Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which of these would be the best choice?

GuitarWolf

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, D...

All depends on the sound you're going for. I read that you were checking out the Tom DeLonge Strat...so, if you're into that kind of thing, probably better to get something with a humbucker, like an Epi Paul, or an Ibanez. If you're into more of a bluesy edge, or just like your chords cleaner, I'd go with single coils...(Strat Style).

But, play a few of 'em. What do your heroes play?

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

The Fender or Ibanez would be my choice. Depending on your style and which one feels better to you.

Keep in mind, with all production guitars, there are diamonds in the rough. I've seen some pretty decent Epis and Squires and Samicks, and I've seen some really crappy ones. Play as many as you can and look for differences between guitars of the same model.

If you have a good local guitar store, get to know some of the salesmen and ask them which models they like. If they are good people, they will stear you right.

Try to play them all of course, but the best made one of the bunch would probably be a Yamaha Pacifica. You have to play a few of them as they vary from guitar to guitar, but for the money they are tough to beat. I think they are *much* better quality than an Epiphone or Squier.

Funny thing - Randy Bachman from BTO and The Guess Who plays Pacificas now almost exclusively. A couple friends of mine bought Pacificas that were really nice guitars. I think James Peters is on his second or third one. He has two Tele-style ones now.

I recently bought a DeArmond M75 that I absolutely adore. It was very inexpensive and quite well made - better than an Epiphone. The only problem with it was the electronics shorted out. I fixed that, replaced the pots and put speed knobs on it and it's a great guitar!

I'd go for the Fender. Epiphone, ESP LTD and Ibanez all make some really nice guitars but you have to spend $500-$700 to get a real quality guitar from them. Fender's MIM standard line are great guitars for amazing prices. I myself use a MIM Tele. Love the little devil.

I'd be going ibanezzy.

The RG series is nice. It sounds the same as my guitar - the SA - maybe a little chunkier in the hyumbuck. The ones with H-S-S that I tried were very nice - I just didnt like the look of them, so I chose the SA.

Yamahas, what I tried were very nice. As for the others - never tried them. I'd be suggesting the Ibanez.

Nolly

"Money, Bitchez and Cheese!"

http://www.playspoon.com/nollykin/files/voxline.gif

"I never thought about it, and I never stopped to feel -

But I didn't want you telling me just what to think was real.

And as simple as it comes, I only wanted to express-

...But with expression comes regret - and I don't want you hating me."

Archived