Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Extreme stompbox effects

Ok- why am I not posting this in the guitar forum? Because this is a thread about using guitar effects in abnormal ways...on other instruments, or to make a guitar sound like a synth/garbled mess. I'll give up a trick first, to get the ball rolling. Go to the radio shack and get yourself a wall wart power supply- the one that has about six diferrent connectors, including a pad that will connect to the 9V battery pad inside of your effects, if they don't have power supply inputs already. Now, when a wah wah pedal is starved of almost all of it's power, it will emit dolphin like cried by itself, without any input source. This works like a charm on my Jimmy Hendrix wah- it actually works a little better when I just let the battery almost die out. The radio shack supply gives a little too much power, but I can still get the effect. Try this method with any effect...you'll be surprised at the wide variety of tones you can get. My guess is that most guitar pedals can withstand working on less power w/out much problem, because I've been doing this for years.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
interesting... I always change my batteries when I start to hear that noise... never thought to use it to my advantage. My wah gets a barely audible litle 'hitch' just below the top of the pedal range when the battery gets too low... can't hear it with the power supply or a fresh 9v. My only other pedal right now is a Zoom 506II that just craps out when the batteries are low. I'll keep that in mind when I buy more stomper though. DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Here's one for you, found this by accident. I have several amps in my studio, was using a Johnson amp set to dynamic chorus. Probably work with any amp and effect. Anyway I had my cell phone on top of the amp, I was at the mixing board setting up the track when I received a cell call. It produced the wildest synth like sound out of the amp. After the call I started messing around with it. Calling the cell and working the live phone around the amp, really trippy. Just confirms the brain fry we're getting using these things. Doug
overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

My guitar player just found out something cool along those lines.. if he puts the back of his Parker up to his mouth and shouts while he plays, he gets a wild 'talk box' effect... DX Haha... just read my post back... glad I didn't say 'he puts his Fly to his mouth' :eek:

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

I once built an autowah from a kit, you could set the threshold really high so you really had to whack the guitar to set the sound through, very strange sound :) If you got it right, the tales of notes produced this wierd squalling sound before the unit closed. :thu:
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

[quote]Originally posted by Rog: [b]I once built an autowah from a kit, you could set the threshold really high so you really had to whack the guitar to set the sound through, very strange sound :) If you got it right, the tales of notes produced this wierd squalling sound before the unit closed. :thu: [/b][/quote]Auto-wahs/envelope filters are the shit! I use them all the time. I really like the sound of the gain control on my electro harmonix unit- I'll often just use that and bypass the rest of the unit. It hypes the eq of whatever you run through it in a good and aggressive way. Try envelope filtering echoes/reverbs, if you feel like getting wacky.

I've found my Line6 POD to be useful for bass, keyboard, even vocals... There's lots of sounds and effects, and with the amp models on or off... you can "mess" with the signal with some unexpected and cool results. Nice music thread topic! :thu: guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

[quote]Originally posted by guitplayer: [b]I've found my Line6 POD to be useful for bass, keyboard, even vocals... There's lots of sounds and effects, and with the amp models on or off... you can "mess" with the signal with some unexpected and cool results. Nice music thread topic! :thu: guitplayer[/b][/quote]I've found amp sims to be useful in layering with actual amp sounds. There's something about that digital crud that can make for a rude sound- you just need to tame it.

Archived