Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What new stuff are you listening to?

Kendrix

This board seems to have gooten a bit slow lately.

Wazzup?

In an effort to stoke things up - and since Im feeling the need to buy some new sounds to listen to I thought this topic might be worthwhile.

Lately I cant stop blasting "rollin & tumblin" off the new J. Beck CD.

Great use of panning effects.

M. Knopflers new one is very tame but tastefull. I still cant figure out how he gets some of his sounds / plays some of his riffs.

What about youz guyz?

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A year or so old, but great and not-so-well-known is the English group MUSE. Give 'em a shot. Also, the Canadian group MOIST is very solid.

------------------

Matt

No clever saying.

No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

The new New Order record is pretty cool and more guitar oriented than their last couple of discs.

In heaviest rotation for me though is a bunch of old stuff. The Velvets boxed set, a cool Lou Reed Radio Concert cd from like '72 I just got and I've also been listening a lot to My Bloody Valentine again.

If you've never listened to MBV and are looking for something different I'd highly recommend checking them out. May sound weird at first, but after a few listens it's like your ears tune to it and you start hearing the most amazing melodies.

MBV RULE-true great guitar stuff.

i B listenin to ST.GERMAIN-'TOURIST'

anyone who has the stones to sample john lee hooker and miles davis(and make it work!) GOTTA have it goin on and on and on and onanononon...

s

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Diana Krall - The Look of Love

Bjork - Vespertine

Cornell's solo cd. Although a really weird sounding remastered cd of the Police's _Ghost in the Machine_ is getting the most play. Really strange sounding, "perfectly flat", sort of squashed, like it's gone through a multiband compressor... I don't remember my record sounding like that.

Haven't heard any new guitar stuff lately that does anything for me.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Ive been listening to:

[*]Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain

[*]The Necks - Aquatic

[*]Miles Davis - Complete Silent Way Sessions

[*]Andre Estermann - Balloon

[*]Sigur Rós - Agætis Byrjun

[*]Aphex Twin - Drukqs

[*]Björk - Vespertine

[*]Monolake - Cinemascope

[*]Brothomstates - Claro

[*]Barbara Morgenstern - Fjorden

[*]B. Fleischmann - A Choir of Empty Beds

[*]The Ecstasy of Saint Theresa - Fluidtrance Centauri

[*]Aspen - Music From Passing Cars

[*]Quench - Exclude

[*]Abfarht Hinwill - Program

[*]Fennesz - Endless Summer

[*]various artists - Men With Boxes

[*]various artists - Ru.electronic

[*]various artists - Merck - Squadron

[*]various artists - Neurokinetic

Top nods go to Goldfrapp, Andre Estermann, Sigur Rós, Björk, Barbara Morgenstern and Quench...especially the Quench.

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Okay, you might laugh at this one. I'm really enjoying the new ELO CD, Zoom. This disc is FUN! Great energy, super guitar sounds. The essence of pop. Also have enjoyed the new Aerosmith. Red Hot Chili Peppers "Californication". Offspring, Lenny Kravitz, 3 Doors Down. Great times for music!

d gauss (and the rest of you Jimmy Vaughn fans out there)

Not trying to get a rise out anyone but I've never understood why people get so excited about Jimmy's playing. He's got this stiff and clumsy technique and displays no discernable sense of rhythm. It seems to me that his brother was exactly the opposite -- fluid, graceful and always in the groove. So what am I missing?

And in reference to the Double Trouble post, I caught their recent Austin City Limits appearance with brother Jimmy, of course. From what I saw, I think that Kenny Wayne Shepard just doesn't get it, all flash and no depth, but Jonny Lang is actually developing into something.

I'll admit, I'm not a guitar freak in general and I tend not to listen to guitar players that don't sing but luckily I can still get most of the guitar I need from Richard Thompson and Buddy Miller!

Quoted by Timrocker,

Okay, you might laugh at this one. I'm really enjoying the new ELO CD, Zoom. This disc is FUN! Great energy, super guitar sounds.

I've only heard the single, Ordinary Dream from the album,sounds good tho' I read that he did the whole album himself 'cept the strings.(don't you just hate those multi-talented bastards! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif )

Is this it? The Strokes. Damn fine!

The invisible band. Travis. Lots of acousticy,12 stringy pop!

Cosmic Roughriders. Enjoy the Melodic Sunshine.. Love that jangly psychadelia thang!

Suzanne Vega. Songs in Red and Gray. Best (and only) cd in years!

Super Furry Animals. Rings Around the World. well crafted pop with liberal sprinklings of weirdness!

Hugo.

A friend of mine (Audley Freed) has been playing with the Black Crowes for a few years but before that, he had a band called "Cry of Love". Check out their first cd called "Brother". Worth a listen.

------------------

Steve Horrell

-Steve

-----------------------------------

Sometimes ya gotta find out what it ain't, to find out what it is...

Oops! Sorry Lisa. I spoke too soon...missed your mention of Audley in the "Bottlerockets' thread. I'm new to the forum.

------------------

Steve Horrell

-Steve

Me too, Tedster. Even when it's new, it ain't new. Jeff Beck's one of the few guys I hear stretching the electric guitar's limits these days, IMHO. 'Saw him awhile back real close...made me cry. He thinks past the limits, ya know?

-Steve

Wow, I keep hearing that about Jeff Beck. I saw a fellow here in town recently do a note-on cover of "People Get Ready" and it was just the tits! Had to admire his taste.

Yeah, hugo I think you'd really like the rest of the ELO album.

Did anyone else give Fountains Of Wayne a spin? I bought their "Utopia Parkway" disc and really dug it.

I have been listening to old crusty Joe Walsh albums lately and am positively renewed in admiration for his style. He just seems so honest.

Originally posted by d gauss:

nick lowe tribute CD

new jimmie vaughan

new el vez

-d. gauss

Jimmie's new one...is it newer than "Out There"? I was diggin on his stuff this weekend. I wish they'd put out the very early Fab Tbirds again.....its so damn pure....remember the song "She Tough"?

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by Tedster:

I never get to listen to anything new. Or anything old, for that matter. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

Hey Tedster,

Sorry to hear this.

Based on an earlier post of yours i understand your wife isnt in the mood too often either.

So lets review: Almost No sx. & No Rock & Roll.

I sure do hope you got some sort of vice happening to keep you sane.

Have you discovered something we dont know about?? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Originally posted by strat0124:

Jimmie's new one...is it newer than "Out There"? I was diggin on his stuff this weekend. I wish they'd put out the very early Fab Tbirds again.....its so damn pure....remember the song "She Tough"?

strat,

yes, it's his third one. 1st for a new label. he produced it and it's kinda raw and even sloppy in parts but neat. i think his kid is playing wah wah on one song. i get the feeling a good chunck of it was cut live in the studio vocals and all. the duet of the johnny guitar watson song with lou ann barton from the double trouble CD is also on there.

re: t-birds she's tough. that was originally a jerry mccain song. if you haven't, you should check out his stuff from the early 60's. lotsa fun.

-d. gauss

Originally posted by mplspaul:

d gauss (and the rest of you Jimmy Vaughn fans out there)

Not trying to get a rise out anyone but I've never understood why people get so excited about Jimmy's playing.

no rise here. to me, jimmie's cool, and i'm sure he can defend himself without my 2 cents. btw, richard thompson's "shoot out the lights" is an all time fave...

cheers,

-d. gauss

I'm really into Modest Mouse right now. Great stuff. In my cd player =

1. Modest Mouse - Building Nothing Out of Something

2. The Mooney Suzuki - People Get Ready (60's garage rock)

3. Super Furry Animals - Rings Around the World

4. The Strokes - Is this it?

5. Godspeed You Black Emperor! - Lift Your Skinny Fists...

Godspeed is like moody classical guitar rock. With lots of added strings and anti-establishment talking added in for good measure. Modest Mouse is the best band ever...until I get sick of them or someone better comes along or I realize how good Radiohead is again.

Joey

Originally posted by aeon@mediaone.net:

Ive been listening to:

[*]Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain

[*]The Necks - Aquatic

[*]Miles Davis - Complete Silent Way Sessions

[*]Andre Estermann - Balloon

[*]Sigur Rós - Agætis Byrjun

[*]Aphex Twin - Drukqs

[*]Björk - Vespertine

[*]Monolake - Cinemascope

[*]Brothomstates - Claro

[*]Barbara Morgenstern - Fjorden

[*]B. Fleischmann - A Choir of Empty Beds

[*]The Ecstasy of Saint Theresa - Fluidtrance Centauri

[*]Aspen - Music From Passing Cars

[*]Quench - Exclude

[*]Abfarht Hinwill - Program

[*]Fennesz - Endless Summer

[*]various artists - Men With Boxes

[*]various artists - Ru.electronic

[*]various artists - Merck - Squadron

[*]various artists - Neurokinetic

Top nods go to Goldfrapp, Andre Estermann, Sigur Rós, Björk, Barbara Morgenstern and Quench...especially the Quench.

2 out of 20 from the little island in the north(Björk,Sigur Rós)...Nice http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Larry Carlton and Steve Lukather's No Substitues on Favored Nations, Manuel Barreuco's new one with Steve Morse and Al Di Meola, Phil Keaggy's Lights of Madrid,and Pat Metheny's soundtrack for Map of the World

Gwen :P

"Sometimes it's easier to buy gear than to practice..."

Legitimately new stuff:

Lifehouse

Lucy Kaplansky

New to me:

I bought a Jean-Luc Ponty record a few weeks ago and have listened to it a few times. Looking forward to picking up some classic Pat Metheny this weekend.

Just wanted to mention the new New Order record is really good. An interesting mix of guitars, keyboards and bass.

It's more rocking than anything they've done in ages and I mean that in a literal sense. A lot of guitar for them.

Billy Corgan makes a nice vocal cameo as well.

Originally posted by Kendrix:

Hey Tedster,

Sorry to hear this.

Based on an earlier post of yours i understand your wife isnt in the mood too often either.

So lets review: Almost No sx. & No Rock & Roll.

I sure do hope you got some sort of vice happening to keep you sane.

Have you discovered something we dont know about?? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Don't do any drugs either. Well, a Cap'n Morgan and Coke now and again. Maybe I'll change my name to Shen Fong and become a Shaolin Monk...

I'm listening to Sonicnet radio right now...had the Dylan cover station on...now it's oldies.

But in reality...sometimes I just kinda tune the radio on that's in my brain. I keep hoping it'll play something clever (which it hardly ever does), which I assume won't happen if I keep cluttering it up with other stuff. One can hope, can't one?

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived