Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me write a gift-buying article

Gaddabout

I'm writing some gift-buying articles on drums and guitars for the website I work for. I'm also writing to a broad audience, particularly to parents buying gifts for their kids, but know nothing about how to buy instruments. I thought I'd check with you guys to get your comments. The drum board seemed to be alright with the drum article, but I know much less about guitars. Please feel free to offer suggestions or criticism. If I've misspelled something, please point it out. Thanks!

Music instruments make excellent Christmas gifts, particularly for guitarist and drummers.

The cost of acquiring gear can wipe out anyone attempting to do it all themselves, so many aspiring musicians require help from family and friends.

When buying guitars, be aware that the guitar by itself may not be all that's needed. If you buy an electric, there's the additional cost of an amp. If you buy an expensive guitar, you'll surely want to protect it with a case. There's also little things that may prove to be important, such as straps and picks.

Below are some suggestions, big and small, for the guitarist in your family this Christmas.

GUITARS

Guitarists can be extra picky when it comes to the gear they play, so it's always important to inquire about their quirks. Below are some popular choices:

BIG TICKET ITEMS

Gibson Les Paul Standards electric guitar ($2,210): It would be difficult to find a guitar lover who wouldn't want one of these. Mahogany body and neck. Arch maple top. Alaneco aluminum-nickel pick-ups. Sweet.

Taylor 355 12-string jumbo acoustic guitar ($1,070): With a solid spruce top, mahogany back and sides and an ebony fret board, this big boy provides an excellent chorus tone.

Warwick Corvette 5-string bass ($1,200): Like the car, this bass has some muscle, good for poppers and slappers, and it has that extra low-end for jazz. Comes with bubunga back and top and active electronics (battery powered that's a good thing).

Mesa Boogie Amp w/triple-rectifier heads ($1,600): All-tube, 150-watt amp wins the day. It's the amp of the moment.

BEGINNER'S CHOICE

Yamaha 335 6-string steel ($180): This is a good beginner acoustic guitar with a great tone. String spacing is close, which is good for people with smaller hands. Comes with a solid spruce top.

KNICK KNACKS

Boss Metal Zone ($90): Distortion pedal good for rock and heavy metal.

Ibanez Tube Screamer ($80) Great over-drive pedal, especially for tube heads. Boosts output of guitar more than distorts tone.

Boss Bass Overdrive ($85): Functions much like the Ibanez Tube Screamer, but for bass guitars. Gives a clean bass tone.

Guitar cases ($90 - $300)

STOCKING STUFFERS

Picks

Strings

Peg winders (handle to spin strings on guitar pegs)

Tuners

Pick holder

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My only suggestion is that, if you're buying a gift for a woman, the more practical it is, the less she's going to like it. If your wife or girlfriend plays guitar, Santa had better show up with something other than a brand new tuner and a new box of strings, or it's going to be a long cold winter. :D

when comparing the boss bass distortion i might compare it to the ibanez phat-hed, also for bass, rather than a guitar pedal

but id imagine comparing it to its own company would work better, paticulary the metal zone, as its already on your list

but then again im not in advertising :)

i might also incluse a few more pedals/extras, they are in a better price range for gift-giving and

a little more universal when it comes to opinion

other than that im in agreement with dan :cool:

In keeping with the "impractical is better" gifting thread, why not a few instrument suggestions that are out of the ordinary? A 7-string, a baritone, an electric 12, an electric sitar, a MIDI-ready guitar, an acoustic bass, an 8 string bass, etc., all have the novelty appeal of a great gift.

(FYI - isn't it "Alnico"?)

Originally posted by AlChuck:

O come on, does anyone really buy $2K guitars for somebody for Christmas? Where are you, Beverly Hills World?

Guitars? I don't know. But that kind of money is not unusual for a Christmas present. Go to most American suburbs, and you'll see parents using their good credit to buy computers, used cars and what not.

But if you know of a prized guitar in a more moderate price range, please do write about here. I'm wide open to suggestions.

Maybe it's because I grew up in a lower middle-class family and now live in the SF Bay Area where nearly 50% of my income goes straight to the house payment, but presents in that price range seem like unreal fantasy to me...

Originally posted by AlChuck:

Maybe it's because I grew up in a lower middle-class family and now live in the SF Bay Area where nearly 50% of my income goes straight to the house payment, but presents in that price range seem like unreal fantasy to me...

I grew up in a poor family, so I know where you're coming from.

Where are the Fender Stratocasters and Tele's?? You didn't include the worlds best guitars :D:D

I might suggest looking up the prices on some of the gift packs that come with a guitar, little practice amp, tuner etc... The prices on these are much more sensible and fit a good majority of people giving guitars as presents- Parents to their children who own no instruments at all and need everything. Here is an example taken from a Musicians Friend catalog- Strat Pack. Consits of a Squier Strat, Squier champ practice amp, tuner, strap, picks, set of strings and instructional video for $300.00 .

Where are the Fender Stratocasters and Tele's?? You didn't include the worlds best guitars

I agree, the Strat is the worlds most popular guitar and a good playable Fender can be bought for about $400. I started on a Fender Telecaster which was a graduation gift from my Dad so I think it is a perfect gift for a beginner musician. I actually can't imagine giving a $2,000 Gibson to anyone as a gift, I'd probably decide to keep it. :D

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

My first thought was in line with other comments -- who's going to give an expensive guitar without making sure it's in line with what the recipient wants? I'd stay more with accessories. Get a Musician's Friends catalog and you'll get plenty of ideas. Also, I have a Taylor (310KCE) and absolutely love it. But a good gift for alot of guitarists would be a Baby Taylor. They are very popular. They are very small yet sound good. And only a few hundred dollars. It would make a great gift for someone who already has electric guitars, for example.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Well from my perspective I allways welcome the big little things.

STRINGS BY THE BOX.

I never have enough strings and buy them by the box. For me it would be a great gift.

BATTERIES.

Do I hafta 'splain? If you use them you need a supply. Effects and tuners ect. will eat them up.

A SWEET CUSTOM MADE LEATHER GUITAR STRAP.

ELDORADO and MOSBY make EXCELLENT highest quality guitar straps that are to die for! Would make my Christmass, for sure.

PRO GRADE TUNER.

Not one of those floor boxes but an honest to goodness rack mounted STROBE Tuner with all the bells and whistles. You really do need it.

If the guitarist uses pedals. Get them a PRO PEDALBOARD w/POWER SUPPLY.

Furman makes a nice one and there are custom pedalboard builders too.

A KILLER HARDSHELL CASE.

Flight Case or Wood/Leather lots of options.

CARE PRODUCTS.

Polish, fingerboard oil, metal cleaner/polish, finish cleaner. String cleaners, pot and electronic cleaners, lubricants/graphite, tools for adjustments( screw drivers, allen wrenches, pliers files ect..), cleaning cloths.... lots of stuff.

NOS TUBES.

Come on!! Mullard EL34's Blackplate 6L6's you know...

NEW ALNICO SPEAKERS.

Can't beat a set of Celestion Alnico Blues or Jensens Blue Bells to perk up that tube amp!!

MONSTER CABLE or another high quality cord.

Several!!!!

Archived