Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Originally posted by jzgtrguy:

posted 12-06-2003 12:39 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myles,

I left a post a few weeks ago about which amp would be best and you help me narrow my search down to either a Rivera Fandango or a Quiana and you mentioned that a Quiana with KT66hp's was particularly nice. My question is this. I had been over the the Rivera site and their users forum and there seemed to be some question as to weather or not the KT66's would fit in a Quiana Studio. Not that the bottles wouldn't work I think it had to do with the space between the bottles or the space between the tube and the power transformer. I thnk the concern sentered around weather or not there was enough space between the tubes and other components to allow for proper cooling. What do you think???

Thanks,

Jeff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jzgtrguy ........

Jeff .... I am not sure of the height in a Quiana studio ... maybe drop Paul Rivera a call at 818-833-7066.

BUT .... they are killer in the combo! If they will fit height wise in the studio, don't worry if it is tight. In my JTM45, they are so tight that one of the two tubes hits the wood of the cab, and the only way to change tubes is to pull the chassis .... but ones in there, they are magic.

If you get a HP in 4-5, they work great with the stock Rivera bias, so that is not a concern or need.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Thanks Myles,

I figured as much on the 2x12 but I was not sure on the 1x12 Studio version or the head. I just don't want to spring for the amp and then find the tubes I want to put in it do not work.

I balk at a 2x12 because it's got to way about 80lbs. I do not like schlepping around my Evans and it ways about 45lbs.

My other concern is just the sheer power of 50 "Rivera" watts. I know it is going to be loud. I read your tube primer (the small version, the big version would not load, probably my dial up)What you said about modeling amps in the back made a lot of sense to me. Good tone at a reasonable decible level, Effect and it is light. I still have not ruled Digitgal modeling amps. My experience though has been that even though they sound "like" a Marshall or Tweed or what ever they do not "behave" like one. They do not breath and respond like a tube amp.

Thanks for your imput. I'll call Rivera or Email them.

I hope your have a blessed Christmas with your family.

Best,

Jeff

Failure is the path of least persistence.

Originally posted by jzgtrguy:

Thanks Myles,

I figured as much on the 2x12 but I was not sure on the 1x12 Studio version or the head. I just don't want to spring for the amp and then find the tubes I want to put in it do not work.

I balk at a 2x12 because it's got to way about 80lbs. I do not like schlepping around my Evans and it ways about 45lbs.

My other concern is just the sheer power of 50 "Rivera" watts. I know it is going to be loud. I read your tube primer (the small version, the big version would not load, probably my dial up)What you said about modeling amps in the back made a lot of sense to me. Good tone at a reasonable decible level, Effect and it is light. I still have not ruled Digitgal modeling amps. My experience though has been that even though they sound "like" a Marshall or Tweed or what ever they do not "behave" like one. They do not breath and respond like a tube amp.

Thanks for your imput. I'll call Rivera or Email them.

I hope your have a blessed Christmas with your family.

Best,

Jeff

Jeff ....

Good luck on your decisions and have a great holiday season.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by RAMJET:

THANKS MYLES, IKNOW nothing about working on amps , do you have the correct ECC83 tubes W/ the specs that you recomeneded, i can X the tubes but thats as far as my (skill) goes........thanks ,,, ramjet

Ramjet -

They are the http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1587

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by myles111:

James ... cool tubes ... Fivre was the RCA in Italy, using RCA tooling. Cool 50s stuff you have there, maybe even 40s.

In the UV I would use these in the low voltage setting ... they will take the high voltage, but hV in the UV is over 450 volts, and even 470 in some cases .... and being cathode biased, you would really subject these gems to a short life at the HV setting.

Thanks Myles- as always it's very much appreciated! I felt there was something good about them when I plugged them in. Thanks for the tip on the Univalve setting, I would have run them on HiV and burnt them out too quickly without your help.

Originally posted by James-Italy:

Originally posted by myles111:

James ... cool tubes ... Fivre was the RCA in Italy, using RCA tooling. Cool 50s stuff you have there, maybe even 40s.

In the UV I would use these in the low voltage setting ... they will take the high voltage, but hV in the UV is over 450 volts, and even 470 in some cases .... and being cathode biased, you would really subject these gems to a short life at the HV setting.

Thanks Myles- as always it's very much appreciated! I felt there was something good about them when I plugged them in. Thanks for the tip on the Univalve setting, I would have run them on HiV and burnt them out too quickly without your help.
James,

You are more than welcome.

Happy playing!

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

I realize recommending amps is very subjective,

but who cares, I'd like your subjective recommendation.

What combo amp would you recommend (2 channels - 3 would be best) to achieve the holy grail - a squeaky clean Fenderish sound, a crunchy Marshall sound, and a smooth, sustaining, articulate solo sound, between $500-$1000 (used amps included)?

Or do you recommend getting a Fender amp and front-ending it with stomp boxes, and if so, which amp and which overdrive/distortion stomp boxes?

Or do you recommend getting some sort of modeller?

You probably get this question all the time - logic would dictate that in order to get the clean Fender sound, you go with that, because that's harder to create with stomp boxes than overdriven sounds - but who knows, I just want YOUR opinion...

There has been a lot of talk on this thread regarding Rivera amps, any low end models which might fit the bill?

Thanks,

Pete

Hey Myles, excellent recommendation ot those KT66HPs in my dual rect they sound so much better then the 6L6s I've tried, thanks!

I have another question to ask you off the topic you might be able to help me with. Our singer uses a green bullet mic for some vocals the only problem is it has a hardwired 1/4inch output cord. What's the best way to convert the signal from 1/4inch in to XLR out?

-- Support Independent Music --

www.randallflagg.com

Originally posted by pbognar:

Myles,

I realize recommending amps is very subjective,

but who cares, I'd like your subjective recommendation.

What combo amp would you recommend (2 channels - 3 would be best) to achieve the holy grail - a squeaky clean Fenderish sound, a crunchy Marshall sound, and a smooth, sustaining, articulate solo sound, between $500-$1000 (used amps included)?

Or do you recommend getting a Fender amp and front-ending it with stomp boxes, and if so, which amp and which overdrive/distortion stomp boxes?

Or do you recommend getting some sort of modeller?

You probably get this question all the time - logic would dictate that in order to get the clean Fender sound, you go with that, because that's harder to create with stomp boxes than overdriven sounds - but who knows, I just want YOUR opinion...

There has been a lot of talk on this thread regarding Rivera amps, any low end models which might fit the bill?

Thanks,

Pete

Pete .....

Almost an impossible question!

Fender amps are pretty cool in that price range, and are considered pedal friendly, or at least more so than higher and noiser front end gain amps.

The Hot Rod Fender series amps are nice, as you can leave them on the clean channel and then use pedals.

The amp size will be determined in a big sense by the venue, and if used for recording, there are other considerations.

If you can find a Z MAZ Jr used on ebay or somewhere, this is one of the most versitile and articulate amps on the planet, and is much louder than it's 18 watt rating would lead you to believe. They are louder than my 50 watt Fender Pro Reverb as an example. Used they may fall into your price range.

If you do a lot of cover songs live, a modeller is a very cool option.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by rsf1977:

Hey Myles, excellent recommendation ot those KT66HPs in my dual rect they sound so much better then the 6L6s I've tried, thanks!

I have another question to ask you off the topic you might be able to help me with. Our singer uses a green bullet mic for some vocals the only problem is it has a hardwired 1/4inch output cord. What's the best way to convert the signal from 1/4inch in to XLR out?

rsf1977 ...........

I have a lot of recto clients that have made the switch to the KT66HP. In a #6 rating in the Mesa, the amp just sings, and is much more open, bigger all around, and more defined. The 6's work super with the Mesa fixed bias.

On your 1/4" XLR issue .... get a Switchcraft catalogue of call the folks at www.tubesandmore.com as they may have these in stock. They are simple 1 piece adaptors that work great.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles, I just bought the 59 Bassman RI(with stock Jensons)about a month ago but what would be the best tube selection for this amp. I use OD and Distortion pedals so I want to get the best clean tone I can using mostly modern production tubes.

I do have some preamp tubes i found at work but not sure how good they are, I have a RCA 5751 command series, RCA 12AX7A, GE12AY7 for modern tubes I have a 12AY7EH on order and have some 12AX7EH and some JJ ECC83-S.

My Bias is fixed, so if you can suggest the best way to get a great clean tone that would be appreciated!

Originally posted by J.LaGrassa:

Hi Myles, I just bought the 59 Bassman RI(with stock Jensons)about a month ago but what would be the best tube selection for this amp. I use OD and Distortion pedals so I want to get the best clean tone I can using mostly modern production tubes.

I do have some preamp tubes i found at work but not sure how good they are, I have a RCA 5751 command series, RCA 12AX7A, GE12AY7 for modern tubes I have a 12AY7EH on order and have some 12AX7EH and some JJ ECC83-S.

My Bias is fixed, so if you can suggest the best way to get a great clean tone that would be appreciated!

J.LaGrassa .........

I put a lot of these reissues into the original realm.

First off, the stock AlNiCo new Jensen P10R speakers are great. Leave them alone, just break them in.

Now ... the amp probably came with a solid state rectifier. This is in a plug in socket. This really alters the feel of the amp. The original amp had a 5AR4, and you should plug one into the socket to replace the SS unit. No tools or adjustment is required.

There are three preamp tubes ... all Sovtek 12AX7WA, and that is not a good thing at all.

V1 in the original Bassman was a 12AY7, NOT an AX7. You need a great one in there, one that is quiet also. In this position in my own tweed amps I use a pricy NOS GT 6072M which is normally reserved for microphone use, the selected version of a 12AY7:

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1215

Now, we also want to replace V2, and for this I call Mike at KCA .... www.kcanostubes.com and grab:

NOS RCA 12AX7s-----------------------------------------------------------$ 50 Each

2 1950s Blackplates in stock. Original boxes. Great original equipment tubes for Fenders and other guitar amps.

(if he still has any in stock.)

V2 is a big part of the tone and gain stage in this amp.

.... I know ... this is getting pricy, but these tubes will last many years and give you a thrill each time you play the amp....

V3 should be a matched phase inverter, and matched for rise time to the output tubes, and this can only be done on a tracer if you want to go the total route:

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1723

This is a 12AX7, later on in the tolex era, Fender went to AT7s for phase inverters by the way.

Now .... lastly, the output set. Your amp has a fixed bias. For my clients tweed bassman RIs I use later Tung Sol (the black base ones in the larger bottle) 6L6 tubes at 22-25mA at 400v / -48V bias test points. These work like magic. They also bias properly with the fixed bias, and last thousands of hours. I have sets of these for my clients, not a lot, but a duet which has been trace matched, dynamically matched, and static matched, runs $90.00 for the duet. In the photo, the getter flashes look black, but they are not ... it is my bad photo flash skills:

http://guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/tungsol6l6.jpg

These are the two tubes on the left.

If you are interested in those, let me know and I will build a custom link on the GT website and email you the link if you want to purchase them. I will not have them longer than a week or so though.

When this is done, A/B it with the original amps ... it will sound very close or nicer than most that have not been kept up well, and very close to the best.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles, thanks for the response. If I had the xtra cash I would try the NOS but I will be using modern production tubes.

I have been trying some tubes and have a tone that I am happy with, What i use now is:

V1-12AY7EH (I really like this tube)

V2-12AX7EH

V3-JJECC83S(I will eventually get a Balanced tube)

Power Tubes-Svetlana 6L6GC, I measured the Plate )voltage "477vdc" and cathode current at 41mA via 1 ohm resitors so I would ay those tubes are at a good bias point.

I still want to try the GT6L6-GE, also I prefer the SS Rectifier.

Originally posted by J.LaGrassa:

Hi Myles, thanks for the response. If I had the xtra cash I would try the NOS but I will be using modern production tubes.

I have been trying some tubes and have a tone that I am happy with, What i use now is:

V1-12AY7EH (I really like this tube)

V2-12AX7EH

V3-JJECC83S(I will eventually get a Balanced tube)

Power Tubes-Svetlana 6L6GC, I measured the Plate )voltage "477vdc" and cathode current at 41mA via 1 ohm resitors so I would ay those tubes are at a good bias point.

I still want to try the GT6L6-GE, also I prefer the SS Rectifier.

Happy playing!

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

I first want to thank you for your recommendations and advice, which have resulted in getting both the Gerhart Gilmore and now the Dr. Z Maz 18 head. Both are fantastic amps. I've had the Z for a couple of days and it is extremely articulate and versatile. What a beauty. I still think my Kingsley is the "sweetest" sounding of all my amps -- I really do think you should check one out -- we'd all be interested in your opinion.

Anyway, my question is this: I've been using a ToneTubby 12" alnico speaker and open back cabinet with the Gilmore and it's a great combination. I thought it would work well with the Z, but I'm finding a lot of low end response (too much actually -- the walls shake with bass notes, even at relatively low volume). I'm thinking either a 1x10 or 2x10 would resolve this issue. Is this true and/or do you have any recommendations as to speaker/cab for the Z?

Thanks again.

Myles,

I had poted a thread about this, but it was suggested that I ask you directly...

I am using a Digitech GNX3 through a Tech21 Power Engine 60. My signal chain is such:

Guitar - GNX3 - PE60 - P.A.

I get a great tone coming from the P.A. (downright FANTASTIC) but the sound from the PE60 is severly lacking... no "life" to it.

Any idea what I could do to liven up the tone from the amp? I don't want to change any settings on the GNX3 because it is giving me EXACTLY what I want (from the P.A., not the amp).

Thanks,

Mike

Petting Hendrix

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head by an iron boot? Of course you don't--no one does--that never happens.

Originally posted by WaterMan:

Myles,

I first want to thank you for your recommendations and advice, which have resulted in getting both the Gerhart Gilmore and now the Dr. Z Maz 18 head. Both are fantastic amps. I've had the Z for a couple of days and it is extremely articulate and versatile. What a beauty. I still think my Kingsley is the "sweetest" sounding of all my amps -- I really do think you should check one out -- we'd all be interested in your opinion.

Anyway, my question is this: I've been using a ToneTubby 12" alnico speaker and open back cabinet with the Gilmore and it's a great combination. I thought it would work well with the Z, but I'm finding a lot of low end response (too much actually -- the walls shake with bass notes, even at relatively low volume). I'm thinking either a 1x10 or 2x10 would resolve this issue. Is this true and/or do you have any recommendations as to speaker/cab for the Z?

Thanks again.

With the MAZ 18, the results seem to be split between the 1x12 and 2x10 cabs by most folks. I know I like a 1x12 Celestion V30, but I do have a 2x10 cab on order that I will maybe get sometime in January, and at that time I will know more.

The Kingsley ... I know these amps a bit ... and yes, they are pretty fantastic.

You have one great inventory there!

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by mstreck:

Myles,

I had poted a thread about this, but it was suggested that I ask you directly...

I am using a Digitech GNX3 through a Tech21 Power Engine 60. My signal chain is such:

Guitar - GNX3 - PE60 - P.A.

I get a great tone coming from the P.A. (downright FANTASTIC) but the sound from the PE60 is severly lacking... no "life" to it.

Any idea what I could do to liven up the tone from the amp? I don't want to change any settings on the GNX3 because it is giving me EXACTLY what I want (from the P.A., not the amp).

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I am sorry, but I cannot help you here as I do not know that amp.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

Sweet Willie at the bass forum sent me your way for a question I posted over there. I just got a Mesa 400+ and I really like the tone I can get out of it. But I was wondering if there were preamp tubes that were easier to overdrive than others? I use both inputs at the same time and was wondering if I could put tubes in the input 2 that were easier to overdrive and blend that with input 1.

Thanks, Wade

Hello Myles,

Do you know if it is possible to make an input in a Fender pro junior or blues junior that bypasses the preamp section ?

I would like to buy one of these small amps for studio use and to monitor my pod xt (that's why I would like a direct input in the amp section)

Thanks for your help

Regards

Vincent

I am looking for a low wattage amplifier that produces that classic marshall sound. I just spent some time listening to Dr. Z and Carr amps and although these amps sound great, it's not what I'm looking for. Maybe you can give me some advice. Thank you very much for the info that you provide.

Originally posted by WCunha:

Hi Myles,

Sweet Willie at the bass forum sent me your way for a question I posted over there. I just got a Mesa 400+ and I really like the tone I can get out of it. But I was wondering if there were preamp tubes that were easier to overdrive than others? I use both inputs at the same time and was wondering if I could put tubes in the input 2 that were easier to overdrive and blend that with input 1.

Thanks, Wade

Wade,

Your amp was designed to be a big clean amp, and for the most part, there is nothing much you can do with tubes. It would take more complex changes.

Sorry.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by swiggy:

Hello Myles,

Do you know if it is possible to make an input in a Fender pro junior or blues junior that bypasses the preamp section ?

I would like to buy one of these small amps for studio use and to monitor my pod xt (that's why I would like a direct input in the amp section)

Thanks for your help

Regards

Vincent

Vincent.............

You can do this by taking the signal source directly to the phase inverter. This can be done by any good tech.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Ziggy:

I am looking for a low wattage amplifier that produces that classic marshall sound. I just spent some time listening to Dr. Z and Carr amps and although these amps sound great, it's not what I'm looking for. Maybe you can give me some advice. Thank you very much for the info that you provide.

Ziggy ....

There are a million ways to look at this.

You told me you want a burger, ate two of them, but did not like them, and now where should you go buy a burger in a way.

Look on my website in the amps area, that may give you some ideas.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles,

I am planning on replacing the 6L6's in my Fender Pro-Tube Twin amplifier with 6L6GE's. I am looking for a slightly cleaner sound, as compared to the stock tubes, that will still warm up when slightly pushed. What rating would you recommend? I do not want to move too far in the rating system as I don't dislike my amplifier's sound now and only have the money for one set of tubes. Thank You.

Daniel

Sometimes I forget why I believe you

But then the bullets always remind me

Follow the great vending machine

Originally posted by nonfcomm:

Hey Myles,

I am planning on replacing the 6L6's in my Fender Pro-Tube Twin amplifier with 6L6GE's. I am looking for a slightly cleaner sound, as compared to the stock tubes, that will still warm up when slightly pushed. What rating would you recommend? I do not want to move too far in the rating system as I don't dislike my amplifier's sound now and only have the money for one set of tubes. Thank You.

Daniel

Personally, I would go with a set of KT66HPs in a #4 rating biased at 30mA or a set of GE #4's at the same bias. The KT66HP are perhaps my personal favorite 6L6 tube.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

Why do you recommend biasing the amp so low? Stock it is set at 60ma, but I typically set it at 52-56ma. Also, why do you like the KT66HP more than the 6L6GE?

Daniel

Sometimes I forget why I believe you

But then the bullets always remind me

Follow the great vending machine