Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's your favorite kind of Guitar Strap?

michael saulnier

Ted mentioned in another thread about a lack of new posts here... Here's a few that could get the "numbers up"... with a tip of the hat to Dave Bryce!

... What is your favorite guitar strap. I like at least 4" wide leather or soft padded material. I throw away Fender straps, and HATE the super thin ones. I usually go for Planet World padded ones.

BTW, when you buy a guitar, do you usually push the guitar store to throw in a strap?

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the regular old 2" nylon straps. Problem is, many of them aren't long enough! (or maybe I'm too tall) I have some ProLine and Ernie Ball straps that are OK if I let them all the way out.

The only straps I've found that have extra length are the Planet Waves with the pad... but I cut that damn pad right off there! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Oh... I forgot to add... Yes, I always try to get the store to throw in some freebies! Most of the people in the stores around here know me... so they'll usually hook me up.

------------------

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

This message has been edited by Scott from MA on 08-26-2001 at 12:25 AM

Scott

Definately the heavy padded leather strap on my main acoustic. It was left at Mars, and after it was abandoned for a month, I commandeered it. After that, I hate putting on any lighter straps.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Lisa:

I have a bunch of old Earth III straps that are great.

I have an old Earth III strap on my bass. It's one where you remove your strap-buttons, and screw a leather piece right to the guitar. Then the strap connects to the leather piece with a plastic clip. It's really quite nice, and it's actually long enough for me! Sadly, I've never found another one. I saw something like it by another company, but the clip looked real flimsy... the one on the Earth III is heavy-duty.

Someone gave me a 2-inch "tweed-looking" cotton strap, which I have on my white Strat. It's real soft and comfortable. It doesn't have a brand name on it, though... so I don't know where to find another.

Scott

On my Strat I have a Wayco neoprene strap (stretchy-like a wet suit). It's the most comfortable strap I've ever used. I really want to get another one for my Les Paul, but do you think I can find one anywhere?

If anyone can point me in the direction of any companies neoprene strap, I'd greatly appreciate it.

greed

I've got one pretty wide (maybe 3" or so) brown leather strap that I use on my electrics ('cause they're heavier)...not padded...but wide. Then I have a 2" brown leather strap that I use on my acoustic. What really puzzles me is why so many people strap on their guitars with the skinny piece over their shoulder. That makes no sense...(look of bewilderment).

The only time I ever really wanted a padded strap is when I sat in at the Fly-By-Night in Anchorage. The band played for like 2 1/2 hours straight before taking a break. I was near crippled after playing my solid body for that long.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I've got strap locks all around on my stuff, it solves the instrument-falling-on-the-floor problems right there - no way I'd go without locks now.

My bass I play low, with the top of the bass waist-high so you've gotta have a long strap. I use this airliner-seatbelt with the metal clasp I got at a junk store. The ends where they bolt it into the plane seat fit the strap lock posts perfectly. It also also feels cool to "buckle on" the bass. Ya know, get suited up & ready to rock with the Action Bass.

My biggest problem has been pulling the screws out of the instrument body, since I play pretty energetically. I've had to put in new screws several times in new holes, but I eventually put in a buncha wood putty and set in a fat screw from the hardware store and that's held for a while now.

The stock screws are garbage, I've broken 'em right off during shows.

For replacing ripped out screws, the following has usually worked well for me. Stuff the hole with toothpicks and Elmer's glue. Break the protruding ends off the toothpicks. Let set. Screw in a new one. Has worked better than putty, at least for me.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Since getting a whiplash I get muscle spasms in my left trap from playing. I just ordered a Slider strap that goes over both shoulders. Ask me in a month and I'll tell you how that works out.

I also favour a wider strap generally and cloth... Les Pauls are bloody heavy and anything to spread the weight on a long gig is way cool by me. If its a pose night I'll use a 2" cloth but hell don't I pay for it after http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Simon

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

Wayco used to make a 3" wide nylon strap with a 10" section that was padded with heavy foam. Wish i could find those again. Because i can't get them anymore, after the foam goes flat, i have to open up the padded section , replace the foam, and sew it up again. Worth it though. A VERY comfortable strap.
Those who can,do. Those who cannot, usually run the monitor mix.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived