Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I need help

GuitarWolf

Hi, i really wanna start playing guitar but im having trouble chooseing between Bass and Electric guitar, they both sound awesome... It seems like Bass just plays background tones but it can have some sweet solos and can play a big part in Jazz and in music that follows the style of :evil: Godsmack. :evil: On the other hand Electric guitar can also have sweet solos and plays a major part in punk rock and other music styles. I would really apreaciate it if someone could give me some advise on how to choose the type of guitar thats right for me. :thu:

When i was checking out guitars in my local store, and on the net the prices of both bass and electric were really high for my budget, could u give me any advise on how to find a good guitar at a low price ($279 and below)

YtseJam your Majesty!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You oughta hang out here, and at Tom Capasso's Low Down Lowdown forum for awhile...it might help you decide which crowd you fit in with better...bass players or guitar players.

This might sound weird coming on this forum, but if you choose bass, and become proficient, you'll have people clamoring for you to join their band. Too many guitar players around.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Very true what dedster said - it is also about wether you as a person prefers to sit in the background or take the lead - and wether you're more of a rythm person or a lead person... really - it comes down to what you think is best.

Nolly

"Money, Bitchez and Cheese!"

http://www.playspoon.com/nollykin/files/voxline.gif

"I never thought about it, and I never stopped to feel -

But I didn't want you telling me just what to think was real.

And as simple as it comes, I only wanted to express-

...But with expression comes regret - and I don't want you hating me."

I originally started as a bass player and later converted to guitar. I would recommend that a beginner try the reverse approach - i.e. learn guitar first and then you can expand to bass.

The reason I recommend this is that when I first learned bass, I got used to playing only single notes on these relatively large and wide spaced 4 strings. When I tried to learn guitar, I had a heck of a time getting my fretting fingers to cleanly finger chord voicings without damping adjacent strings. To be truthful, I got so frustrated that I gave up 2 times before I finally told myself to stick it out. Eventually, I was able to break through and developed the strength, dexterity and callouses needed to play the guitar (when it clicked it was like riding a bike) and things went much easier from then on. I believe it would be easier to learn bass after you have learned some guitar fundamentals.

Another consideration is that bass is normally just a rhythm instrument and you really need to play with other musicians to make music and play songs. A guitar can be both a rhythm and lead instrument but is versatile in that you can play for and entertain others both as a soloist (i.e. as an instrumentalist, vocalists, or both) and also as part of a band.

As far as instruments go, you can get a made in Mexico Fender Stratocaster guitars (they are pretty good guitars for the money) within your budget. If you want to go cheaper, you can check out the Yamaha Pacific models (they are cheaper Strat copies) but make sure you bring a guitar friend to fully check out any guitar before buying it (e.g. check it acoustically to ensure all notes on all strings ring clearly without dead spots or excess fret buzz) and electrically so that you are happy with its amplified tone.

I'm not as familiar with basses that are available within your budget but I think Fender offers both Precison basses and Jazz basses in their Squier line which are affordable. You could also check the Fender, made in Mexico basses.

If you are not familiar with the Fender guitar line, in terms of Highest Quality/Highest Price to Lowest the line goes like this: Highest:American Made; Middle:Mexican Made; Lowest: Squier line (made in Korea).

My personal view on the situation...

Guitar! Of course!

I'd list the reasons why, but I don't want to offend any bass players.

Okay, here's 2 reasons that are pretty unoffensive...

Basses are too heavy and damn ugly.

Originally posted by Lancer:

I would recommend that a beginner try the reverse approach - i.e. learn guitar first and then you can expand to bass.

I agree with this methodology. I learned guitar, and although I'm not extremely proficient on the bass, I can comfortably come up with pretty cool bass passages when I record. All because I got my fundamentals on the ol' 6-string.

I think it would be more difficult the other way around - but that's just my opinion.

Originally posted by D-Prime:

Hi, i really wanna start playing guitar but im having trouble chooseing between Bass and Electric guitar, they both sound awesome... It seems like Bass just plays background tones but it can have some sweet solos and can play a big part in Jazz and in music that follows the style of :evil: Godsmack. :evil: On the other hand Electric guitar can also have sweet solos and plays a major part in punk rock and other music styles. I would really apreaciate it if someone could give me some advise on how to choose the type of guitar thats right for me. :thu:

Do you dance? I mean, really, truely dance? Do you get out on the dance floor and just move and groove and seem to have endless energy and improvisation? If that's you, play bass. A good bass player needs a lot of qualities, but first and foremost they've got to be able to groove. If you can't find the groove on a dance floor, you probably shouldn't play bass.

All other applicants should play keyboards or drums, as there are way too many guitarists.

Nolly ... rhythm guitar? Lead Guitar? What are those? I'm a bit confused as to the difference. Is that why Gibson put lead and rhythm on the Pickup selector on LPs? I assume it's so that the LP player can look down and remember what they are supposed to be playing. ;) Play guitar, Nolly. Don't play lead. Don't play rhythm. Just play the darn thing and make it sound good.

I really don't know what to put here.

Play guitar, Nolly. Don't play lead. Don't play rhythm. Just play the darn thing and make it sound good.
I totally agree with Sylver. Don't confine yourself to one aspect or style. Whichever you choose to learn, bass or guitar, be a well rounded player. Look at players like Hendrix or Page (just to name a couple well known ones). They didn't have the luxury of having someone to back them up. They just played an amalgamation of lead and rythym and they did it amazingly well. To me that is much more impressive, and that is what I seek to accomplish. Also don't think of the Bass as a background instrument. Each instrument is as important as the next and has it's place and purpose in a group setting. Try to tell John Paul Jones that his instrument is only for background. A good Bass part is as gripping to me as a rippin guitar solo. Take the Bass part out of any song and listen to how much power and drive it loses, and that is coming from a guitar player. As far as which you should learn, that decision is completely up to you. Learning both would be a good idea too, and you would be that much more versatile. Go to one of the large wholesale dealers and you can find a deal on a guitar or bass that would be sufficient to begin learning on and you can usually find one in a package that would have all you need. Remember you have to start somewhere. Also about what tedster said about guitarists outnumbering bassists. He's 100% right, but if you discipline yourself to become a great player of either you will be in high demand.

Archived