Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Prince When Doves Cry Intro

John Brown

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the trying to learn it for youself. However, there are times when a man doesn't know what is going on (like if you didn't know what finger tapping was, and were having trouble picking a song),and that is where the wise words of his fellow Humans can be of service.

I have the first part, I think, but the second part eludes me. I have slowed it down to molasses, and am still at a loss. I hear the wah, but some of the notes are pretty muddy, and If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Kronus

Also, I am not that good really, and not all of that learned, guitar wise, so arppegios etc. slide right past my ears, unfortunately, but it sounded right on.

If that lick could be copped by ear I'd have it! It has an incredible tone and musical effect that I think is beyond the exact notes used. I'd settle for emulating that mood and drama if I could...

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

We played that song ages ago when it was out. I haven't tried it in years, but seems like I just jammed my way down to that held note, and then jammed my way back up to the last stretchy note. I probably didn't do it note for note, but I'm sure I caught the feel.

As I recall, he's got an octive doubler thingy going on.

I use a wonderfull little application called amazing slowdowner that is very good for transcribing and also to practice a tune that's to challenging in it's original tempo. It doesn't change the pitch no matter how much you slow the track down (up to 400%) but you can also change the pitch if you want (useful for playing a song in another key or when it's tuned down and you don't want to retune your guitar). You can even isolate any portion of the track you want and loop it until you learned it!

I' ve tried when doves cry and you can get the notes clearly (that arpegio is a bit chaotic though). Go get it and figure it out for yourself! :)

http://www.ronimusic.com/

That intro, along with a few other licks Prince too seldom gets into, shows that in spite of not neccessarily liking his kind of music it cannot blot out the fact that he's a very underrated guitarist. Other guitarists I know refuse to acknowledge it because they don't like the tunes.

I say, musicianship is musicianship, regardless

of the so-called "genre".

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Originally posted by koolkid:

HE WAS DEFINITELY A MASTER IN THE STUDIO,I WONDER IF HE PULLED THAT LICK OFF LIVE?

He certainly does.

While doing the splits in fact.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

While you're working that out, there's one more crucial element to nailing the tone: make sure you try it through a Boss Octave pedal (the brown one) set to half normal and half octave 1. Prince was (is) big on Boss effects pedals, and he went through a phase where he used that octave pedal quite extensively, 'Doves' being the most obvious example. Of course, you really need his hands and talent to truly capture the lick. Good luck.

Man when I was a kid I saw the Purple Rain tour, and Prince and is it Wendy or Lisa? just blew the longest and most exalted acid rock solos all night long... Damn they were good.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Originally posted by Jotown:

Originally posted by koolkid:

HE WAS DEFINITELY A MASTER IN THE STUDIO,I WONDER IF HE PULLED THAT LICK OFF LIVE?

He certainly does.

While doing the splits in fact.

i would rather try the lick than the splits :freak:

I'll have to get that song now... *downloads*

"Money, Bitchez and Cheese!"

http://www.playspoon.com/nollykin/files/voxline.gif

"I never thought about it, and I never stopped to feel -

But I didn't want you telling me just what to think was real.

And as simple as it comes, I only wanted to express-

...But with expression comes regret - and I don't want you hating me."

Archived