Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Hey Myles, I'm in the market for a load device that I can connect to my tube amp's speaker output in which case my rig would be:

tube amp-->load device-->effects chain-->power amp-->cabinet

I've looked at Weber attenuators, but from what I've been told, using them as a dummy load and using their line out for this purpose kills tone. Do you have any opinions about such a set-up? I've also looked at Harry Kolbe's silent speaker but I have no info about where to get one.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

Hey Myles, I'm in the market for a load device that I can connect to my tube amp's speaker output in which case my rig would be:

I've looked at Weber attenuators, but from what I've been told, using them as a dummy load and using their line out for this purpose kills tone. Do you have any opinions about such a set-up? I've also looked at Harry Kolbe's silent speaker but I have no info about where to get one.

Carl Verheyen uses a THD Hot Plate to do this and it works pretty well.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Myles,

12AU7 is not Rivera spec just something I read can work well in the reverb slot. I changed the bias last night and took out all the GT preamp tubes. It was a significant improvement.

Thanks again!

Craig

Craig - keep the stock tube compliment in there. Paul knows what he is doing when he created the amp. An AU7 has a gain of about 16-20 vs 80-100. Happy playing!

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Carl Verheyen uses a THD Hot Plate to do this and it works pretty well.

lightbulb.gif If I may chime in, the GT Electronics Speaker Emulator, the Marshall SE100, and the Palmer Speaker Simulator are/were all made for this type of application and excel at it. All use reactive-load designs. They may be a bit hard to find, though! And, they're not inexpensive.

I can highly recommend the GT Sp Emu, I have an old one, the original version (and will not part with it! :D ), with a 3-band "pole filter" resonance EQ. It can take a while to dial-in just-right; the input and output levels are key here. The GT Sp Emu II has a more conventional, amp-like EQ, three levels of attenuation for live speakers, and an effects loop. While either would work excellently with most any tube-amp, I feel that the earlier model is particularly suited to "British" flavors, with the second model being a bit better for Fendery sorts. Again, though, both work well with either.

I once put a Marshall SE100 through its paces (and I regret not having bought it!), and it was particularly excellent. It uses the same reactive-load design as the GT models under license, and adds some interesting features like a three-selection mic-position simulation. It worked beautifully with the Fender Twin I had at the time; and, of course, it works very well with Marshalls and other "British" types. These are highly sought after in the used market...

Remember James_Italy, who used to post here a lot a few years back? He got, and loved, a Palmer Speaker Simulator, and had posted some excellent sounding demo clips using it to record direct. I'm convinced that the Palmers are at least the equal of the GT and Marshal speaker emulators, if not even better. You may even be able to score a new one, though a used one might prove to be more cost-effective...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Glad to hear it, especially from you, Myles! Thanks. :cool:

lightbulb.gif Hey, Zephyr- if I had the dough right now, I'd pounce on this, whether I was me OR you... ! :thu::cool:

___________ http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/bunyok23/IMG_2233.jpg

Hey Myles, I got hold of a like-new Mesa 5:25 Express. Great little amp, but the new ones now have a little cage around the power tubes, which is much needed as they catch on things and come loose. I couldn't locate a pic, but I wonder if you know where to get one. The local store couldn't give me any info. I'd think it should be available from Mesa, but the store clerk said it would only be a repair part, which would come from the national distributor....things work a little differently in Canada....
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

• 2 weeks later...
Myles, greetings this is my first post. I have a Marshall JCM TSL. I am trying to tame the fuzzy high end sound in my lead channel. I prefer a more bluesy sound, but I love the Marshall crunch and sustain. What would you suggest I try in V1 and V2 from the NOS tubes? Thanks in advance for the great website and info. BD

BD7 - a few questions. What is the bias set at from the three prong test points (left and right) in millivolts on the back of the chassis?

What type of preamp tubes are in V1, V2, V3 (type and brand)?

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles- I had winged C's put in about 2 months ago and they are biased at 90 according to my tech guy here locally, he said this was Marshall's spec. He replaced my preamp tubes a month ago with 4 Ruby JJ ECC83's. I have experimented with a 5751 in V1 with mixed results, but I feel like NOS or vintage preamp tubes are the way to go, but you see so many opinions it's hard to decide. My tech was the one that told about your website which is unbelievable. thx

Marshall's spec is too hot from my personal experience. Drop to 78 which is 39mA per tube or even 76. At 45mA per tube the amp sounds harsh and generates a lot of heat, short tube life too.

NOS in V1,2,3 .... I love Brimar and RFTs in these amps. Talk to Mike at www.kcanostubes.com or www.tubedepot.com or www.dougstubes.com as they are all great folks.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

OK, we dropped the bias to 76 and I am trying 2 NOS tubes from a friend. I am running a Telefunken ribbed plate in V1, a Tung-Sol reissue in V2 and a Raytheon black plate in V3. I was told to try the Raytheon in V2, but it was very trebly sounding. I have not yet purchased a Brimar. The amp definitely sounds better, somewhat warmer. However in the long run I may end up just selling the Marshall. What is your opinion of Splawn amps? thx!

Happy playing. Glad things sound a bit better. Splawn stuff ... I have never been inside so I cannot offer my take on them.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles -

I have a new Vox AC4. It has a speak output that runs at 8ohms. I'm running it through a 2X12 cab and it sounds great.

I'm wondering if I can run the speaker out to the input of my Peavey keyboard amp without hurting either amp. What do you think?

Thanks

(Chiming in again)

Correct me if I'm wrong, Myles, but I don't think that would be a good idea, Kimsky. And be careful not to void your AC4's warranty while it's still valid!

In short, you need a real speaker or suitable safe load connected to the speaker-output of the amp.

To safely do what you want, you need one of these, or one of these, or one of these.

Note that with the SE-5, you can run your AC4 WITHOUT a speaker or an additional laod;

with the Red Box and JDX Reactor, though, you still have to have a real speaker or suitable safe load connected, as per the directions of the given DI units manufacturers.

Never run a speaker out to an another amp input. You will likely blow the front end of one amp as you trash the output transformer of the others.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Kimsky- I edited my previous post; I realized that with the Surprise Sound Lab SE-5 that I'd linked you to, you can run your AC4 WITHOUT connecting a speaker or an additional load.

With the Red Box and JDX Reactor, though, I believe that you still have to have a real speaker or suitable safe load connected, as per the directions of the given DI units manufacturers.

Dances, I looked at the products you suggested. Interesting, but not economically feasible at this time.

Believe me, I understand that all too well! In a similar boat lately, myself.

If it's of any help, I found a used H&K Red Box being auctioned here on e-Bay...

And while not ideal (but not bad- I used to have one, myself), somewhat overkill for your specific task, and only marginally cheaper, something like one of these might be a more affordable option for you...

• 2 weeks later...
Dances, I looked at the products you suggested. Interesting, but not economically feasible at this time.

Believe me, I understand that all too well! In a similar boat lately, myself.

If it's of any help, I found a used H&K Red Box being auctioned here on e-Bay...

And while not ideal (but not bad- I used to have one, myself), somewhat overkill for your specific task, and only marginally cheaper, something like one of these might be a more affordable option for you...

The redbox was a pretty useful stage tool to be able to use an amp on stage and hear yourself but also run to the house system.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

A few more questions Myles. If the amp is starting to make occasional noise, almost like static/white noise is this the preamp tube and how would you check it? Also I have a Groove Tubes "Brick" that I use for a preamp while for my condensor mic when doing home recording.. Was wondering if you had heard of it used in that application before. thx!

A few more questions Myles. If the amp is starting to make occasional noise, almost like static/white noise is this the preamp tube and how would you check it? Also I have a Groove Tubes "Brick" that I use for a preamp while for my condensor mic when doing home recording.. Was wondering if you had heard of it used in that application before. thx!

Noise as you describe is most often a tube, generally in a gain stage. How to check? Swap it out with a known good tube if you do not have engineering equipment.

The application you are using your brick for is the main intended appliction. That is why it has onboard phantom power.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr