Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Diggy Liggy Li-Diggy Liggy Lo an' Alice Blue Gown

Tedster

Yay-heee, y'all, crawdad an' gumbo, an' a big ohn-YOHN t' stir in yo pot o' jambalaya...

I'm back from Cajun-land...mah train jes' got in las' night...took me that long to git th' alligatuh offa mah leg...OUCH...but it's okay by me, if it's okay BAYOU...hahahaha...

Lotta stories to tell. Sheesh, where do I start? Lot goin' on in the Big Easy. EXPENSIVE AS HELL, though. If y'all go down there, take a big pocketful of money. I'm still rocking back and forth from the train trip (anyone who's ever traveled by train or boat will immediately know what I'm talking about).

Heard some decent blues bands. Some pretty good jazz. Went to Preservation Hall. Now, let me tell you...whatever preconceived notions you may have about Preservation Hall...forget 'em. Preservation Hall is not a bar. No tables. A little room that hasn't been touched since maybe 1890. Three benches and some pillows on the floor to sit on. You stand in line for about a half hour to get in. If you're lucky, you get a seat. Otherwise, you stand in the back. No air conditioning...just a couple of fans. HOT, especially when you get 100 people in that little room. Once you're in, you sit for about another 1/2 hour waiting for the band. BUT....

Once the band comes in, the voodoo starts. These old guys...OLD...ANCIENT...pick up instruments that look like they came off the wall in some forgotten museum. Then they start playing and the joint starts jumping. I wasn't blown away by the phenomenal musicianship. But the VIBE....it's like a holy place. No PA. When a vocal comes up, the trumpet player just stood up and sang it. They pass the solos...and then they all go into a simultaneous solo that defines that "dixieland jazz" style.

And then...(Homer voice) I learned how to make a Mint Julep...mmmm.....can you say "face down"?

If you go down there...don't rent a car. Public transportation and your feet will take you wherever you want to go. It's damn near stupid to drive in the French Quarter anyway, 'cause the streets are so narrow and it's packed all the time.

Other stuff we did...mostly usual touristy stuff, was go on a Ghost Tour, Riverboat Dinner Cruise...stuff like that. Some spooky itshay down there.

Well, I got to get some jokes to paste on the other thread.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Scott...

A Ghost Tour...well, New Orleans has the reputation for being "the most haunted" city in the U.S. Now, I don't know whether y'all believe in that kind of stuff or not, but, even if you don't, it makes for fascinating history, not to mention good tales to stir the hairs on the back of peoples' necks the next time you go camping.

The walking tour goes around some of New Orleans' more famous "haunted" residences in the French Quarter. Most of the tour is outside. In one case the tour goes into a tavern reputed to be haunted by the spirit of a young girl...the tavern used to be a mortuary.

Some of the ghosts are of the "common" variety...more like movies of long ago tragedies being endlessly played out. Some are a bit more sinister. But, nonetheless, it was an interesting tour. Didn't see anything out of the ordinary on our tour, anyway...

Welcome Home, Tedster!

Did the Ghost Tour take you through any of the cemeteries? I'm intrigued by the fact they "bury" their dead above ground because of the threat of flooding. Maybe that's why it's so haunted. Not much between a corpse and freedom on the bayou.. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Thanks for the trip-tick on New Orleans. I've only driven through. Wish I could've stopped.

Good to have you back online, though! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Well, actually, I did get to see Lafayette Cemetery #1...not the famous one, but still the old above ground vaults. I walked by St. Louis Cemetery #1...but they had the gate locked so I couldn't go in. St. Louis #1 is the famous one, where supposedly Marie Laveau (the voodoo Queen of New Orleans) is buried. Not sure if they lock the gate to keep people out, or to keep the dead folks in...(nervous laugh)...

Yep, the graves are in stone mausoleum-like structures above ground, for the reason you mentioned.

I saw the Rock 'n Bowl from the Highway (on a tour bus)...it's in Metairie, I believe. Didn't rent a car, so didn't get there. Didn't get to the Funky Butt, either...I don't think, anyway. There were a couple of dozen places in the French Quarter I staggered in and out of, though...so if that place is in the Quarter I mighta been there.

Oh, and d...

Didn't get to the Funky Butt. Musta walked right past it after crossing the street from St. Louis #1...and been p.o.ed that the gate was locked. BTW...looking forward to hearing your Comp CD submission..."Voodoo Doll"...speaking of stuff like that, y'know...

Archived