.

Anyway, in 1978 I got hired for my first country band, on the strength of the bass player hearing me play along with a couple tunes on the Eagles' Greatest Hits album. Since I was going *pro*, ;) I had to get a decent electric guitar, so I bought a '78 LP Custom. I had never listened to country in my life at that point, so I was pretty lost in that first band, but it was a good learning experience, and helped me to get over stage fright. (I still don't listen to much country, I prefer classic rock from the 70's, and the *cheesy* 80's stuff. The country I do like is the old stuff, what they call country today is mostly easy listening with a steel guitar thrown in!)

Since then, I've stayed pretty busy in local bands, developed a good case of GAS, and look forward to continuing my playing. I'm not the fastest player out there, I feel that playing tastefully makes up for lack of speed. The only thing that's gotten worse over the years is having to tear down after a job, these arthritic knees get pretty tired at 1:00 AM!

So, now you know my boring life story, but I do enjoy being a member of this forum, and hope to keep on learning!

My gear: http://fendercaster.freeservers.com/guit3.html

If you own two Lexus cars, do you have Lexi?

Archived