Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Myles, next week I will be picking up a lightly used Epi Galaxie 10 Combo practice tube amp.

It has a 10" Celestion speaker in it, I'm not clear if that is stock or not. Originally it was suppled with a 12AX7 PreAmp tube and a 6L6 Power tube.

The guy I'm buying it from has retubed it with a Groove Tube 12AU7 (to get "more headroom") and a RCA 6L6. The amp tends to be bright and trebly to begin with (by reputation) and most definitely was when I tried it out. The B, M, T controls do take much of it out. And I do have an EQ and Genesis 3 that I could take even more out, but it is very... "brittle"... until the gain is up past "7". It doesn't get loud at all until the gain is at, or past, "5", not much breakup until "7" or more.

Is that PreAmp tube the best choice for this amp?

A 12AU7 is a good phase inverter but a poor tone generator. Grab a 12AY7 ... the front end of a tweed bassman. Much nicer tone and very smooth.

Myles, thanks for the advice! :wave:

I won't be able to pick it up until next week sometime now, but I'll be sure to get a 12AY7 to try out in it. I thought the amp sounded... strained, or something.

Thanks again, u r :cool:

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Myles, next week I will be picking up a lightly used Epi Galaxie 10 Combo practice tube amp.

It has a 10" Celestion speaker in it, I'm not clear if that is stock or not. Originally it was suppled with a 12AX7 PreAmp tube and a 6L6 Power tube.

The guy I'm buying it from has retubed it with a Groove Tube 12AU7 (to get "more headroom") and a RCA 6L6. The amp tends to be bright and trebly to begin with (by reputation) and most definitely was when I tried it out. The B, M, T controls do take much of it out. And I do have an EQ and Genesis 3 that I could take even more out, but it is very... "brittle"... until the gain is up past "7". It doesn't get loud at all until the gain is at, or past, "5", not much breakup until "7" or more.

A 12AU7 is a good phase inverter but a poor tone generator. Grab a 12AY7 ... the front end of a tweed bassman. Much nicer tone and very smooth.

I won't be able to pick it up until next week sometime now, but I'll be sure to get a 12AY7 to try out in it. I thought the amp sounded... strained, or something.

You are quite welcome.

Let me know what happens.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

umm im new at the guitar in a way and i just want to know if anyone knows any evil sounding licks if u do please help me out cuz i want to play some dark sounding music . it doesnt have to be heavy or distorted it can even be acoustic or a real calming dark sound . if u can help me out ,plz do !

Hey Myles, this is Jack -- I spoke with you on the phone about my Carvin V3 on Friday. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your time and advice. I feel bad calling you, 'cause I know you are VERY busy so I'll post here and you can respond when it is convenient for you.

I put all the GT12AX7R pres back in to start with, as you suggested. The tube that was originally in V1 was a Mullard, and it looks like an ECC83 -- the lettering is almost completely burned off. Also, half of the black at the top of the tube is gone. For the time being I replaced that tube with a Jan 5751 (1985) because I think the Mullard has been damaged by the heat from the power tubes -- is that normal where the pres are so close to the power tubes? Other than that, I am basically back at the original starting point.

And just to refresh your memory ('cause you obviously communicate with a gazillion people!), the main thing I'm looking to do is get a punchier clean sound from the clean channel and kill or greatly reduce the harsh breakup that occurs when I turn up the drive knob. Thanks again Myles -- I greatly appreciate all your input!

Learnin' to hone the tone

umm im new at the guitar in a way and i just want to know if anyone knows any evil sounding licks if u do please help me out cuz i want to play some dark sounding music . it doesnt have to be heavy or distorted it can even be acoustic or a real calming dark sound . if u can help me out ,plz do !

Look in the forum for somebody that will give you lessons in your area.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles, this is Jack -- I spoke with you on the phone about my Carvin V3 on Friday. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your time and advice. I feel bad calling you, 'cause I know you are VERY busy so I'll post here and you can respond when it is convenient for you.

I put all the GT12AX7R pres back in to start with, as you suggested. The tube that was originally in V1 was a Mullard, and it looks like an ECC83 -- the lettering is almost completely burned off. Also, half of the black at the top of the tube is gone. For the time being I replaced that tube with a Jan 5751 (1985) because I think the Mullard has been damaged by the heat from the power tubes -- is that normal where the pres are so close to the power tubes? Other than that, I am basically back at the original starting point.

And just to refresh your memory ('cause you obviously communicate with a gazillion people!), the main thing I'm looking to do is get a punchier clean sound from the clean channel and kill or greatly reduce the harsh breakup that occurs when I turn up the drive knob. Thanks again Myles -- I greatly appreciate all your input!

V1 and V2 ... 12AX7EH or Tung Sol Reissue

Phase inverter - Sovtek 12AX7LPS or JJ803S

Start there.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

I'm tempted to install some JAN Philips 6L6WGB (5881) Power Tubes into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - is this wise? I noticed that they are 25 watt tubes rather than the 30 watt+ that this amp would normally handle? Would they be ok - I'm really after the kind of sound they could deliver....

I ordered the Tung Sols (read a lot of good reviews on them compared to the EH) and the LPS (balanced) and JJ803s (balanced) from Doug. I'll let you know how they sound when I get them in. Thanks for the advice!

Myles,

I'm tempted to install some JAN Philips 6L6WGB (5881) Power Tubes into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - is this wise? I noticed that they are 25 watt tubes rather than the 30 watt+ that this amp would normally handle? Would they be ok - I'm really after the kind of sound they could deliver....

These will work great .... just bias at 60mA from the Fender test point on the PCB as the two tubes are summed for bias and you will be fine. A big improvement over the stock tubes.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I ordered the Tung Sols (read a lot of good reviews on them compared to the EH) and the LPS (balanced) and JJ803s (balanced) from Doug. I'll let you know how they sound when I get them in. Thanks for the advice!

The EH is also a very nice tube but sounds different compared to the 803S. It is really a matter of personal taste, one does not sound "better" than the other, just different.

Doug supplies great stuff as a side note.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I'll probably try the 12AX7EH in a couple of weeks or so just to see what the difference in sound is. By the way, I know that tubes can get pretty hot but is it normal for the amp to get so hot that the knobs on the front almost burn your fingers?! This is what happens usually around the middle to end of the second set when the amp has been on for like 2 hours.

I'll probably try the 12AX7EH in a couple of weeks or so just to see what the difference in sound is. By the way, I know that tubes can get pretty hot but is it normal for the amp to get so hot that the knobs on the front almost burn your fingers?! This is what happens usually around the middle to end of the second set when the amp has been on for like 2 hours.

This heat issue is NOT normal for most amps but ... what kind of amp? You may have mentioned it earlier in another post but with a high number of posts from a lot of folks I don't read backward.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

this isn't exactly an anmp question, but I thought you might know the answer.

I bought an el cheap-o P Bass copy to soup up with a 10 or 12K Kent Armstrong P Bass pickup I had laying around the house. I plan to change out the cheesy pots it came with, which are 500Ks. My question is, should I get more 500K pots to replace them, or will a different value work better with the hot pickup?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Myles,

this isn't exactly an anmp question, but I thought you might know the answer.

I bought an el cheap-o P Bass copy to soup up with a 10 or 12K Kent Armstrong P Bass pickup I had laying around the house. I plan to change out the cheesy pots it came with, which are 500Ks. My question is, should I get more 500K pots to replace them, or will a different value work better with the hot pickup?

Stay with the stock values and make sure the taper is the same (log, linear, audio taper).

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

My "hot" amp is a Carvin V3 212 Combo -- and like I said, it can get VERY hot. I put in the 2 Tung-Sol reissues in V1 and V2 and the 12AX7LPS in PI. The overall sound is much tighter, with better usable mids, but I still get the early harsh breakup on the clean channel (that channel is driven by V3, and I still have the original crappy GT12AX7R in there.) Any other suggestions? Thanks aain for all your help and advice! By the way, how do you include the post you are responding to in your response? I'm sure it would be more helpful to you if I could do this given the TONS of posts you read and answer!

My "hot" amp is a Carvin V3 212 Combo -- and like I said, it can get VERY hot. I put in the 2 Tung-Sol reissues in V1 and V2 and the 12AX7LPS in PI. The overall sound is much tighter, with better usable mids, but I still get the early harsh breakup on the clean channel (that channel is driven by V3, and I still have the original crappy GT12AX7R in there.) Any other suggestions? Thanks aain for all your help and advice! By the way, how do you include the post you are responding to in your response? I'm sure it would be more helpful to you if I could do this given the TONS of posts you read and answer!

Get rid of the Sovtek WA/WC in V3 ... very harsh tube.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

ok, I swapped out the GT12AX7R in V3 with a JJ ECC83 and man oh man what a difference! This is the best setup so far:

V1 = Tung Sol Reissue

V2 = Tung Sol Reissue

V3 = JJ ECC83

V4 = GT12AX7R (I'll probably swap this out with something else)

V5 = Sovtek 12AX7LPS (my favorite PI so far)

With the JJ in V3, I can really push the clean channel much more before it starts to break up -- it is even better when I crank the drive up and turn down the volume on my guitar a bit. You've helped me out tremendously, Myles -- THANK YOU! I posted on Carvin's forum regarding the heat issue, so hopefully someone who is quite familiar with these amps will have some insight. It just seems to get way, way too hot.

ok, I swapped out the GT12AX7R in V3 with a JJ ECC83 and man oh man what a difference! This is the best setup so far:

V1 = Tung Sol Reissue

V2 = Tung Sol Reissue

V3 = JJ ECC83

V4 = GT12AX7R (I'll probably swap this out with something else)

V5 = Sovtek 12AX7LPS (my favorite PI so far)

With the JJ in V3, I can really push the clean channel much more before it starts to break up -- it is even better when I crank the drive up and turn down the volume on my guitar a bit. You've helped me out tremendously, Myles -- THANK YOU! I posted on Carvin's forum regarding the heat issue, so hopefully someone who is quite familiar with these amps will have some insight. It just seems to get way, way too hot.

If you plug a JJ 803S in V3 to replace the ECC83S it will be smoother. There is no right or wrong ... it is personal taste but I thought I'd toss out another option.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

you were right -- a bit smoother, and more touch-sensitive. Thanks again for all your help! I still haven't got solid response yet on the Carvin forum regarding the heat this thing is generating. I'm pretty concerned about it.

Myles, I finally picked up the amp. The sound I was trying to describe was "Brittle" and not "Open". I got a nice JAN Tungsol 12AY7 (NOS, 1961) from Al at Alpha Sound & Light here in Charlotte. I told him (as I found out on... another... forum) that you'd bailed out of GT before the crash. Good for you!

btw, I misunderstood (or he mis-informed me) about what tube was in the amp. It was an RCA 12AV7. According to the "Manual" (one 8x11.5 folded over) it originally SHOULD have been a 12AX7WA, not a plain 12AX7 as I was told. It does still sound better now though, still quite "Brite"... but with the Treble down (3) and Bass up (7) it sounds good, and actually not UNusable with everything flat if a brite sound is wanted/needed... and MUCH smoother. Thanks!!! Once I put the BOSS EQ7 in front of it (tomorrow), I'm sure I can shape the sound real fine. A real bargain ($100) for a home practice tube amp, imho.

THANKS again Myles. You're a marvel. ;)

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

you were right -- a bit smoother, and more touch-sensitive. Thanks again for all your help! I still haven't got solid response yet on the Carvin forum regarding the heat this thing is generating. I'm pretty concerned about it.

I'd call them.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles, I finally picked up the amp. The sound I was trying to describe was "Brittle" and not "Open". I got a nice JAN Tungsol 12AY7 (NOS, 1961) from Al at Alpha Sound & Light here in Charlotte. I told him (as I found out on... another... forum) that you'd bailed out of GT before the crash. Good for you!

btw, I misunderstood (or he mis-informed me) about what tube was in the amp. It was an RCA 12AV7. According to the "Manual" (one 8x11.5 folded over) it originally SHOULD have been a 12AX7WA, not a plain 12AX7 as I was told. It does still sound better now though, still quite "Brite"... but with the Treble down (3) and Bass up (7) it sounds good, and actually not UNusable with everything flat if a brite sound is wanted/needed... and MUCH smoother. Thanks!!! Once I put the BOSS EQ7 in front of it (tomorrow), I'm sure I can shape the sound real fine. A real bargain ($100) for a home practice tube amp, imho.

THANKS again Myles. You're a marvel. ;)

You are quite welcome.

Actually, I left GT at the end as they asked me to stay until the sale to Fender.

On the tube stuff ... there is not real right or wrong, it is personal taste and preference for the most part.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles, I'm just curious if you have heard/played through a Crate V18-112 and if you have any opinion on it?

Sorry but I cannot help here as I have not played that amp or been inside of one.

Normally, Carvin build some very nice stuff for the $$$$ and is honest work at a good value.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi myles,

Can you tell me the tonal differences when biasing power tubes either hot or cold?

Thanks

Hard to define in most ways .... sort of like trying to descibe the difference between blue and green but .... cold tubes sound grainy and do not develop full power. Hot running tubes sound harsh and do not sound as nice as they do when the amp is set at highest volume levels and at moderate levels lack life.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

im a beginner and my dad says that i should hold the pick a little sideways when picking and i see ppl holding it flat twards the strings...wich is better?? is there a better??

I'd talk to a guitar teacher but to me, in the end there are a lot of different styles and I personally change my pick attack continually while playing.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

As you can see, I'm new here. \:\)

I've been playing instruments for quite sometime now, but I'm pretty much new to recording. I have tons of ideas in my head that I want to mix but I just don't know where to start. I'm planning on recording them to my computer.

I'm currently using these:

-Ibanez RG1570

-Boss Gt-8

-Boss DR-670 Drum Machine(My main source of beats and bass lines)

What is the simpliest, yet outstanding way to connect all of these to my pc? And btw, I'm using a Music Maker 14 software.

And what can you say about Stealth Plug?

Or should I just forget everything and grab a Tascam DP-02CF Digital Portastudio?

Sorry for the questions hehe.

Thank you sir!

Myles,

As you can see, I'm new here. \:\)

I've been playing instruments for quite sometime now, but I'm pretty much new to recording. I have tons of ideas in my head that I want to mix but I just don't know where to start. I'm planning on recording them to my computer.

I'm currently using these:

-Ibanez RG1570

-Boss Gt-8

-Boss DR-670 Drum Machine(My main source of beats and bass lines)

What is the simpliest, yet outstanding way to connect all of these to my pc? And btw, I'm using a Music Maker 14 software.

And what can you say about Stealth Plug?

Or should I just forget everything and grab a Tascam DP-02CF Digital Portastudio?

Sorry for the questions hehe.

Thank you sir!

There are hundreds of ways to configure a signal chain for recording and it would takes pages to even begin to explain. I'd look at some sites and grab some books to get some basic ideas.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr