Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any real blues players around here?

GuitarMan

"The Blues is what separates the men from the morons."-James Harmon.

Sweaty alcoholic blooze rock players need not respond.

If you cover a few blues tunes a night you need not respond.

If Eric Clapton is your life you need not respond.

If "BB King" is your knee jerk response to the blues... do not respond.

It's ok if you don't have a '59 Strat.

It's ok if you flesh out your reperatoir with some swing, rockablilly or

surf.

But if you cover "Black Magic Woman" you better have the balls to play it

more like Peter Green than Carlos.

Any real men(or women) out there?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real Bluesmen??? Aren't they all dead, or near dead? I've been fortunate to have known a few real ones and it doesn't have anything to do with fame, recognition, or brand name instruments.

I'd have to say seeing and hearing is believing, though many of us play the blues in one form or another, I'd say its a far stretch for someone to claim bluesman, especially on the internet! : ) But its what I aspire to be.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by strat0124:

Real Bluesmen??? Aren't they all dead, or near dead? I've been fortunate to have known a few real ones and it doesn't have anything to do with fame, recognition, or brand name instruments.

I'd have to say seeing and hearing is believing, though many of us play the blues in one form or another, I'd say its a far stretch for someone to claim bluesman, especially on the internet! : ) But its what I aspire to be.

Yea right! as in "Here's a blues I got of a dusty ol' CD ROM"!

But more to the point... and to your critisism that the "The Blues" and the internet are mutually exclusive... I disagree, also I'm not "claiming"

anything, 'cause you is what you is and you ain't what you ain't... and I

know exactly what I am.

You say "their mostly all dead"... I take this to mean that you believe only the first generation is legit? Wrong answer but thanks for playing!

Pat Martino said that of the people that come to him... "some aspire to be

guitar players and some just are... and this has nothing to to with knowlege or skill level... only that some people spend their whole life trying to become a guitar player and never get there, regardless of the skill level they achieve, and others just start right off really PLAYING the guitar, again, ... no relation to skill level.

For me, it's not a question of apiration and it ain't a decision you make or something you choose... IT CHOOSES YOU!

This message has been edited by GuitarMan on 10-04-2001 at 03:04 PM

Originally posted by GuitarMan:

Yea right! as in "Here's a blues I got of a dusty ol' CD ROM"!

But more to the point... and to your critisism that the "The Blues" and the internet are mutually exclusive... I disagree, also I'm not "claiming"

anything, 'cause you is what you is and you ain't what you ain't... and I

know exactly what I am.

You say "their mostly all dead"... I take this to mean that you believe only the first generation is legit? Wrong answer but thanks for playing!

Pat Martino said that of the people that come to him... "some aspire to be

guitar players and some just are... and this has nothing to to with knowlege or skill level... only that some people spend their whole life trying to become a guitar player and never get there, regardless of the skill level they achieve, and others just start right off really PLAYING the guitar, again, ... no relation to skill level.

For me, it's not a question of apiration and it ain't a decision you make or something you choose... IT CHOOSES YOU!

This message has been edited by GuitarMan on 10-04-2001 at 03:04 PM

I didn't mean to imply anything, or any critisism toward you....just making a general statement....and I totally agree with you, it does choose you.....and you can damn sure tell the ones who actually choose it on their own! Notice the smiley thing....it was said half in jest.....and all due respect, but I wasn't the one drawing lines in the sand about what a real bluesman is or isn't. In that you love the blues is damn sure cool wit me, I was just brought up in the part of the country where it all started, and we acknowledge who the masters are and all the white guys copy from without apology. Just admiration and constant study for what we love.

This message has been edited by strat0124 on 10-04-2001 at 04:20 PM

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

don't know if i agree the statement, but james harmon is a bad mother (hollywood fats, kid ramos included)

well i perspire rather than sweat, probably drink too much, and i don't know what you call what i play.

no "mojo workin" from me, no "rockin me baby", no "stormy monday." i write a good chunk of our tunes and the covers we do aren't well known by most folks i.e. dr. ross, jimmy liggins.

never cared for clapton. give me gatemouth brown anyday! also, i always liked jimmie vaughan a more than stevie

nothing wrong with BB. though i like things a little more raw, i.e. howlin' wolf or lightning hopkins.

Thank goodness. i got my main guitar, an es-335 jap copy on the street for 10 bucks. http://members.aol.com/vdking/duck128.gif

surf.

lots of swing feels (wouldn't really call it swing), psuedo rockabilly, no surf, some cowpoke type stuff.

But if you cover "Black Magic Woman" you better have the balls to play

it more like Peter Green than Carlos.

wouldn't even think of doing that tune. if i did it, it would end up sounding more like shecky green!

not sure about that either. i just do what i do. and having said that, even though i regularly play in a lot of blues clubs here in the new york city area i wouldn't dare call myself a bluesman. not this skinny white boy who grew up playing punk rock years ago! to me, hound dog taylor was a blueman, gatemouth brown is a bluesman. i'm just an avid fan of true american roots music who also happens to play the type of music i love.

more about my band here for anyone who cares at http://www.betteroffdead.com

peace

-d. gauss

Holy shit d gauss, that is some kick ass stuff you got there! I'd love to see you guys! That rocks!

Not like this has anything at all to do with the blues, but have you ever seen the Woggles? They are a band out of here that I get the feeling you'd like.

As for the original question... uh, I've never considered the question of whether I'm a "real" blues player or not. I CAN play real blues, I mean, I can do Elmore James and Jimmy Reed and John Lee Hooker, but that's not what my band plays, so ummm... whatever.

I do agree that most of what passes for blues isn't even close, though.

--Lee

i used to be a stone bluesman-i got and learned some of the most obscure records ever made...THEN i realized somethin after about 15 years:i just didnt want to play other people's notes,lyrics,sounds.etc.-no matter how much i put into it,it just wasnt me. i think i had put it on such a high pedestal that no matter what i did had no effect on the music.

john lee hooker once told me:"blues ain nothin but a good man feelin bad"

THAT was a load off my mind.

i'm much happier now...and no ritalin!!!

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Holy shit d gauss, that is some kick ass stuff you got there! I'd love to see you guys! That rocks!

Not like this has anything at all to do with the blues, but have you ever seen the Woggles

--Lee

thanks for the kind words lee. yeah, i've only heard, but not seen the woggles, but i like 'em. they be a lean mean garage machine.

-d. gauss

Originally posted by stanner:

i used to be a stone bluesman-i got and learned some of the most obscure records ever made...THEN i realized somethin after about 15 years:i just didnt want to play other people's notes,lyrics,sounds.etc.-no matter how much i put into it,it just wasnt me. i think i had put it on such a high pedestal that no matter what i did had no effect on the music.

john lee hooker once told me:"blues ain nothin but a good man feelin bad"

THAT was a load off my mind.

i'm much happier now...and no ritalin!!!

Not it man, sorry, but even on blues covers it's all about interpretation

not regurgitation... it is frequently nice to hear some respect for the masters inside the playing... and it's better to know the rules before breaking them but the blues ain't no damn museum and I don't go to see a band be a human jukebox... ultimately the blues is improvisational music and if your just parroting you're not improvising....

What keeps the blues alive, and keeps me comin' back, is to see what somebody else is doin' with it.

If you want exact copies of cover tunes, stick with pop music and play in

a top forty cover band...their fans dig the human juke box thing!(pays better too!)

This message has been edited by GuitarMan on 10-04-2001 at 06:58 PM

This message has been edited by GuitarMan on 10-04-2001 at 07:58 PM

This message has been edited by GuitarMan on 10-04-2001 at 07:59 PM

Let me clarify myself a little bit.

Really, by saying "real blues players" I mean mainly somebody who plays more blues than anything else. I'm really looking to see how many blues hounds there are around here since this site is predominantly recording and tech oriented.

A lot of lounge acts play a blues tune or two. Does this mean I want to jam with these cats?...well, maybe a one night stand but I don't want them stoppin' by my crib.

Every shred head alive thinks that shreddin' over 12 bars is playin the blues... not for me it ain't.

There was some kind of blues tribute album put out a few years back... and Guitar Player Mag reviewed it something like..."Former has been stadium rockers attemp blues tunes...not recommended"

Ingvey Malmsteen said-"The Blues...done that." Sheesh!

I'm not a purist(whatever that is) and I ain't with the blues police. If you say you really love the blues, whose gonna doubt you?

But for me the blues is a language with it's own very special vocabulary and like any branch of jazz... the better you know that vocabulary the more steeped and deeper your gonna sound. Just because we're all speakin' English here are we all plagerizing each other?...OF COURSE NOT. this doesn't mean you can't do some quotin' if your in a mood to!

I once read somewhere that improvisational music is the expression of your wit, intellegence, personality etc... through an ordered form.

Whatever it is, it's dynamic and ever changing. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/cool.gif

------------------

http://www.mp3.com/TheBottomFeeders

Originally posted by d gauss:

thanks for the kind words lee. yeah, i've only heard, but not seen the woggles, but i like 'em. they be a lean mean garage machine.

Actually if you go to http://www.dcn.com and search for "Woggles" there are several live videos of them. If you check out the one from March 9 it's in Hoboken NJ, and the bass player in my band is playing bass with them, he fills in sometimes when their regular bass player can't tour. They put on an amazing live show, totally nuts.

But anyway I'm gonna buy one of your CD's, if I ever get any money for CD's! LOL... you guys seriously rock.

--Lee

Let me clarify myself a little bit.

Really, by saying "real blues players" I mean mainly somebody who plays more blues than anything else. I'm really looking to see how many blues hounds there are around here since this site is predominantly recording and tech oriented.

A lot of lounge acts play a blues tune or two. Does this mean I want to jam with these cats?...well, maybe a one night stand but I don't want them stoppin' by my crib.

Every shred head alive thinks that shreddin' over 12 bars is playin the blues... not for me it ain't.

There was some kind of blues tribute album put out a few years back... and Guitar Player Mag reviewed it something like..."Former has been stadium rockers attemp blues tunes...not recommended"

Ingvey Malmsteen said-"The Blues...done that." Sheesh!

I'm not a purist(whatever that is) and I ain't with the blues police. If you say you really love the blues, whose gonna doubt you?

But for me the blues is a language with it's own very special vocabulary and like any branch of jazz... the better you know that vocabulary the more steeped and deeper your gonna sound. Just because we're all speakin' English here are we all plagerizing each other?...OF COURSE NOT. this doesn't mean you can't do some quotin' if your in a mood to!

I once read somewhere that improvisational music is the expression of your wit, intellegence, personality etc... through an ordered form.

Whatever it is, it's dynamic and ever changing. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/cool.gif

I live in the Kansas City area. I love the blues. I'd kinda like to think I can stretch a few strings, if I do say so myself. Luther Allison I'm not, but...what the hey. I'm a white boy with an okay day job.

Kansas City is home to two main styles of music, blues and jazz. Which means there are a lot of blues snobs and a lot of jazz snobs here. I somehow, even though I love the blues, have little tolerance for those types. Don't get me wrong. I have little tolerance for the lounge bands who play "Stormy Monday" and think they're blues legends, too. But, being Kansas City is what it is...the market is glutted with blues bands. A lot of 'em have a hard time booking, because the market is so glutted. So, I don't have a blues band. We don't really do any blues at all, not that I wouldn't like to, but that's not where my band fits. But that doesn't mean I don't love the blues. When I want to get my blooze on, I go to Blayney's on jam night. To me, that's more real than having my own blues band.

I'm not sure that this particular forum is recording and tech oriented. This one is guitar oriented...which means you've got all types on here. But most people are here because they take the guitar somewhat seriously...a couple of cuts north of the standard "lounge act".

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

If you check out the one from March 9 it's in Hoboken NJ, and the bass player in my band is playing bass with them, he fills in sometimes when their regular bass player can't tour.

But anyway I'm gonna buy one of your CD's, if I ever get any money for CD's! LOL... you guys seriously rock.

--Lee

that would be at maxwell's just down the road from me. a friend of mine is part owner and his partner i believe owns one of the labels that the woggles are on (telstar).

as for cd's, jeez, i'm not gettin' rich on these things as it is, email me through my website and i'll just send ya one. we'll chalk it up to the "georgia connection"....

cheers,

-d. gauss

Yeah, but for every one of those guys there's 3 guys copping SRV licks (badly) note-per note over a 12 bar. Or playing note-per note renditions of "classic" blues tunes. Or better yet, copping SRV licks over copped SRV songs note per note.

You're not playing blues if you're not stepping out on a limb some. It's been a while since I've heard someone doing that.

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Remember that hilarious thing that was going around on the web a bit ago...like,

Blues death...shot by angry wife being discovered with another woman

Not a blues death...committing suicide in your 4 car garage by leaving your BMW running.

Or something to that effect...The bit about a blues name being (infirmity) (name of fruit) (President's last name) so you had like "Cripple Kiwi Buchanan" or something?

Makes you wonder. Can one really play the real blues (or is one a poser) if one...

Lives anywhere other than the deep south or Chicago?

Is under 55?

Has a decent day job?

Has ever traveled by airplane?

Has an amp that is newer than 1958?

Drinks anything costing more than 5 dollars a bottle?

The list goes on and on...

surf.

But if you cover "Black Magic Woman" you better have the balls to play it

more like Peter Green than Carlos.

If You Don't DIG The BLUES " YOU GOTTA HOLE IN YOUR SOUL "

The Frog

Originally posted by Tedster:

The bit about a blues name being (infirmity) (name of fruit) (President's last name) so you had like "Cripple Kiwi Buchanan" or something?

LOL, that one made my morning! thanks.

-d. gauss

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

You're not playing blues if you're not stepping out on a limb some. It's been a while since I've heard someone doing that.

Jeff Beck's latest CD's have each included some inspiring blues!

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

You're not playing blues if you're not stepping out on a limb some.

Cool... some actual consensus is nice... I like it ... And I believe Chip nailed something fundamental there that most blues lovers can get behind.

Yeah, but for every one of those guys there's 3 guys copping SRV licks (badly) note-per note over a 12 bar. Or playing note-per note renditions of "classic" blues tunes. Or better yet, copping SRV licks over copped SRV songs note per note.

I myself was not an SRV fan originally... eventually he won me over because

of his great heart and soul, but I can't abide the imitators and I can only assume they have tiny genitals.

But... as I said... for me the blues I love the most has a language, vocabulary or whatever you want to call it.(it has many dialects) so generally someone who hasn't cared enough to listen enough to at least aquire an accent... well their blues usually doesn't appeal to me.

So anyway, on the SRV thing... If you were to say quote Albert King...actually you don't even have to quote Albert...just speak in his dialect and some well meaning piker is likely to complement you on your SRV licks(God help you if your playin' a Strat). It's because of this very thing that I've been going through Strat withdrawal over the last year or so (harder than quittin' the smokes).

Originally posted by lrbreez:

<<< The blues is what separates men from the Mormons? >>>

Blues is the only thing and all I play, and BTW I'm a Mormon.

Buddy

SEE! I told you!!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Archived