Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to use a computer in your music

LiveMusic

My laptop is dying and I need a new one. Should I get a PC (which is all I know) or a Mac? I use my computer in my work but if it could be used with a live act, I'd want to consider that. As far as business use, I can't see going to a Mac but I'm interested in any comments. Plus, how could a laptop be utilized musically?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually the last computer music work I did was with one of those Yamaha CMX5 things from the early 80s but I would imagine that it all comes down to the software that accomplishes your goals & the amount of memory, etc., needed to pile-on the needed plug-ins.

Hope it works out for ya !

Guys, Quite a few of us are using laptops as a multitrack recorder. Actually I'm mastering a classical recording which I did on my laptop as I write this (on another computer). Check out some of the software products by Steinberg, Emagic or Cakewalk. They all have multirack recording capability and most have MIDI sequencing as well. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread!

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

My laptop is dying and I need a new one. Should I get a PC (which is all I know) or a Mac? I use my computer in my work but if it could be used with a live act, I'd want to consider that. As far as business use, I can't see going to a Mac but I'm interested in any comments. Plus, how could a laptop be utilized musically?

Good thing you didn't post this in SSS or Keyboard forum - Pc vs Mac debates get ugly fast.

I'll write this as if your computer music knowledge is limited. Excuse me if you're more than a beginner.

I'd strongly recommend going Mac. I use a Windows PC at work, Mac at home (actually, we have 3 Macs). Mac set up is a breeze, very high "coolness" factor, plus OS X is going to be very music app friendly. Pound for pound, you might pay a bit more for a Mac, but it's soooo worth it.

As for as doing business on a Mac, Microsoft makes Office for Mac that works just like Office for Windows. You can transfer Word, Excel, etc. back and forth between platforms. MacLink also allows you to open PC format files on your Mac.

As for music, Macs have a substantial lead over PCs in number of users. Pro Tools is Mac only, as are many other widely used music apps. Some way cool ones are Native Instruments B4 (a virtual Hammond B3 in your Mac - amazing!) and Pro-52 (a virtual Prophet 5 synth). There are 2 Windows only music apps that are very popular, the loop-based music software Acid and the powerful software sampler Gigasampler. There are Mac equivalents, however, including Steinberg's new Mac sampler Halion which will open Gigasampler sample files.

As for using a laptop in a live act, it's simple. Add a MIDI interface and audio interface to your rack (2 spaces total) and you're off and running. Run sequenced MIDI backing tracks, prerecorded backing vocals, play software based synths and samplers from a MIDI keyboard, etc. The opportunities are endless.

Apple just lowered the price on the Powerbook G4 Titanium series, definitely the best choice for music apps to go. Check them out. I like Mark of the Unicorn for Digital Performer (their recording/sequencing software), for their 828 (a new Firewire audio interface at a great price), and their MIDI interfaces (I use the MIDI Express).

Hope this helps.

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: mzeger ]

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: mzeger ]

Archived