Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Clear Channel Concerts to sell Bootlegs?

Anyone else heard about this? I saw this item at this site where I sometimes find some electronic music news, [url=http://www.side-line.com:]www.side-line.com:[/url] [i]Clear Channel Concerts, one of the biggest concertpromotors in the USA have plans to offer recordings of gigs right after they have taken place. Tests for this extra service will be taking place in the next few months during concerts in the Boston area. The news comes from The Boston Globe newspaper. It's said that the CD-r's will be sold for 15 US$ at gigs. The first discs should already be ready for sale 5 minutes after the end of the concert using a battery of CD-writers. Since Clear Channel Concerts is refusing to comment on the story it's not yet known how much artists will earn on this merchandise move. To be continued for sure! The image on the right will ring a bell to the die hard bootlegfans without any doubt.[/i] Anyone else hear about this? What does everyone think of it? From my point of view, seems like something of a double-edged sword.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could really envision it happening that an artist might do something that wouldn't be prudent to release...but 5 min after the show, everybody has copies of it in their hands. A public relations nightmare could occur...

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Now what in the Sam Hill is a concert promoter doing recording shows in the first place? If they're doing it for self-promotion, that may be acceptable, but recording and selling bootlegs? I've been organizing and promoting shows for more than a decade, and not ONCE did I have the right to record a show for anything other than personal enjoyment. The acts hold the rights to the music, the promoter to the exhibition of said acts. They should have absolutely no right to record the music for the purpose of selling it. I realize this is Clear Channel and all, but come on - how much more should those greedy bastards be entitled to get their hands on? Gods be damned, I'm starting to hate this industry more and more each day :evil:
meh

This is actually quite legal. The artist's record company does not own the rights to recordings of live performances in most cases. The artist is free to negotiate with the promoter of the concert for this type of product. HOB (House of Blues) Concerts had plans to start doing this on a large scale a few years ago, but scaled back on the plans. Phish, a few other major acts, and a few indie acts, are already doing this on their own, but AFIK you have to do this with the venue's participation, or at least with their release. In the Dead/Phish/whatever world where it is accepted that bootlegs are a part of the culture, this seems fair, but it seems like it will take some of the thrill out of it for the die hard fans. At a Britney concert, wouldn't each bootleg sound exactly like the last?

"The artist's record company does not own the rights to recordings of live performances in most cases." I wasn't trying to stand up for the labels' rights on this one, believe-you-me ;) "The artist is free to negotiate with the promoter of the concert for this type of product. " ..and so it should be. What I take issue with is the imbalance of negotiating power between the artist and the promoter. It could easily lead to scenerios where less-than-stellar artists are pretty much forced to allow the promoter to act as the [i]de facto [/i]label for the bootlegs of the artists' performances - ie, "you want to play on my stage, you have to agree to the bootlegging". A similar thing happens every time a "new" artist gets signed to a major - "accept the crappy deal or lose the opportunity."
meh

[url=http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/038/living/Instant_live_CDs_of_a_concert_Testing_to_begin_in_Boston+.shtml] Here\'s[/url] the article from the Boston Globe. Instant live CDs of a concert? Testing to begin in Boston By Steve Morse, Globe Staff, 2/7/2003 Experiments are rife in the music business these days -- and Boston will be a test market for one of the most novel of them. Clear Channel Concerts, the nation's largest concert promoter, has ambitious plans to record live CDs of its shows and sell them to patrons within five minutes after those shows end. Clear Channel is targeting Boston as the first site for the new plan, according to sources within the organization. Multiple CD burners would be brought in, and the live CDs would probably sell for around $15 in the same way that T-shirts and other merchandise can be purchased after concerts. No one knows what the demand would be, but the project is expected to begin at club shows within a couple of months, then be refined and work its way up to the amphitheater level, though that may not happen until next year, sources say. Clear Channel spokeswoman Pam Fallon would not confirm or deny word of the CD burning and sales plan. ''All I can say is that we're working on a series of initiatives in the next couple of months,'' she said. Clear Channel vice president Steve Simon, who works at Cambridge's Clear Channel office and has helped manage the platinum-selling band Boston, is said to be heading the project.

Another different [url=http://www.billboard.com/billboard/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1815754] article[/url] from Billboard about another company looking to do the same thing: [i][b]Upstart DiscLive Aims To Sell Post-Concert Live CDs[/b] Seeking to create a new revenue source for artists and labels from live performances, the new company DiscLive says it will soon begin selling CDs of just-completed concerts at the venue, Billboard Bulletin reports. New York-based DiscLive says it will send technicians to concerts to record them; some discs may come in special editions with autographs, backstage passes, or other material. The CDs will be sold at kiosks in the venues for an undisclosed price, according to a spokesperson. Concertgoers will also be able to pre-order the discs online. The business, according to CEO Rich Isaacson, will provide artists and labels with "a new, risk-free opportunity to extend the investment on their brand." "Artists and labels will get close to, if not more, money on the sale of a live CD as they would on a retail CD," says Isaacson, who adds that venue operators such as Clear Channel Entertainment will be offered a "cut" of the CD sales. "We want to be in business with everyone," he says, adding that announcements about live CDs at specific concerts will be made "in the next few weeks." Last month, sources told Bulletin that Clear Channel was developing a similar live concert CD service. At deadline, a representative from Clear Channel was unavailable for comment. -- Erik Gruenwedel, L.A. [/i]

And one [url=http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1469915/20030211/index.jhtml?headlines=true] more[/url] (promise this is the last) from MTV.com: [i][b]New Plans Offer Concertgoers Bootlegs When The Encore's Done[/b] 02.12.2003 7:57 AM EST If the idea of waiting even a week for your "instant" live bootleg from Pearl Jam seems interminable, two new ventures aim to cut your wait time to a few minutes instead of a few days. Beginning in the Boston area within the next few months, über-promoter Clear Channel Concerts will start burning live CDs at select concerts and offering them for sale within minutes of the final encore, according to Steve Simon, executive vice president of the music division at Clear Channel Entertainment. "The concept is still in its developmental phase," Simon said, "but we're working collaboratively with artists and songwriters to provide the program at select events over the next year." He said Clear Channel has already nailed down several artists to participate in the pilot program, but he couldn't name them. The CDs, which will vary in price based on the artist, will be sold outside of the venues after the show. Aiming for the same audience of superfans, a New York startup called Disclive — led by Rich Isaacson, Loud Records' co-founder and former president — has plans for a similar service. Like Clear Channel, Disclive is positioning its business as a way for the beleaguered music industry to develop a new revenue stream. "Bootlegging and taping are going on anyway," said Disclive co-founder Jake Walker, 24, who along with partner Dave Blanchard came up with the idea for the company during a college business plan competition. "Our idea is to help artists, labels, venues and our company see revenue from that. In fact, we think the labels and artists are likely to see more profit on this kind of sale than from a regular album, and they don't have to spend a penny on it. There's no risk, because we're buying all the equipment and building the business." Walker said Disclive plans to officially announce the company's launch in the next few weeks with a presentation that will show how the system works, but he couldn't yet name any artists who've signed on. In Disclive's scheme, fans pay for the live CD before a concert and print out a voucher, which will allow them to pick up their numbered, limited-edition memento less than five minutes after the concert is over at a kiosk in the venue. A limited amount of CDs will also be available for sale without the voucher, Walker said. Unlike Clear Channel's plan, Disclive plans to send its mobile recording and CD-burning unit on the road with artists. Pricing for the unmastered CDs — which will be mixed by Disclive's on-site audio engineer using a combination of the soundboard feed and microphones placed in the audience — will be decided on an artist-by-artist basis, Walker said. Over the past year, everyone from the Who to Pearl Jam and Phish have offered variations on the quick turnaround live album. While the Who's bootlegs took several weeks to arrive, Pearl Jam recently announced plans to offer secured, unmastered MP3s the night of the show to fans who've preordered that night's live album, followed by the actual product within a week (see "Pearl Jam Announce Online Bootleg Plans, Opening Acts"). Simon said it's too early to say how many albums or concerts will be offered annually, but that more information on the program will be announced soon. "The value in this is a collectible CD with a spot for your ticket stub, that, if you spent $100 for a concert, gives you more than a T-shirt," said Walker. At first, Walker said, Disclive plans to concentrate on artists with large followings of fans obsessed with the nuances of every show, such as jam bands, as well as more well-heeled concertgoers who might not attend as many shows but can afford, say, a souvenir Jimmy Buffett live CD. —Gil Kaufman[/i]

Just you watch, if the labels aren't already in deep with Clear Channel or Disc Live, they'll sue the pants of either of them. Consider this: While the artist has rights to their music, most recording contracts are exclusive. Otherwise, you can't record and release anything that isn't ok'd by the record label without express permission from them. That includes albums for other labels, tracks for compilation albums (such as movie soundtrack cuts), or even making a cameo on someone else's recording. Therefore, ClearChannel, Disclive and the artists will find themselves in hot water if the labels don't get a cut. Besides, that's clearly competition with your own label. Look at the success of albums such as Frampton Comes Alive, Kiss Alive II, various live Rush albums, or Paul McCartney's Tripping The Live Fantastic. There are plenty of other great examples of live concert albums that sold a huge number of copies. Do you really think the labels will watch that revenue disappear without an intense battle. I think not. And for once, they'll actually be the [i]true victims[/i]. :rolleyes: :freak:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived