Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cover Versions?

hugo121

Hello guys and gals!

I would really like to hear the forum's choice of covered songs,ones that are as good as,or better,if possible than the original artist.

To kick the topic off i recommend:

Cathy Dennis.....Waterloo Sunset

Reba McEntire.....If i fell for you

Hmmmm,can't think of much else that lights my fire in the covers dept.suggestions?

Hugo...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like you're into country, so, I'll offer up one of my faves, Merle Haggard's covers of Bob Wills tunes. It may be about 20 years old now, but it cooks.

And Dolly, Linda, and Emmylou's (I think Linda and Emmylou were on it) cover of Neil Young's "After the Goldrush". Their voices really work well on that. They sing as purty as they look...

Tom Petty's cover of Thunderclap Newman's "Something in the Air"...

This message has been edited by Tedster on 10-21-2001 at 12:20 PM

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Everclear doing a very modified version of "Brown Eyed Girl". I have mixed feelings about it, I can say that it's interesting and very much "bent" to the Everclear formula. Madonna's version of "American Pie" is very enjoyable and not at all disrespectful to the original. What is that lyric about "I was a lonely teenage _____ _____ " I can never make that out when she sings it. Anyone?

Too many to count..

Kenny Loggins - St. Judy's Comet (Paul Simon)

Michael Hedges - All Along The Watchtower (Bob Dylan)

.................A Love Bizarre (Sheila E)

James Taylor - Up On The Roof (Sam Cooke, etc. I wouldn't say better, but just as good and VERY different)

Manfred Mann - Blinded By The Light (Bruce Springsteen, who mumbled his way through the original.)

Take Me To The River - Talking Heads (Al Green, also good)

Patches - B.B. King and George Jones (...??? I can't remember his name!)

That's enough for now!

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Y`know, now that I look at it, shouldn`t that be buckin` bronc, as in

bucking bronco? gimme a break, Don!

then you`d have to find a rhyme for it...

`I was a lonely teenage buckin bronc

I picked up my six-string and my pig said `oink`...`

Say, maybe Don has a point...

Originally posted by Tedster:

Tom Petty's cover of Thunderclap Newman's "Something in the Air"...

HELL YES!!! That rules!!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Actually TP and the Heartbreakers did a TON of great cover songs - they did "For What It's Worth" like you wouldn't believe, if you saw them live. And they also did about the best version of "Shout" that anybody's ever done, IMO.

I'm pretty nutso about some of the covers the early Stones did of their R&B idols, like their versions of "Route 66" and "Carol", not to mention the Lennon/McCartney song "I Wanna Be Your Man".

Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck doing "People Get Ready" was pretty awesome, too!

Oh, and my band is in the middle of recording a bunch of stuff including covers of "Backtrack" by Squeeze (man what a rocker!) and "Here Without You" by the Byrds. And if I dare say so myself, so far they're kickin' some ass. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

--Lee

Speaking of further Tom Petty covers...at his concert last summer he did a great cover of Dylan's "Rainy Day Women" and you'd best believe the crowd was singing along...not to mention his cover of Gene Clark's "Feel a Whole Lot Better"...

"People Get Ready" rules...

Ah geez, so many covers, so little time...

I heard David Johanson do a rockin cover of 'Build me up Buttercup' at a show once. Pretty cool.

Blondie did a mean cover of 'Ring of Fire' by Johnney Cash.

Bram Tchkowsky did a great rock version of 'I'm a Believer' made famous by the Monkees and written by Neil Diamond.

I liked Elvis C's version of Nick Lowe's 'What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding.'

Also liked Dave Edmonds and Linda Ronstadt's seperate covers of Elvis C's; 'Girls Talk.'

Originally posted by bonebag:

"The BEST cover I've heard... Jeff Buckley's version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" ".

I second that.

Third.

Jeff Beck doing "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" maybe. *Possibly*, and this is a difficult one, Beck's version of "Day in the Life". Tori Amos doing her weirdo-serialism take on Slayer's "Reign in Blood" probably. Hendrix doing "All Along the Watchtower" is maybe too obvious. Sting's version of Hendrix' "Little Wing" is pretty cool. Zappa and co. doing Sting's "Murder by Numbers". I've got a bootleg of Jeff Buckley doing an Edith Piaf tune that's crazy, no doubt more listenable than the original. Metallica's "Turn the Page"? Not too fond of it - but I'm not verly fond of the original, either...

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Oh Oh Oh! ...

Strat 0124 thank you for bringing up Zep. Have been curious for about 20 years now-where did the song "When The Levee Breaks" originate from? I assumed that it's a cover of an older blues song, is that true? Every time I hear that, the hair on the back of my neck stands up and I'm transported away to a hella crazed cozmic Deep South state of mind. The sound of Bonzo's drums and Jimmy Page's alt-tuned slide guitar are an experience that just doesn't quit. The middle part where it modulates into a more major feel and the drum feel changes are just about the most diabolical way a song ever "let the sun shine through". Dang, I love that song. Anyone shed some light on that one for me?

Tim, "When the Levee Breaks" is indeed an old blues song, made popular by Memphis Minnie who recorded it in the late 1920's. And I agree, I'd have to vote for Zep's version as being the possibly the best cover ever. Un-frickin-believable. When I was putting my studio drum kit together and went shopping for crash cymbals, I made sure to look for one that sounded like Bonzo's crash on that song!

[WARNING: shameless plug follows]

And now you can listen to my band doing a cover of an old Byrds song, " Here Without You ."

--Lee

All of which raises a question...

Lee's band's cover of the Byrds tune is pretty faithful to the original.

Which do y'all prefer? Covers that are faithful to the original, or covers that deliver the artist's own interpretation of the song unencumbered by nods to prior arrangements? I can go either way...I guess it depends on the song.

Well, Ted... I've recorded a few covers in my day and I always figured that if I tried to re-create the original or keep it too true, I might as well go work at the Department of Rudundancy Department.

I do a cover of 'Use Me' by the amazing Bill Withers that would have him smacking me about the head if he ever heard it!

And here's another question I always ask fellow musicians:

Are there any songs that just shouldn't be covered? Not because they're sacred or anything, but they just can't be done any better.

I know quite a few, but I just woke up, and haven't had my pot of coffee yet. I know American Pie was probobly one of them!!! :D

Steve

Originally posted by Tedster:

Which do y'all prefer? Covers that are faithful to the original, or covers that deliver the artist's own interpretation of the song unencumbered by nods to prior arrangements?

I like covers that take the song somewhere new. You'll notice that all the ones I've mentioned (Buckley, Hüsker Dü, Primus), the artists put their own signature sound to the songs. Another good one is the Dinosaur Jr. version of Bowie's "Quicksand". The music is the same, but Mascis wrote all new words to it.

More good examples: SNFU's version of "Wild World". Devo's cover of "Satisfaction". Also, any song off the Ramones' "Acid Eaters".

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Archived