Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is a capo a no-no?

dansouth

I see capos used mostly by singers, some of whom are pretty decent guitarists. But guitar idol types never seem to use the device. Is the a stigma attached to the capo? Is it like wearing white socks with black shoes?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What kind of idols do you mean?

James Taylor, Lindsey Buckingham, Don Felder, Paul Simon?

Most of the guitarists that use capos do so because they recognize the need to tailor the song to the voice singing it, be it their voice or another singer, as much as the desired timbre of the instrument. It's difficult if not impossible to use your favorite inversions in other keys, without a capo or detuning.

Virtuoso's on the order of Van Halen, etc. detune the instrument to Eb or D, instead of E, to compensate in the other direction. Both methods have their plus's and minus's.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Use a capo all you want anytime you want. Anyone tells you it's not "muy macho", kick 'em in the balls.

I will say it's hard to bend strings on a capoed guitar, though, and the thing can go out of tune really easily if you do.

And, I still need to try a Shubb capo. I use my Kyser quite a bit.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by d gauss:

jimmie vaughan, keith richard, albert collins....CAPO!

-d. gauss

Django Reinhart, Joe Pass, Bucky Pizzarelli, Tal Farlow, John McLaughlin, John Lennon, Pete Townshend, Jimi Hendrix, Al DiMeola, Steve Vai, Randy Rhodes, Eric Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jeff Beck, Joe Satriani...no CAPO!

I use a capo shamelessly and no one has ever commented on it. When I worked in the pit for a live production of "Man of La Mancha" it was either use a capo for half of the songs or play all bar chords on those songs, on a classical guitar. Many Flamenco guitarists use a capo even when they aren't accompanying a singer, I had occasion to ask one why recently, the answer: "it brings the action down and makes the faster passages easier to play".

Jim in Canada http://ampcast.com/sologuitar

Okay...I'll give you an example of a capo as stupidity. There are a bunch of old guys here that can't play barred chords at all...they play old time country and most of them only know three chords, G, C, and D. So if someone calls out a song in A, they capo on the second fret and play it in G. Dumb.

HOWEVER...a capo is a tool. Saying not to use a capo is like saying "It's not manly to change your spark plugs with a wrench. If you can't twist them buggers out, you're not a man...no wrench".

Sounds stupid, doesn't it? It's a tool. Use it when you need to. That's why they make 'em. The reason all of those other guitarists don't use a capo is that they play stuff that doesn't require one. And I don't care how good they are. If you want to play "Here Comes The Sun" the way George played it, you've got to capo on the seventh fret. Period.

I think that when playing lead and not soloing, you're generally playing two and three string parts to accentuate the rhythm part so, I anyway, don't bother with a capo. On rhythm, you're much more dependant on open strings to create good parts that sound cool when played all by themselves, so yeah, if I'm playing rhythm I'll use a capo to get the voicings I want utilizing open strings in the desired key. So bottom line; capo = cool on rhythm, unnecessary on lead.

I can't think of a song that Johnney used capo on, but Georgie boy definately used one on 'Here Comes the Sun.'

And Dan, what's wrong with white socks and black shoes? Most of the rockabilly guys, Elvis C, The Beatles... I've seen loads of cool rockers with that apparal.

Originally posted by DC:

So bottom line; capo = cool on rhythm, unnecessary on lead.

albert collins would be stunned to hear that (well he'd probably be stunned to hear anything since he's dead...but).... he played all that great shit with a capo on the 7th fret and the telecaster tuned to F#m!

-d. gauss

I think the capo got its stigma from the fact that a lot of folk singers used them to compensate for the fact that they were unable to play anything other than first position open chords. Using a capo became associated with wimpy chops.

But there are plenty of legitimate uses for using a capo. A lot of country lead players use them so they can use open strings in different keys. Slide players too.

Like someone above said, it's just a tool and you can use or misuse it. It should never be used as a crutch though to make up for lack of chord knowledge.

Note that Noel Gallagher from Oasis uses one as a crutch because he's a lousy player.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Geez, I love the sound of open chords capo'd. It can add a whole other dimension to a song. Didn't realize anybody considered it "uncool". Then again, our drummer often wears white socks with black shoes, too. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Sure, I agree that if you just use a capo because you can't transpose keys or play bar chords, you suck. But the voicings on open chords with a capo sound totally different from the voicings in bar chords, and if you really like those voicings you would be a dumbass not to use a capo just so you can appear cool.

--Lee

Capo a "no-no"? No way!

A capo works especially well on baritone and 12-string guitars for bringing out different sounds. There's alot to be said for ringing open strings, and when you can play a chord in a different position to get a unique sound for a song, all the better. There was a article with John Jorgenson in GP a few months back about how he uses baritones (tuned to A) and capos to generate different sounds for recording.

KJ

-------------------

"50 million Elvis Presley fans can't be all wrong" - John Prine

Originally posted by DC:

So bottom line; capo = cool on rhythm, unnecessary on lead.

albert collins would be stunned to hear that (well he'd probably be stunned to hear anything since he's dead...but).... he played all that great shit with a capo on the 7th fret and the telecaster tuned to F#m!

-d. gauss

Sir,your comments about the "Biologically Challenged" guitarist Albert Collins were shocking,in very bad taste and above all......funny as hell http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I remember years ago,as a young nipper I saw my first electric guitar,it was my friend's,older brother's he proudly opened the case and showed me said axe, a strat copy, a Rapier, if i remember correctly,then showed me a capo,but we both didn't know what the hell it was for!But he insisted that when placed round the neck of the guitar... made it sound like a ..BANJO!

And to this day,well obviously not THIS day some time after it,what the hell were we talking about again?

Travis,they make good use of the capo ...Phew!

Hugo.

Ya, I have an original song I`d like to record. it`s played in open first position but then it transposes up a tone-I`ve tried playing it barred but I know it would sound a HELL of a lot better capo`d (I have a Kyser too).

It`s not just about playing ability-It`s a folkie kinda thing and that open sound is what makes it. Still, if I could do it without the capo I would-how am I gonna play it live?

Originally posted by skip:

Still, if I could do it without the capo I would-how am I gonna play it live?

I had the same question. For some songs, it's better with open chords. I found a capo (I forget the manufacturer but it's named for the guy who invented it?)... and it "rolls" along the neck. You reach up and pull it to the next fret position. I haven't quite got it down yet, playing solo, but I don't think it would be that hard to get the hang of it. It's pretty snug. If you want the manufacturer, I'll dig it up. They do have a web site. You might find it in a search. About $25.

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

I had the same question. For some songs, it's better with open chords. I found a capo (I forget the manufacturer but it's named for the guy who invented it?)... and it "rolls" along the neck. You reach up and pull it to the next fret position. I haven't quite got it down yet, playing solo, but I don't think it would be that hard to get the hang of it. It's pretty snug.

If you want the manufacturer, I'll dig it up. They do have a web site. You might find it in a search. About $25.

Originally posted by strat0124:

For slide its cool. I'll tune to D and capo for a song in E...you get the picture.

Gives another idea...how 'bout a capo that goes UNDER the strings, like a second nut...that you could raise up a bit for slide...kinda like a Dobro nut. Probably be a tuning nightmare, though...

Originally posted by skip:

This sucks-I had the hang of grabbing the quote I want and then I forgot how to do it...

Anyway, much obliged there, Livemusic. Don`t go too far out about it but if you can find the name I`ll do the rest.

Quoting... only thing I know to do is hit the "Reply With Quote" button, which quotes all of the post... and then delete what you don't want to quote. But you have to leave the quote tags in there.

The capo is... www.glidercapo.com . Your music store might have it.

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

The capo you guys want is the Roller capo. I know Mars sells it, among others.

James Taylor even moves his capo up, twice, on Your Smiling Face, so he can play the same voicings for each modulation. Impossible, otherwise. I've yet to see anyone honestly and accurately call JT's guitar chops inadequate or wimpy.

Capos are a tool, but those of you who think someone is uncool for utilizing a capo rather than use barre chords have greatly oversimplified the point. That is, if you like a voicing and need another key, use the capo. I don't care if they use it for every song, to play open chords. That doesn't make them bad guitarists. Just ones with simple technique. Big freakin' deal!

There are more guitarists with poor technique, simple or complex, who don't use a capo, than there are using a capo. A capo is a tool akin to a cart. In live production the truest words to live by are, "If it has wheels, roll it. If it doesn't have wheels, get a cart to roll it on." With few exceptions, this is the best advice, to save your body. Using a capo and playing simply, but well, is far better, cooler IMO, than poorly playing difficult arrangements.

------------------

Neil

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I brought up the capo discussion, because I recently saw a "big name act" using them. The guys were very good guitarists, and it got me thinking, because I've always seen capos used by "singer/songwriter who can strum a few chords" types. It was an eye opener to see better musicians using them. Apparently, capos get kudos from this crowd as well.

On the other hand, many players never use a capo. Why? Getting back to my original question, is there a stigma attached to capo use? I've never seen Alex Lifeson, Steve Howe, Al DiMeola, Carlos Santana, Joe Satriani, Steve Morse, etc. use one. These guys are good, but their hands are no more capable of playing impossible voicings that anyone else's. Why do some players choose to stay away from capos altogether?

On the other hand, many players never use a capo. Why? Getting back to my original question, is there a stigma attached to capo use? I've never seen Alex Lifeson, Steve Howe, Al DiMeola, Carlos Santana, Joe Satriani, Steve Morse, etc. use one. These guys are good, but their hands are no more capable of playing impossible voicings that anyone else's. Why do some players choose to stay away from capos altogether?[/b]

Ego. Simple as that.

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Actually, I don't think great players who don't capo ever considered using one. Why? They write their music in E, G, C, etc. that favor standard tuning. When that's not the case, they simply voice chords in a different way. I don't think it's an aversion to the capo so much as being satisfied playing chord forms without it. If it makes them happy, more power to 'em, and vice-versa.

------------------

Neil

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I don't know why I never used one. Sat in with a fellow writer who did everything with a capo.It opened up another world of sounds. I don't care how they(sounds) are formed, if they catch my curiousity and spark some creativity!

R

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

On the other hand, many players never use a capo. Why? Getting back to my original question, is there a stigma attached to capo use? I've never seen Alex Lifeson, Steve Howe, Al DiMeola, Carlos Santana, Joe Satriani, Steve Morse, etc. use one.

Well, like Duke said, ego may well have something to do with it. But also, all the players you mention above seem to focus more on single and maybe double-note lead playing than open-chord stuff. Most of what they play, in other words, could easily be transposed to any key without affecting the voicings. Also some of those guys are mostly instrumental so they can write in whatever key sounds best to them, without worrying whether a singer can deal with it.

Incidentally I HAVE seen Pete Townshend use a capo, and if he doesn't, he will often tune to an alternate tuning or just play the song in a different key. For example he played the "Underture" from Tommy with the guitar tuned down a whole step, so he played open chords in D but the tune is actually in C. But when they performed it live he just didn't tune down and played it in D. Also I think the main reason Pete doesn't like to use a capo is because he loves heavy strings and high action to get that heavy rhythm sound, and a capo lowers the action.

I love the voicings that Keith Richards gets with open tunings and/or a capo. "Tumbling Dice", "Jumpin' Jack Flash", "Street Fightin' Man" - key of B, open G tuning w/capo on the 4th fret - sweeeeet! Play it on a Tele and it just rings for days. And all those chunky riffs on "Midnight Rambler" - standard tuning, capo on the 7th fret, badass!

--Lee

Archived