Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Say, Myles-

What should I look for, what specs, properties of one triode vs the other, etc., for a driver-tube (V2, right?) in my Fuchs Lucky 7, particularly as I am COMPLETELY into the "play the amp" continuous/virtual channel-switching via the guitar's volume-knobs and fingerstyle picking-dynamics to get clean to mean to scream tones while the amp is cranked way up high?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

For tubes in any location you want a tube that meets design spec. Most productions tubes today do not. But ... if you have a good vendor they will test to get close.

In a phase inverter position I look for a tube's plate current output rather than gain or transconductance. 1.2mA is 12AX7 spec. Most tubes today are either much lower (bad when it comes to pushing an output tube(s) or way too high (means the tube was assembled poorly, has low plate resistance, crosstalk and will generate more heat and fail more quickly. I also prefer a medium or long plate tube in the PI slot. Sovtek 12AX7LP, JJ 803S are two good tubes for PI duties that are not expensive. Just make sure to get tested ones from a good vendor as they are a crap shoot.

I would want a tube between 1.1mA and 1.4mA, 1.2mA being spec.

Some vendors that I trust to be able to provide a properly tested tube (in no particular order, they are all good):

www.kcanostubes.com

www.dougstubes.com

www.tubedepot.com

www.thetubestore.com

There are others but these are the folks I personally like.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Hey again, Myles-

I need to replace the input jack on my old Carvin 'Vintage 33' amp. While I'm waiting to hear back from Carvin about availability/ordering of part # 21-01806, what other input-jack would you suggest if you needed a replacement-jack that will fit in there?

I'm annoyed by the jacks plastic-housing and direct-to-pcb-mounting. Touching-up its solder-joints hasn't been the cure; and if it were like a typical old, fully open jack, I could simply check and gently re-tension the contacts, but on this black plastic cockroach coffin... ?!

____________ http://www.carvinguitars.com/images/products-thumb/21-01806.jpg

Hey again, Myles-

I need to replace the input jack on my old Carvin 'Vintage 33' amp. While I'm waiting to hear back from Carvin about availability/ordering of part # 21-01806, what other input-jack would you suggest if you needed a replacement-jack that will fit in there?

I'm annoyed by the jacks plastic-housing and direct-to-pcb-mounting. Touching-up its solder-joints hasn't been the cure; and if it were like a typical old, fully open jack, I could simply check and gently re-tension the contacts, but on this black plastic cockroach coffin... ?!

____________ http://www.carvinguitars.com/images/products-thumb/21-01806.jpg

Go to www.tubesandmore.com - they have everything.

Mojo Supply would also have PCB mounted jacks as well.

Easy to find, not pricey. There are also higher quality versions of the original part available from these sources and others.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I like the Carvin Bel Air series and their Vintage series, and their tweed covered combo amps. A lot of bang for the $$$. Even the best input jacks have issues. They are a highly stressed part.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I like the Carvin Bel Air series and their Vintage series, and their tweed covered combo amps. A lot of bang for the $$$. Even the best input jacks have issues. They are a highly stressed part.

The Vintage 33 was easily the best of that line, and it got discontinued, apparently due to poor sales compared to the other models in the series- a mystery to me!

Other than a complete tube change (thanks again!) and a 'dual-density' duct-tape "diffuser"/"beam blocker" that I made and stuck to the grille-cloth (works great!), my Vintage 33 is all stock; I might put either a Celestion Alnico Gold or a Scumback Scumnico 65 watt in it someday, and maybe a real Weber Beam Blocker.

I only use the "Soak" lead/overdrive/distortion channel, "Soak" set to 2 or 3, Volume near "Noon", using the guitar's volume-knob and my "touch" to vary from clean to mean to scream, instead of channel-switching.

____ http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss103/CaevanOShite/CarvinVintage33withducttapediffuser.jpg

Of course, when I can get away without a Master Volume amp and crank it up, my Fuchs Lucky 7 trumps it. :cool: Otherwise, I either use the Vintage 33, or build a veritable blanket-fort in front of and behind the cab for the Lucky 7. :crazy:

Hey Myles!

I was recently blown away by a Quilter Micro Pro. It really seems to be a breakthrough in tubeless amps. Any insights you have into this Gen 3 circuitry? Is it totally new?

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Looked at the link. .... and the commentary on Generation 1,2,3, etc.

This technology is not new. Maybe this fellow thinks it is new but it is one form of technology presented from a different point of view. Does not make the technology new ... it just makes the point of view new to the builder.

This reminds me of these tube replacement devices I saw at the L.A. Ampshow a few years ago. I listened to the sales pitch. The folks really thought they had developed something new and different.

I asked them how their product differs from a fetron. They did not know what I was talking about.

I explained that Mesa Boogie used a fetron to replace the 12AX7 in the first gain stage of some of their Mark I series amps as those small powerful combos brought out the worst in a slightly microphonic tube. They were a solid state device.

Yes ... as an old song goes ... everything old is new again.

On the smaller speaker and their logic ... Can you say Bose 901? Development went forward on how power, small diameter, long travel speakers from that point.

If one strays too far from the classic tones we hear on records it may sound nice, interesting or technically superior. But ... there is a difference between a big block iron V8 in Chevy Corvette or a Nova SS and more technically advanced car made today. But ... which one will be more fun to drive and make your heart race.

A handy little amp for sure and you can cite all sorts of cool technical aspects for hours but would you rather play through this or a Fender Blackface Super Reverb or Marshall Bluesbreaker? Either of those amps will also fill a room better, have dynamics and touch sensitivity that will be missing with amps such as these and will fill a venue without clipping on the peak transients (which is why SS devices need a LOT of power on tap, to avoid distortion that comes with those peaks).

I am sure you will see these amps appeal to some folks. I am also sure that if you try to find one ten years from now it may be difficult.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Myles-

Looking for the best deal on a decent quality 9v~ 2.1A external power-supply.

For example, the DigiTech PSS3-120; I need a new PS for a DigiTech GNX4, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a DigiTech branded PS...

Irritating how flimsy external power-supplies usually are- and how expensive they can be. :rolleyes:

I'd look on ebay. There are a lot of things that would work nicely and some good bargains.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hello Myles. I have a Blackstar Club 40 that's about 2 years old and I've really been happy with it, however it seems as though the clean channel breaks a little sooner than it used to. If I replace the ECC83 preamp tubes with something else, will that help? I was looking at the 12AX7 Tungsol Reissues.

Thanks

Scott

Les Paul Studio Deluxe, '74 Guild S100, '64 Strat, JCM 900 Combo, Peavey Classic 30 1x12, Peavey Classic 30 Head, CBG

There are a lot of tubes marked ECC83. What type of ECC83/12AX7 are we talking about?

In the end tubes are really personal taste and preference but in Rivera amps I prefer long plates in the first position. The TSRI is a nice tube as a side note even tough a shorter plate tube.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

• 3 weeks later...

Myles, I'm curious about new production 6CA7's. Are any of them built near to spec?

And what about KT77's? From what I've read they're nothing more than marketing hype.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

Today's tubes marked 6CA7 are nothing more than big bottle EL34 tubes and not of the USA design.

KT77s are different than EL34 or 6CA7 and are liked by a lot of folks. They do sound and react differently than either.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I see, what's your opinion on the JJ KT77 and the Gold Lion KT77?

My only real criteria is a tube that is more likely to be built close to original specs. NOS is out of my price range ATM.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

Finding either one that meets design spec is a job of your tube vendor as either one will span a very wide range and neither are particularly consistent.

The JJ is much less expensive than the "Gold Lion" branded tubes from New Sensor / Sovtek which are little more than EL34 tubes.

If it were me, I'd opt for the JJ as I have had very good luck with them in one of Carl Verheyen's (www.carlverheyen.com) main amps.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Say, Myles (seems like I type that a lot ;):D:thu: )...

An old friend of mine currently lives near Memphis, Tennessee, and is in need of a qualified tube-amp tech experienced in vintage tube-amps.

Can you recommend such a professional tube-amp repairer in the greater Memphis, TN area? Someone around Memphis you'd trust with a favorite old '50s or '60s classic?

I'd call Todd Sharp at Nashville Amp Service and ask him. Todd is a master amp tech and has a lot of experience as both a tech and a player. Side note ... he did a stint as Rod Stewart's guitar player for a while, got fed up with touring and opened Nashville Amp Service a while back. He would be the best one to ask if he knew somebody in Memphis.

One other great contact actually in Memphis are the folks at www.tubedepot.com Rob Hull is their technical guru and he develops amp kits and all sorts of cool stuff. I do not know if he works on amps himself but you may want to look on the Tube Depot website, get their contact info, call or email them, and ask for Rob. He just might be the actually fellow your friend may be looking for in the end :)

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr