Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Duane Allman slide playing

SEHpicker

I've been exploring the slide style of Brother Duane and am curious who else out there is as blown away as I am. Can someone tell me if he played slide with standard or open tuning? Did he use a pick or did he fingerpick or both? What finger did he wear the slide on? Also, seems like all the glass slides out there are so friggin huge that they get a bit cumbersome. I use a steel slide that is considerably smaller and has great sounding tone but folks are always harping on how much better glass slides sound. Any suggestions? Also what was Duane's guitar/amp set-up on one of the all-time greatest (in my humble opinion) live recordings: Live at Filmore East?

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duane's setup for slide usually was an old SG tuned to open E, a Coraciden (sp) bottle for a slide, and a 100w Plexi through a 4x12 Marshal cab loaded with JBL's and no back on the cab.

Hope that helps. I hate the heavy slides myself, you might try what works for me: Dunlop 210 on my ring finger.

SEHpicker:

Duane Allman was amazing. He also used a '59 Les Paul Standard and wore the slide on his ring finger. He didn't use a pick for slide.

Your interest in his setup is a good thing but I suggest that you not try to copy it too closely. There are A TON of players who try to duplicate his sound and style (enough that several manufacturers currently make reproductions of the Corocidin bottle that he used). You're better off developing your own sound and style. Glass slides arent "better" than metal ones, just different. If you prefer a steel one, that's what you should use.

I remember reading a Lee Roy Parnell (or is it Leroy?) interview where he said that he finally hid his Allman Bros. records under his bed and switched to a Strat because he was sounding too much like Duane. The curse of many a slide player.

BTW, if you haven't already heard him, you should check out Sonny Landreth. He takes slide to a new level. Elmore James is essential listening too.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Other well known slide masters include:

Ry Cooder

Johnny Winter

Rory Gallagher

and two of the guys the A-bros have used for the "Duane" parts in their band...

Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks.

Derek in particular is worth learning about. He's a very young guy, (cousin of A-bros drummer Dutch Trucks). He first played with the Allman's on stage when he was 12... now about 20, he's the A-bros. current "Duane" part guy, and has developed into an innovative, and creative player who's got one foot in the blues and the other in the Coltrane type jazz stuff... Although he has mastered the Duane vibe, he's got his own voice in his own material. A real prodigy, he's worth checking out if he comes to your town or pickup one of his cd's.

Warren is also amazing, and is continuing on with his band Gov't Mule, after the loss of his long time friend and former A-bros bass player, Allen Woody...

His latest cd, The Deep End Volume 1, is awesome with guest bass players playing on every cut... some of these include: Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers), Bootsy Collins (James Brown, P-Funk), Mike Watt (Minutemen, fIREHOSE) and Mike Gordon (Phish)... alongside rock legends like Jack Bruce (Cream) and John Entwistle (The Who).

It's passionate and hot... in some ways reminds me of the way the emotion of Duane's death made its way into the music Greg and the rest of the band created while they were finishing Eat a Peach. Ain't wastin' time no more is my favorite cut from that album and makes me feel the pain Greg was going through after the loss of his brother.

Have fun exploring these players...

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

I also observe that learning slide is in someways easier and in some ways very much more difficult that other "styles." In open tuning (E, G, etc) where a good bit of slide is played, it's relatively easy to get the basic, most-heard blues licks down.

The hard part (for me anyway) was developing the right muting technique with left and right hands so you are only getting the note and overtones you intend. Especially on electric guitar where almost every movement on the slide on the strings is going to be heard without muting.

As for slides, they're cheap so I bought glass, steel, brass, and ceramic ones to try them all and see what sound came out and which I liked.

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

glad to see a post concernin "brother duane" who to me played as no one has since nor before!

(what a poorly formed sentence!)

anyway i still got 2 'coracidin' bottles-one w/ label and one w/out-i prefer the one w/ out and they sound like *nothing* else on guitar strings .

s

:cool:

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

I hated using Coricidin (correct spelling, I had a consistently runny nose when I was a kid)..bottles. They sounded great, but, the closed end made for a very sweaty finger. Gee, that sounds lewd in retrospect.

This topic touches on religion to me.

Other favorite slide players...

Lowell George

A guy who was with the Allman Brothers for a brief time before Warren Haynes who wore a hat similar to Lowell George. Can't think of his name.

Johnny Winter

Bonnie Raitt

AND...to me, one of the most innovative slide players ever, because he reinvented the technique and did something completely different from the usual blues runs...a guy who is far underappreciated in this regard, and yet played some of the most melodic slide phrases...the guy without whom many of us would never have picked up the guitar in the first place...

The late great George Harrison.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster:

A guy who was with the Allman Brothers for a brief time before Warren Haynes who wore a hat similar to Lowell George. Can't think of his name.

"Dangerous Dan Toler" was the guy who preceeded Warren. He probably had the hardest situation since he was the first "Duane replacement".

This is a great thread that helped me remember the great slide players... Lowell George, George Harrison, Bonnie Raitt... mmmm yeah! Right on Tedster! :thu:

On the subject of tuning, I know Warren Haynes likes "normal" tuning, and he bases his licks from his non-slide playing.

On the subject of muting, (which is VERY important in slide playing imho), Warren says he relies a lot on right hand muting with the palm and fingers not holding the pick.

In the litany of slide players... the odd-ball tip of the hat goes to Jimi for his use of the microphone stand, rings, cigarette lighter or whatever else he had nearby... Slide on the fly! :eek:

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Nobody yet has mentioned the one and only Jeff Beck, a fantastic slide player as well as one of the best "normal" (i.e., non-slide) rock guitar players of all time...

Another really fine slide player who is more know for non-slide playing is Mick Taylor, former Bluesbreaker and Rolling Stone.

There's also Sonny Landreth from Louisiana, played with Zachary Richard and John Hiatt, a truly advanced and amazing player...

Duane used a open E tuning, except on "Dreams" and "Mountain Jam" where he used a standard tuning. On "Mountain Jam" he uses a Les Paul and on "Statesboro Blues" and "Done Somebody Wrong" he uses a SG. He pkayed through 2 50watt Marshall Super lead MK II with JBL F120s and the back on his Marshall 4x12 cabinets were open. Duane used Coricidian bottles.

There is a company that makes a slide called The Duane Allman Slide. It is an EXACT copy (the others on the market are not). Red Dog found a case of Duane's slides about 5 years ago. He gave one to John McGough. John contacted the same people who made the original bottles and had molds made (about $25-30,000 each). I have to keep my originals separate because you can't tell the difference. Guitar Center sells them for around $10.

Buddy

I don't mean any disrespect. I liked the Allman Bros. But I wasn't too impressed with Duane's slide playing. Yeah, I can't slide worth a damn (really never tried, but am going to. See my later post.) Others out there caught my attention more. They were mentioned earlier..Winter, Warren, Raitt (as a young woman she was a knockout on slide AND looks! Still is, I think),Cooder and as Tedster said, the underrated, late, great George Harrison. Add to that list Matt Andes, who did all that fine work on the first few Jo Jo Gunne albums. Brother of bassist Mark Andes from Spirit, Gunne and later, Heart(after they mellowed out FAR too much!), he had a touch that was flawless in execution. Check him out!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

"A guy who was with the Allman Brothers for a brief time before Warren Haynes who wore a hat similar to Lowell George. Can't think of his name."

I think the guy you're speaking of is Jack Pearson and yes, he is an incredible slide player. You should check out his work on Jimmy Hall's CD "Rendevous with the Blues" Truely amazing.

Support Live Music

My Gear Page: www.catfishflats.com/Guitar.htm

Yeah, it must have been Jack Pearson. I wasn't necessarily thinking of Dangerous Dan...I know what he looks like. Saw him with the Gregg Allman band live in Tallahassee. He rocks, too...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived