Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite OD/Distortion Pedal

trick fall

I was thinking about it the other day and realized that out of the twenty or so pedals I've ever owned all, but two were either distorion or over drive pedals. This got me wondering what are you guys favorites? I'm actually thinking of picking up a Crowther Hotcake. Anyone dig these?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The info about the Crowther Hotcake looks very appealing. I was looking at Harmony Central's review and the Melmusic website where they sell them. Hey if you get one please let us know how it sounds. I have an original Ibanez TS-808 Tube Screamer by the way which I have always liked since I bought it about twenty years ago. I recently replaced all the electrolytic caps because it was starting to sound a little thin and now it's screaming nicely again.

------------------

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

My Music: www.javamusic.com/freedomland

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

I don't use pedals anymore, but I've used plenty in the past! The only ones I ever really liked were the TS-808, MXR Distortion+, and the first version of the Marshall Guv'nor. Actually, I still have one of the old Guv'nors hanging around... it makes an occassional cameo appearance on recordings, and over the years a lot of my friends have borrowed it when they were heading for the studio.

Oh yeah... one guy I used to know used a Fat Cat. I wouldn't say it's one of my favorites, but it did have a cool unique sound. If I saw one cheap, I'd probably pick it up just to have it around.

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

I've had a distortion pedal (Boss DS-1) for ages but hardly ever use it, just once in a great while if I want a crappy sound for something. The only thing I've found that works is a Cream Machine. It's kinda big for a pedal, but I've used it for overdrive with good results. 99% of the time it's BOOGIE!

I have an old MXR Distortion Plus from the 70's and I like it. My new favorite is the Vox Tone Bender which is a very nasty fuzz box.

Otherwise I'd rather just crank up the tube amp. I don't need no stinkin' pedals! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

--Lee

Chip, I never heard of that Landgraaf Dynamic do tell more.

Lee, I love the sound of my Deluxe R.I. cranked, but I'm in a punk band so I need a little more than that. Sheesh and if I used my Marshall without a pedal it would have to be at lethal volume!

BTW, I've been rotating btwn a Dano Daddy Oh, Vox, and an old DOD OD/Preamp. The DOD is my favorite, but I'd like to find something a litle bit warmer to push that Deluxe in all the right ways.

My current favorite is the Line6 distortion modeler. There's a lot of options and the models can occasionally produce sounds not found on the originals...

I mainly use the Line6 Overdrive, the Tube Screamer, Octive-Fuzz, and Clean Boost. Like most things Line6 makes, I'm not as concerned with whether these exactly emulate the originals... just that they sound good. Full Bypass.

I also have a FullTone FullDrive 2 that is very nice. Warm, Big sound, with two "channels" and full bypass.

Both of these are in the $200+ range, but I have enjoyed some low cost overdrive as well.

One of the most popular and widely used (even in pro rigs), is the BOSS DS-1. I think the street price is under $40.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Boss SD-1 for a good boost for solos, also has a nice vox chime when used in conjunction with a cranked tube amp. For all out Sabbath, I've got an original Big Muff Pi....sustain for days.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I've gotten a LOT of use out of an Ibanez Tube Screamer. I hope to get an MXR Distortion + soon. Yeah, it seems like my Marshall would do exactly that sound without a pedal, but it'd have to be turned up to annihilation volume, and that just isn't gonna happen without repercussions from club owners, fellow band members, and people who want to hang onto their hearing. I always use earplugs, so the temptation is still there...

Originally posted by trickfall@yahoo.com:

Chip, I never heard of that Landgraaf Dynamic do tell more.

The best pedal I've heard. Turns a Deluxe into a Marshall - no trace of Fenderish-ness, and the feel is very supple, nice and chunky... Flip a switch and it does a sort of Dumble thing. Has other accouterments, but primarily it lets a Deluxe do double duty, which is a supremely cool thing, and it sounds killer doing it. Very detailed and very smooth but still bites if you dig in.

PROBLEM:

it's $300....

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

i use the "wank-o-tronic double super fuzz putz". makes a dumble sound like a crate. makes a tweed bassman sound like a wet fart. you need one!

-d. gauss

This message has been edited by d gauss on 10-02-2001 at 02:19 AM

When I used one it was the Colorsound Overdriver by Sola Sound (England). Used to sound bitchin' through my Marshall plexi. Rumoured to have been a favorite of Jeff Beck. The probable reason no one has mentioned it is because they are extremely rare and very expensive when you do find one. I believe Fulltone has ressurected it but I don't know their name for it offhand.

My favorites are still the Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive, MXR Distortion + and Ibanez Tube Screamer that I've had for years. Those all seem to work out pretty well with just about any amp. The Fulltone Fulldrive is a nice one, too. Over the years, I've tried out so many stompboxes and I've found others that I like, but I always seem to go back to the basic ones.

Some of you have asked about the Crowther Hotcake. I have one of those and like it a lot, too. I'll have to find the contact info for you and will post it later.

Originally posted by d gauss:

i use the "wank-o-tronic double super fuzz putz". makes a dumble sound like a crate. makes a tweed bassman sound like a wet fart. you need one!

-d. gauss

*Who* needs one?

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

my fuzzfactory and my original big muff....rich and creamy with just enough bite http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

my first edition rat is pretty good for some things to.

~o¤°§þÅ¢£ ߪ$§°¤o~

This message has been edited by spacebass on 10-02-2001 at 11:03 PM

My Marshall 50 watt Plexi. Does it all by itself. If I need another shade or to get a good hot sound at a lower volume. Tube Screamer. Currently I'm getting great results with a VooDoo Labs SparkleDrive. Basically a vintage TubeScreamer chip with better quality parts (resistors etc.) from what I understand. Has a nob to bring up the clean sound in the middle so you can get a little more definition in the sound. It doesn't seem to be as hot as the TubeScreamer but I think thats a good thing; never needed that much gain anyway.

I've got to say setting your amp to being hot and learning to use your volume control on your guitar to go from clean to mean seems to work for a lot of the pros I know. Volume knob seems to be under utilized by a lot of players. Just learn how to not hit the volume knob by accident. oops. $@#%

Originally posted by trickfall@yahoo.com:

I was thinking about it the other day and realized that out of the twenty or so pedals I've ever owned all, but two were either distorion or over drive pedals. This got me wondering what are you guys favorites? I'm actually thinking of picking up a Crowther Hotcake. Anyone dig these?

I Like effect's, pedal's, and other assorted TRICK's for getting a different flavor in my mix, I have enough amp's to change out every day of the month, but it's more fun messing with 1 or 2 of them with pedal's and getting your own sound, I have a list of Fav's,

1. The DeArmond square wave

2. the TS-808

3. TS 10

4. TS 9

5. Stamp's Driv o matic

6. Wylie Sp. fuzz pedal

and they are all neat in thier own way's, Have fun, the Skies the limit.

The Frog

Archived