Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Must have studio recording Amps

selloutrr

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's your budget? Are you looking for the full spread, or the bare bones?

Here's the full deal (spare no expense):

-Fender Twin Reverb (Blackface or late 60s silverface. Reissue will work.). Workhorse amp for great clean sounds. Lots of headroom. This was THE standard studio amp in the 60s/70s.

-Fender Super Reverb (Blackface or late 60s silverface. Reissue will work.). Good clean sounds with less headroom than Twin. Great amp for slightly overdriven tones.

-Some sort of 50s Tweed Fender. Bassman (not reissue), Bandmaster, Super, Deluxe, etc. For fat midrangey blues/rock sound.

-60s or 70s Marshall Super Lead. For classic high gain rock sound. If you have the dough, get a 60 watt Komet amp (designed by Ken Fischer) instead. Match either with closed back 4x12 loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s.

-Roland JC-120. Classic solid-state amp for super clean sounds. Built-in stereo chorus is amazing. Also indestructable.

-Mesa Dual Rectifier with matching 4x12 Mesa cab. For modern super high gain "scooped-mid" metal sound.

-Matchless DC30 or Vox AC30. For chimey "Beatlesque" clean sounds or sustained Brian May dirty sounds. Also great for country.

-THD Univalve. For everything else.

Here's the bare bones:

-Fender Twin Reverb.

-THD Univalve.

-Mesa Dual Rectifier Trem-O-Verb combo.

-4x12 cab loaded with Celestion G12T75 speakers.

Pedals:

-Dunlop Cry Baby wah.

-Ibanez Tube Screamer overdrive.

-Boss Metal Zone distortion.

-Pro Co Rat 2 distortion.

-Boss CE-1 chorus.

-MXR Phase 90 phaser.

-Line 6 delay modeller.

-some sort of flanger.

-some sort of ring modulator.

-Some wacky ZVex pedals for weird stuff (fuzz factory, machine, seek wah, analog sampler, etc.).

Have fun!!!!!

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

what about

orange 120 OD head / cab

Hiwatt 50 watt head or 2x12 combo

soldano

marshall 45 plexi

or the marshall bluesbreaker

would you choose the piggy back vox ac30 ( head and cab or the combo )

thanks

ya'll must have big studios! for me, i'd pick things like a fender vibrochamp, a tweed deluxe, a princeton reverb, a marshall studio 15, a deluxe reverb, a gibson goldtone, an AC15, and don't forget the little teeny battery powered marshall, oh and a leslie 147!

-d. gauss

Originally posted by selloutrr:

what about

orange 120 OD head / cab

Hiwatt 50 watt head or 2x12 combo

soldano

marshall 45 plexi

or the marshall bluesbreaker

would you choose the piggy back vox ac30 ( head and cab or the combo )

thanks

They all look like nice choices!The AC30..Hummm combo is what I'd go for{open back}..Less folks are going to come in with that rigg..Most guys/gals have the high gain thing on their own..That amp would fill in the gap in thier sounds more often{IMHO}

What? you mean I can take this block of fine swiss and make a song??...COOL!

Don

The small Mesa's sound fantastic. I don't think they're making the Studio Calibers anymore though. The Mesa clean sound rivals a Twin Reverb and you certainly don't have to scoop the middle with those guys. I can get a Santana meets Brian May out of my Mk IV with ease.

For recording, you can get a lot of mileage out of Pignose's and small practice amps.

I'd definately get a Fender Pro Jr.

Originally posted by d gauss:

ya'll must have big studios! for me, i'd pick things like a fender vibrochamp, a tweed deluxe, a princeton reverb, a marshall studio 15, a deluxe reverb, a gibson goldtone, an AC15, and don't forget the little teeny battery powered marshall, oh and a leslie 147!

-d. gauss

Personally .... I like your choices

Regards,

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Archived