Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Songs with no chorus or bridge

LiveMusic

Can anyone name any songs that do not have any repeating lines? I guess a chorus or repeating lines are used because people like something familiar but I was wondering if any songs can work that just tell a story from beginning to end with no repeats. (Complete with rhyming lines but no repeats.)

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LiveMusic:

Can anyone name any songs that do not have any repeating lines? I guess a chorus or repeating lines are used because people like something familiar but I was wondering if any songs can work that just tell a story from beginning to end with no repeats. (Complete with rhyming lines but no repeats.)

Bob Dylan wrote lots where the only line that's repeated is the title (if that's close enough for you). "Desolation Row" and "Tangled Up In Blue" would be two of my favorites. They don't really follow a verse/chorus structure, but just keep going and going and going, while telling some sort of narrative. You could probably put songs as diverse as "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" (Gordon Lightfoot) or "Sister Ray" (Velvet Underground) in that category, although the latter definitely repeats lines (and I really don't know what the story is about except that it involves transvestite junkies shooting a sailor ... hmmm, if you were a sailor, would you rather die by drowning in the icy waters of lake Erie or by being shot by a transvestite junkie? Not particularly appealing, either way :( ).

Okay gsmith, can I ask you a question only slightly related to this thread? Why did REM name that wonderful song after your town? Doesn't mention Texarkana once in the song, but that's the title they chose. Been curious for about 10 years now.

Bo-Diddley wrote lots of songs based on one chord, though some of them may have had a verse/chorus defined by words alone. "Who Do You Love" is a good example, George Thorouhgood had a big hit with this one, and the namesake song "Bo-Diddley" with what could be defined as a chorus in "hey Bo-Diddley" even though it's a one-chord song.

On the other end of the spectrum, some of the best progressive rock songs have no verse/chorus structure, "Thick as a Brick", several songs by Yes and Genesis (1970's era especially)

This is one of the things I like most about music, anything goes, simple, complex, if it sounds right it is right.

Jim in Canada

timrocker,

That has been a point of speculation around these parts for a while as well. The only guesses have been this was the location where the inspiration for the song struck or that they were actually making fun of the area. Most lean towards the first idea because while we locals will admit things are pretty slow around here, it's not quite as bad as the since of isolation presented in the song's lyrics.

Take care,

Glenn

Yeah I like the idea of no rules, long as its a great feel, and a great groove. I always think of Nashville when I hear somebody insisting on the verse chorus verse chorus bridge mindset....cause EVERY song outa there has the basic formula, same licks..everything! I like when somebody hangs onto a super cool riff and works around that....everybody from Lou Reed to Steve Earle has just KILLED on that. But having said that I have heard songs where a bridge or something or another was definitely needed. Personal preference.....no rights or wrongs.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

A Christmas Song - written by Mel Torme & usually sung by Nat King Cole ( you know - Chestnuts roasting...)

Many Dylan songs e.g. Positively 4th Street, John Wesley Harding,...

Manic Depression - Hendrix

Most of these do repeat musical themes but not words - so there is some song structure for our brains to latch onto..

Based on these examples, without a lyrical chorus or bridge, it seems to take some combination of a great melody, vocal performance, attitude galore, great musicianship and/or an outstanding set of lyrics to make this work. But, then again, I suppose any good song requires these things doesn't it.

Interesting challenge to try and write one of these without it falling flat - Hmmm.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

Is Bob Mould a performer or just a writer? Never heard of him.

He (gtr) and Grant Hart (drums) were the singer/songwriters of the great 80's band from Minneapolis, Husker Du. Since that band broke up, Mould has recorded/toured both solo and with his more recent band, Sugar.

Originally posted by Tedmeister:

Actually, the Fitz sank in Lake Superior...just for the record...

That's correct! I actually met Edmond Fitzgerald in 1996. (It was actually the son of the ship's namesake.) He was 50 or 60-something years old, and was speaking at a convention. He took the time to give some interesting background on the ship and the wreck because the mention of his name gets rooms buzzing! Neat stuff.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

That's correct! I actually met Edmond Fitzgerald in 1996. (It was actually the son of the ship's namesake.) He was 50 or 60-something years old, and was speaking at a convention. He took the time to give some interesting background on the ship and the wreck because the mention of his name gets rooms buzzing! Neat stuff.

Wow that musta have been one slow convention

:P

Rivers

Smell the Magic

www.Katp.com

Archived