Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

is there a way to stop the hum of an amp from getting on tape?

selloutrr

I was hoping someone could let me in on a seceret to getting the hum out of the amp so it won't go to tape. the amp's very and the guitars very but for the most part they all hum in 60K ~ do those hum boxes work? i hate to cut 60K cause it takes a lot out of the natural warmth of the amp. I'm tired of ruined guitar trakes that could have been gold i need to get this fixed.... please help

thanks~

mark

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very common problem. Circuitry can be the culprit...plug your amp into a different outlet. Fluorescent lights are a notorious culprit. Sometimes the ground on your guitar can cause it...or just the pickup. If I use the back pickup or the neck pickup on my Strat I get it, but not in positions 2 or 4.

Odd thing...this hum is said to be 60 Hz, as that's the frequency of household current, but isn't 60 Hz in like the way low spectrum? I mean, you have low cut or rumble filters on some boards that cut everything out below 70 Hz...and the hum sounds higher than that. Was ist los? Never thought about it much 'til now.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Actually it's not that noticeable when you're crankin balls to the walls, but silent passages may give you the willies. Noise gate the thing, or just do the ole fader ride like some of us are STILL used to doing. If you've got a killer hum that is way too obtrusive, I'd say you have either a ground problem, or you may get noise from lighting and/or a computer monitor. Running too many draws off of one leg might be another culprit. I specifically wired my room to eliminate that sort of thing. Gimme a shout if you've exhausted all means.

Gene

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Here are a few ideas (each one has a price in tone or $ but at least we can discuss options)

IMHO, gates suck, a hush is slightly better however it ads a little "thwwpt" like sound to the attack. The only Hushes I will use are the older Hush II B standalones, all the Rocktrons that slice, dice and make julienne fries + hush have a lesser hush circuit. (only an opinion)

Replace the computer monitor with an LCD monitor (I did it when these puppies were 3x the price and I have no regrets)

Shield the pick up cavity along with any other guitar cavity that is unsheilded (LP PU selector area, Strat input jack etc.) If you have a vintage guitar, think twice

Replace all SCR dimmers with Variacs... Or use less lights without attentuation.

Try less gain, the recorded and mixed result may be even heavier as a result.

Use a footprint based digital noise reduction system. I use Spark XL and saved some horrendous tracks with their denoiser.

Use a manual gating technique such as the pinky on the volume knob, mixer automation or DAW automation. It may be more transparent to simulate single ended noise reduction by cloning the track, applying selective EQ and volume reduction or fades and morphing the 2 tracks with graphical automation (such as Hyper draw in Logic)

If the hum is the idle amp noise, turn it up to get a better s/n ratio. Also a different mic placement may alter the negative effects of hum

"If you can't get rid of it, make it groove" From Victor Wooten's cd "What did He Say" ... a great track, great advice and a very creative use of amp hum samples

Andy

Play Acoustic... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Originally posted by Tedster:

...Odd thing...this hum is said to be 60 Hz, as that's the frequency of household current, but isn't 60 Hz in like the way low spectrum? I mean, you have low cut or rumble filters on some boards that cut everything out below 70 Hz...and the hum sounds higher than that. Was ist los? Never thought about it much 'til now...

Most of the hum we hear from 60cycle hum is harmonics of the fundamental...

Such is electricity! Some good advice from previous folks.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived