Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The guitar you screwed up?

RM

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

too many to list... but those that come to mind

Gibson firebird from the 60's

3 or 4 strats and teles from the late 60's

a butchered 67 tele that was the most amazing sounding guitar ever. It wasn't collectible when I got it so adding a third pickup didn't harm the value at all but that guitar could sing.

a Gurian S2 maple cutaway

a Mossman Flint Hills

a couple of Martins

and in amps:

'64 Fender Deluxe Reverb

'70 Marshall 50 half stack

Roy

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/alexisdmusic.htm

"once it stops bein' a mystery it stops bein' true"

David Mowaljarlai - Ngarinyin Aboriginal Elder

Too many to count huh...

A one off Standel, De Angelico type, single neck mounted DeArmond, carved face and back, 7 inlays,

Strat/Standel fret action, ebony, abolone...

I cut a hole in the face and mounted a 74 GIbson control set and humbucker...

I still have it, running flat wounds and it plays fast...

Somehow, I've picked up a few Ibanez lawsuit models,

The Les Paul Recording, the original flame maple, veneer pre Benson L5 (No english writing at all inside on the ID tag), an SG bass...

I still have a 62 Nashville, have all original parts but put an sg tunematic on the saddle...had a pot installed next to the toggles, that at least if repairable...

Rick Danko's Guild classical...inact, early Ibanez Artist, intact...Saber from early 90's, intact, Ragtime, intact,

Pre CBS late 64 Mustang, intact....

Crap this turned into a collection thread...sorry...

Anyway, the Telecaster early 60's gone...traded for a Villager 12, (DOH)...

Thanks...

Rob :wave:

Don't think it would be worth a fortune...but, I had an old Gibson Melody Maker (the one that looked like a really thin version of a double cutaway Les Paul Jr.) with one single coil pickup in it that I tried to refinish. Yuchh...did a horrible job. Don't know whatever became of it. I was going to set the action high and use it for slide. Funny...I haven't thought of that guitar in 25 years. Oh well.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

When I was in school I had an early '60s Gibson Les Paul (SG-shaped) which had the fastest neck I've EVER played. Unfortunately, it only had a single P-90 and I wanted to be Randy Rhoads. SO, I gutted all the electronics; routed, no, CHISELED out a hole for a neck pickup; hack-sawed the control cavity out (the controls had been mounted to a pickguard) and fiberglassed a new control mounting surface on the guitar's top. I made a cheezy plexiglass cover for the rear of the control cavity, bought two DiMarzio SDs, and drilled holes for as many knobs and switches as you can imagine...kinda like those early BC Rich guitars. Over the years, I would come up with new schematics and refill and redrill the control cavity for the new configuration. I also refinished the guitar several times (green, gold white), all with paint in a spray can from the friendly neighborhood auto-body shop. And, it always looked like shit. It had been a really pretty cherry when I bought it. Man, I bastardized that poor unsuspecting guitar...
None more black.

I threw a P-J bass across as room, broke the neck, refinished the cheap ass body, put a beautiful Warmouth fretless neck on it that never really set right, and in combo with those cheap Pups, it wa just never the same. Looks like shit too. Someday, I'll buy a new body and pups for it, and it should be one heck of a bass.
I really don't know what to put here.

I didn't ruin it and it wasn't worth a lot. But it sorta fits the criteria. It was a Dimarzio strat neck back when they made pretty good quality "parts". It felt SO good with just the sanding sealer, and finishing was something I didn't want to go into, so I just played it for several years, on a couple of different bodies. The fretboard started to show a lot of wear. I gave it to a friend in about '85 and lost track of him shortly after. It could be anywhere. Ben, can I have it back now?

2 Early 70's Gibson LP Deluxes and an 82 Explorer E2 with flamed top. All my Strats from the 70s would have been 5 times as much. Sold em toooooooo sooooon. Boo hoo. :(

Psalm 33:3

The best instrument you have, is your heart.

A really great (in hindsight) acoustic archtop. It was a beautiful coffeeburst color. In the early 70's, I sanded the thing down and did a Buck Owens to it. You know, red, white & blue. Thing is, I used enamel paint & it just killed the tone of the guitar. I was just learning to play a bit at the time & even I could tell the sound was ruined. I gave the thing away.

Now I know better. I'd have resanded it and applied clear lacquer or just oiled it.

NOW I KNOW!

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Back in the 70's I had the brilliant idea to re-finish my Tele. Used paint remover and got all the lacquer off, but the undercoat wouldn't budge. Called Fender; ME: "What will take the undercoat off of one of your guitars?" Fender: "Nothing that we know of..."

I was already committed so I had to sand/grind that stuff off. Once I got through, the wood (swamp ash) had great looking grain but the surface looked like a relief map from all my messing. I refinished it with urethane I think and learned Dak's lesson. That stuff damps the sound of the wood and doesn't improve with age like lacquer. Still got the body up in a closet somewhere.

I had a MX Magnum (2 humbucker Tele style) that I routed for an extra 'bucker. Custom switching, and a brass nut. one of the holes for the pots was drilled too big, so I had to patch it up.

I put in a Carvin M22SD, and I should have gotten that pickup out of that guitar, I really liked it. :(

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

I 'converted' a '60's VOX SunburstTeardrop Bass

into an electric (8-string) bouzouki by adding a

four-peg 'machine-strip' to the headstock and

replacing the original nut with an 8-slot one...

It actually kinda worked, and I still have it...

I knew at the time I was ruining the value,

but I really wanted an electrobouzouki, and

I 'knew' that the conversion would be successful...

I originally got that bass w/case

(and a new E-Bow) by trading away

'The World's Worst Strat'

(which was both horrible and ugly)...

Possibly my best instrument swap...!

I also retrofitted a '50's Oahu lap steel

with a slightly thicker 'fret-line-plate'

(the plexiglas 'fingerboard' under the strings)...

It was transformed into a funky fretless 6-string...

That was a very successful 'mod',

and since I kept the original 'plate',

I could return it to factory-condition

if I were to ever sell it (which I wouldn't)...

Bob Phillips

20to20soundesign

Bob Phillips

20to20soundesign

Neither of these guitars are worth much, but this should at least be entertaining-

I had a Harmony electric- one of those cheeseball things you see in the Sears catalogue. It had a neck pickup and a middle pickup, but no bridge pickup. Since i was an angst-ridden teen i wanted a more `metally' sound out of it so i tried to move the "middle" pickup to where a bridge pickup would be. In the process i ended up jacking up the mounts for the pickup and pretty much ruined the whole thing.

I tore all the electronics out of it, stuck the pickguard back on (pickup cavities + 2 pickup holes == resonance), and it spent the rest of its days in my possession as a Harmony Thinline Acoustic.

As a side note, i didn't paint the guitar. I got it used and it already had about 5 coats of Krylon on it. What a piece.

My strat.

One day i decided that my strat looked just like everyone elses' strat- black body, white pickguard, white knobs, white pickups. So the next day i went down to the music store and got some black pickup covers and knobs. To my surprise the pickups were waxed-into (potted) the white pickup covers. In the conversion i tried re-potting them but didn't have enough wax left to do it right- i eventually wrapped electrical tape around the pickups and stuffed them into the covers.

(yes, this is embarrassing to talk about)

Anyhow, the guitar is fine at medium volume levels clean, but stomp on the distortion box and it screams bloody fscking murder.

Oh well.. one of these days i'll just get some new pups and use the guitar as a rewiring project.

Can anyone describe what P-90s sound like in a strat?

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Archived