Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do touring acts do Sun-Wed?

LiveMusic

Almost every show/concert I go to (touring acts), it's Thursday, Friday or Saturday. Well, heck, what are these people doing Sunday through Wednesday... or is it just an anamoly here that we get only Thurs-Sat shows?

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, as far as national acts at larger venues, they do have shows on every day of the week. However, for independent acts doing smaller club tours, this is a question that is getting harder to answer. Many clubs now are discovering that they can't get people to go out and hear live music on weeknights the past couple of years. So often they've quit having bands because they know they won't be able to pay them. They're often coming up with other stuff to do on weeknights: karaoke or trivia contest nights, movie nights, dance nights, etc.

This really sucks if you're trying to put a tour together because it means you may not have a gig for days, which is obviously not cost effective when touring!

One of the many reasons I moved from the west coast to the east is that cities are much closer together here. It is entirely possible to build a regional following by gigging Thursday thru Saturday out of town and then drive home Sunday and do the same thing again the following week. There are lots of cities within a day's drive of nearly any eastern metro area. So for example, from here in Atlanta one weekend a band could do Nashville-Memphis-St. Louis, another weekend Asheville-Raleigh/Durham-Charleston, another Daytona-West Palm Beach-Miami, another Birmingham-Mobile-New Orleans... etc.

I think that's the way our band is going to work things anyway because we all have lives and don't want to spend long periods of time on the road, and these days as we have both mentioned, it's becoming pretty impractical to do that anyway.

--Lee

The national acts I've worked for hit the fair circuit pretty hard during the summer. I haven't had the pleasure of working with bands carrying their own production except as local crew. Still, it's obvious they are playing every other day or so. So to answer your question, bands do play every day of the week, somewhere.

As Lee said (very well I might add), People seem to ignore live music, on the local side, Mon. - Wed., if not Thurs. When I was house mixer at a small, but well known bar in Nashville, I worked Mon. - Wed. My fee for the 4 1/2 hours was only $50, but more than half the Monday and Tuesday acts paid it out of their own pocket. That pretty well sums up my experience of Nashville, outside of the tourist traps on lower Broad that get a lot of foot traffic.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Ted, I am trying to play regularly outside of my golfoholism. Starting to feel some pressure to get something put together for my self-imposed "professional debut" in November. I have lots of questions to ask you guys.

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

They're stored in specially built SKB cases to protect them from shipping and handling damage (kinda like your guitar case). They're cleaned before they are put away, and when removed for next performance, they are polished, buffed, and have their wigs put back in place (if they returned from the cleaners in time).

Psalm 33:3

The best instrument you have, is your heart.

Practicing dance steps???????

I imagine the "heads" do alot of promo, and the sidemen sleep whenever possible.

Lee, you could spend a month doing the Triangle alone.....and it pays pretty good, probably the best of the southern east coast.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Archived