Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's your favorite pick?

michael saulnier

I prefer Fender Heavies in the popular unequal triangle shape...

I'm especially partial to the white with gold lettering. Not because it plays different, just 'cause I like the looks.

I typically play with the tip, but once in a while use the side like SRV did...

Anyone have a unique pick type they use?

What about "custom" picks? Anyone have ones with "your name" on them? If so, where'd you get them and how much are they and how many do you have to order?

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like plain old Fender Medium tortoiseshell.

Although sometimes I have gotten the psychedelic multicolored Fender medium's cuz they're easier to find if you drop them onstage. It's almost impossible to find the tortoiseshell ones when you drop those, but I can't give them up cuz they just speak to me somehow. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif And anyway, the drummer I play with is so damned attentive that he will generally find them later and give them back to me!

--Lee

Since I don't generally lose picks, I have favorite individual examples I've been using for years.

More recently, the Lillian pick, made from an old HMO ID card with my daughter's name in raised letters. The raised lettering makes an EXCELLENT non slip surface. Here are some credit card picks, including the Lillian, and a few oddities as well.

http://members.aol.com/neilbergmn/gp

I also use Pickboy Metacarbonite picks. I have no idea what Metacarbonite is, but they slide off the strings like they were coated with Teflon. Don't slip out of my hands, though.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I use Fender Medium tortoiseshell "homeplate" picks. They are called "homeplate" because they are shaped like the homeplate on a baseball field (also like the school crossing signs). I always have to order them by the 1/2 gross because I haven't seen them at stores. Here's the Fender catalog number if anyone is interested: No. 33O HP MEDIUM SHELL (O98-O33O-3OO). They were an old '3Os design.

I had picked one up at a NAMM show many years ago and it sat in my junk drawer. One day I was going through the drawer and saw it. I tried it for the heck of it and fell in love with it immediately.

Buddy

I mostly use the regular Fender heavies (351's I think). I usually buy them by the gross cos I tend to lose em and don't like to buy them often. Always get White or Baby Blue cos they're easier to find if you drop em.

Also keep some medium and thins around cos they work well with Acoustic strumming sometimes.

Pick 3 on the Missouri State Lotto. Oh..GUITAR pick. I tend to like Dunlop nylons with the little grip thing. The dark grey ones. Another cool thing about those is that you can get the benefits of a heavier guage, and still seem to preserve the bright tones...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I like the Dunlop Tortex .060's (I think, the yellow ones). I used to use Fender mediums when I just played acoustic, but after I took lessons and started playing electric I had to switch to the Dunlops. I'll just DESTROY a Fender pick in a heartbeat. I sat in with a Blues band about a month ago and the guitar player handed me a Fender pick, I played one song and handed him back about a half a Fender pick http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif I warned him!!!

Plus anymore I won't play someone else's axe if they don't have at least .010's on it or I'll break the high E for sure. I'm kinda heavy handed with my picking hand but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I also like the slightly sticky coating a new Tortex pick has on it, I go through several in a night out gigging though. That slightly tacky surface doesn't last too long but it sure does help.

There is not, nor ought there be, any finer pick than.....that's right!... the Fender Medium Tortoiseshell (teardrop, I believe, is the correct shape description). Well, I've tried 'em all and this is the only one that consistently did it for me right from my start(in the '60's..shhhhhh!...) up 'til now. The new gold lettering is starting to grow on me......

• 2 weeks later...

Fender Heavys, usually in the funky colors because they are eaiser to see.

I like the heavy because I can get a really good attack and I can loosen my grip when I need a lighter sound for strumming.

Plus heavys are better for doing pinch harmonics and a few other tricks. (at least for me).

Above all a pick choice is up to the player, what works for some may be really bad for others.

Kev

f

Originally posted by d gauss:

afro picks!

-d. gauss

ROTF, d. Gauss. I used to use the Royal blue one, when I had a shaggy mane.

Here are a few of my celebrity picks. I don't collect 'em per se, but I don't throw them away either!

http://members.aol.com/neilbergmn/picks2

Mr. Vegas, I believe, is/was Sheryl Crow's guitar tech. "A Legend In His Spare Time" is Sammy Bones, formerly guitar tech with Cinderella. Deanna is country artist, Deanna Carter, and the back states, "Did I Shave My Legs For This?", her big album's title. Steve Wariner's is from when I mixed the Capitol Records private party. Steve had his own mixer, but I ended up mixing when he sat in with Keith Urban. All the other celebrity pics are from shows I worked. Anybody have some interesting collectables?

------------------

Neil

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Celebrity picks..never even thought about that really. I suppose, aside from some exotic material picks I found recently (see thread on Dugain

picks), the ones I like which are commonly available have carbon fiber and the words `Hi Modulus` on one side, and a picture of a certain leaf of ill repute on the other. Never have figured out why, but I like em-very positive grip and quite responsive without being too thin.

Originally posted by skip:

Celebrity picks..never even thought about that really.

Kinda boring to me. I once was at an Eric Johnson show where I was seated basically quite literally 2 feet in front of him. He's playing a run and his pick flies out of his hand; I almost caught it, dropped it on his pedal board. I knew at this part he had to sing a line next, so I picked it up and handed it to him while he was singing. Thanked me after the show, joked about it. A guy I know got really pissed that I didn't keep it....

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

BTW, my current favorite pick is a PICKBOY that is .75mm; I also like the Fender mediums. But the PICKBOY is so comfortable I'll spend extra time practicing just to use it.
There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

Kinda boring to me.

Yeah, the ones pictured above are all I've received in 7 years of crew work and sound mixing on stage with national artists. I don't go looking for them. All of these were handed to me by techs from the bands.

------------------

Neil

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived