Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what you hate about fender

retroguitarist

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I own an 98 Strat, a 99 Tele, a 91 Fender Urge bass and a Hot Rod Deluxe. I also string my Strat with Fender bullets. I would say that I don't hate anything about Fender. I think that they make quality products at resonable prices, unlike a lot of other guitar and amp manufacturers these days. I don't really dig their bass amps, though.
I really don't know what to put here.

I have a 2000 Texas Special and I don't think I could be happier. It's the best guitar I've ever owned. My brother-in-law complains about newer American Fenders using the micro tilt neck. He claims this robs the guitar of tone but I don't know if I'd be able to detect the difference.

Zig

Don't really hate much about Fender. Their post-CBS mid 70s guitars...well, er...okay...I had a couple of Strats that would NOT stay in tune no matter what I did.

Nowadays, though, heck...I've got two..er, well, since one was "stolen" by my daughter, one Strat. Both of 'em are swell, though. They're both USA...but...y'know...

Brings me to another topic. In Missouri here, it's not too hard to find a bunch of old guys with sweet old Fenders, Gibsons, Martins, etc. Big dollar guitars these days for the collectible value. A lot of these ol' boys, well, they ain't the best players in the world. They play three chords. But, by God, they've got these guitars. Me? I'd rather have something decent that I can play and not worry about it getting stolen...in other words...I'd rather have a brand spankin' new Mexican Strat, and be able to play it, then a '57 Strat and suck.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by retroguitarist:

their new stuff isn't that good. i own a 66 adn 67 strat pre-cbs era. the bolt plate is just 3 screws not 4. the new fender stuff is just bad to me. I use Ernie Ball Slinky's on my fenders, Dean Mrkley strings on my LP, and MArkleys on my SG

Admittedly, when CBS took over the Fender brand, quality suffered. BUT, and this is a big but ... Fender investors regained control in 1991, and strove to bring Fender back to where they once were. Both my Strat and my Tele have 4 screw bolt plates. They reintroduced that in '91. All the parts on the new MIA Fenders guitars and Basses are made in America. Incidently, the MIM guitars arn't that bad, either. Granted, the workmanship isn't what it is on the MIA's, but for $350 to $600, they're pretty damn good guitars. All my MIA Fenders are quality instruments, which play, feel and sound great.

Originally posted by DC_Jim:

As a paul man myself, I just don't like their sound. :)

But aside from that, I really don't like the bridge. Goes out of tune too easily and harder to palm mute. I like the necks though.

You're talking about the Strat Trem bridge I guess. Fender does make Hard Tail Strats with no tuning problems, and Teles don't have Trems, either. Hey, it's a trem, you know? It's part of the charm. But, that said, if you set up a trem Strat correctly, and use Fender bullet strings, they stay in tune pretty well. As long as you don't abuse the trem that is. It ain't no Floyd Rose, but extreme trem work went out about '91. Oh, and I palm mute all the time, and have no problems.

Originally posted by retroguitarist:

what is it you hate soo much about fender these days?

...the prices? Oh, wait - theyve always been like that...

:D

"Money, Bitchez and Cheese!"

http://www.playspoon.com/nollykin/files/voxline.gif

"I never thought about it, and I never stopped to feel -

But I didn't want you telling me just what to think was real.

And as simple as it comes, I only wanted to express-

...But with expression comes regret - and I don't want you hating me."

their new stuff isn't that good. i own a 66 adn 67 strat pre-cbs era. the bolt plate is just 3 screws not 4.
Uh. . .CBS bought Fender in 1965. Yours are CBS Fenders. I also thought the 3-bolt neck was a 1970's thing. Is this correct?
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by Sylver:

There goes Tedster...into the Colombian Supremo again...

You know that could be taken several ways, Ted.

That's what's so funny about people my age...when we were in our late teens we were talking about (Tommy Chong voice) "Hey man, I tried some great Colombian the other day. And man, some great Jamaican, and Sumatran".

Nowadays, I use the exact same phrases to describe...COFFEE... :D:D:D:D

...Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

They've modified everything they can about the basic design from the 50's, but the input jacks still unscrew and mess up the wiring. Idiotic.

They're also smoking crack; they have more models and variations of the same guitar than anyone, it's stupid and confusing to the buyer.

They're also counter marketing themselves by continuing to elevate the price (as well as change the name) of what was the "american standard" strat, while letting the quality be all over the place.

I saw a Mexican deluxe strat (which is now a "standard" strat????) today that had a crazy striped/figured neck; if you wanted that same neck on a custom shop it would be $$$$$$. It's like they're doing the guitar equivalent of the Chewbacca defense at Fender.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Nothing. They're great. The american mades are three times more expensive, but not three times better instruments than the mexis, which annoys me but I certainly don't hate Fender. Fender make great amps, basses, guitar, electric violins ect. I played a Robin Ford Elite. (pretty much a Fender made double cut Les Paul for $2000) It was AMAZING! Bloody awesome!!! The thing was immaculite! It had the most beautiful clean tone I've heard from a new guitar in a LONG time! And it looked as good as it sounded! :eek: It was an awesome instrument.

I don't think there should be a "Why do you hate Fender" thread and not one about Gibson. Gibson has SO much more to hate! They're overprice and don't even sound or feel that great. I can get an Epiphone Les Paul Custom for $600 that sounds very, very close to a Gibson and feels better to me. Gibson has gone down the "ter-lit."

Originally posted by Wickerman:

[QB]Nothing. They're great...

I don't think there should be a "Why do you hate Fender" thread and not one about Gibson.

i concur! i dont think the words 'fender' and 'hate' should be in the same sentence! the most beautiful sounds i have EVER heard come from fender guitars and amps! sure they make stuff someone may dislike or somethin but i reserve the word hate for a very specific purpose.i guess i never really use the word.but hey thats just me.

s

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Originally posted by Wickerman:

Nothing. They're great. The american mades are three times more expensive, but not three times better instruments than the mexis, which annoys me

Unless of course you find a bargin! I found my MIA Strat at a place that was closing it's doors for $525! My used Tele, which is a '99, in great shape, and had EMGs Single coils in it(I know not every body likes them, but I thyink they do a great job of getting that Fender sound w/o the noise) for $650!. There are plenty of bargin Fenders out there, you just gotta look. Not that I wouldn't buy a MIM, but I keep finding cheap MIAs. I really like that '69 reissue Thinline, which is MIM. Of course,I think my guitar buying days are over for now unless the accountant sees some $$ coming in from the ones I already have!

Jack

Jack

I hate their skinny at the nut necks. I have a hell of a time playing a C chord on a Fender because there's just not enough room between the strings for my fingers.

I also bought a brand new strat in the mid 70's. It had that awful micro tilt crap neck feature. My neck eventually would slide around so bad that the 1st or 6th string would be nearly off the side of the neck.

When I later worked in a guitar shop, one of our most popular mods was turning 3 neck bolt Fenders into 4 neck bolt ones. What were they thinking?

The best thing Fender ever did were on a few Teles. A very few of em have this unreal 'electric' sounding lead pick up. I've heard one in a store that was NOT for sale that had that sound. Albert Lee has a 1953 with that tone. I wish someone would figure it out and make a replacement pick up with that cutting biting electric sounding rock `n` roll tone that I've been hunting for forever.

Good topic. After all the gigging and taping and just plain playing time I have enjoyed on my '91 Strat Plus Deluxe, it would be hard for me to hate Fender. But there are a few things that baffle me. Oh, and I should point out that the Lace Sensors on my strat had to go. When I changed them out for a Fender DH-1 humbucker ( a lot like a PAF) and a pair of fairly stock single coils life got a lot better.

Every time I go in a Guitar Center I take a look at the wall of strats and teles. Every single strat with a whammy bridge is set up "floating". This concept should be floating out to space to never return. You rest your hand on the bridge (to mute or just to play) and sure enough the strings go sharp. The bridge will not return to exactly where it was, so the intonation will now be off. There is very little contact between the bridge and the solid wood of the body, so there is little sustain and lame tone. If there is some one some where whose style calls for this set-up, my hat is off to you. But I think it's idiocy. A Fender rep might tell you that that's so you can use the whammy bar to bend notes up as well as down. Which absolutely will put the guitar out of tune and intonation. And could not possibly be worth what you give up in order to accomplish it. Tremsetter, my ass. My guitar was shipped with one, and it went to the same place as the Lace Sensors. If you want your guitar to stay in tune (maybe not every body wants that) then what you want is another spring in place of the tremsetter to hold the bridge and block in their flat stable place, flush against the body. And if you want to whammy your little brains out (this I can see a use for) then you want a Floyd Rose. There is nothing you can possibly do in the stunt department that will be worth having your guitar go out of tune (or intonation) with half a set left to play.

There are some fabulous new strats and teles. You'll need to pick and choose. You'll probably need to get it set up right.

Gibson is great-Fender is great. They sound great together. It's all good.

Originally posted by timrocker:

Every time I go in a Guitar Center I take a look at the wall of strats and teles. Every single strat with a whammy bridge is set up "floating". This concept should be floating out to space to never return. You rest your hand on the bridge (to mute or just to play) and sure enough the strings go sharp. The bridge will not return to exactly where it was, so the intonation will now be off. There is very little contact between the bridge and the solid wood of the body, so there is little sustain and lame tone. If there is some one some where whose style calls for this set-up, my hat is off to you. But I think it's idiocy. A Fender rep might tell you that that's so you can use the whammy bar to bend notes up as well as down. Which absolutely will put the guitar out of tune and intonation. And could not possibly be worth what you give up in order to accomplish it. Tremsetter, my ass. My guitar was shipped with one, and it went to the same place as the Lace Sensors. If you want your guitar to stay in tune (maybe not every body wants that) then what you want is another spring in place of the tremsetter to hold the bridge and block in their flat stable place, flush against the body. And if you want to whammy your little brains out (this I can see a use for) then you want a Floyd Rose. There is nothing you can possibly do in the stunt department that will be worth having your guitar go out of tune (or intonation) with half a set left to play.

There are some fabulous new strats and teles. You'll need to pick and choose. You'll probably need to get it set up right.

Gibson is great-Fender is great. They sound great together. It's all good.

Man. I'm sorry to hear that. My Guitar Center has five or six hardtail strats...

Man. I'm sorry to hear that. My Guitar Center has five or six hardtail strats...[/QB]

Which is one thing I really like about Fender-they also have the hard-tail strat as an option. Totally solves the above-mentioned problem for people who don't need The Bar.

To completely discuss Fender, their amps need to be spotlighted too. I have had a Pro Reverb and a Twin Reverb both of which were fine. Currently have a Princeton Chorus, for practice. Dreaming of a Super Champ. Or a Blues Jr.

I also have a Precision Bass that is awesome. When you're buying used gear, you really have to know your product line and look stuff over carefully. There are good years and bad years for most brands.

I have heard raves about the Cyber-Twin. Anyone?

Originally posted by timrocker:

Man. I'm sorry to hear that. My Guitar Center has five or six hardtail strats...

Which is one thing I really like about Fender-they also have the hard-tail strat as an option. Totally solves the above-mentioned problem for people who don't need The Bar.

To completely discuss Fender, their amps need to be spotlighted too. I have had a Pro Reverb and a Twin Reverb both of which were fine. Currently have a Princeton Chorus, for practice. Dreaming of a Super Champ. Or a Blues Jr.

I also have a Precision Bass that is awesome. When you're buying used gear, you really have to know your product line and look stuff over carefully. There are good years and bad years for most brands.

I have heard raves about the Cyber-Twin. Anyone?[/QB]

The Cyber Twin I play fell short, just like the rest of the modelers, IMO. The one that I liked the most out of the modelers was the Vox Valve-Tronix. It was close, but not quite there. I bought a HR Deluxe.

And BTW TIm, I have a few comments about Fender Strat Trems that I want to share, that I plan on posting on a New thread, as soon as I get a minute. I did a lot of research and I seem to have tamed the beast. :thu:

My only complaint about Fenders is why the hell are they so expensive? I bought an American Strat about 6 years ago for $600. Now I see the same guitar for around $900+. The American models with better pickups cost at least $1300. Still lovin' my $300 Japanese Tele Custom...

Sylver-HR Deluxe, sweeeeet choice. Try a tubescreamer into the pre! Creamy and smooth, full and fat. How's it treating you?

I haven't had any use for anybody's "modeling" anything. Some of the ones I've heard in the clubs have sounded fabulous-but that whole scheme just doesn't work for me. I don't want to think about dozens of different sounds available via patches and menus (all of which need tweaking) I just want one basic amp sound and then variations like clean, dirty, way super dirty, chorused (or)phased (or) flanged, delayed, and scooped midrange. All of which a good amp and several stomps or racks can accomplish. I know I sound like a luddite here (cuz I am :) ) but if I see an LCD on an amp or rack, I keep looking.

Fender has always cornered the market for outfitting regular ole pub giggers. Nobody else comes close....I like Ted's thought. I play a Powerhouse strat in the clubs, and it spanks that ass!!!!! I did have to swap tuners for stability, and did some mods to the bridge. I don't know for the life of me why anyone would bring a $2000 guitar to play the clubs. Unless you're pulling in major dough.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I've got a late '70's hardtail strat that I love. Even though it is heavy as hell and the crappy paint they used has been slowy cracking and falling off ever since I got the thing.

I have never had problems with tuning or playablity. The only problem is that it now needs a fret job (after years of playing) and I can't find anyone near me that I would trust to do the work. It has a clear maple fretboard which are notorious for F/U when you pull the old frets out. (unless you really know what you are doing).

If anyone knows somebody that could do this work, and is reasonably close to eastern NC (within a 3 or 4 hour drive) drop me a line.

Kev

Archived