Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What amp should I upgrade to?

Megattack

Hey all, its nice to find this place of gathering for musicians. Helps a lot when you have questions (and answers) Anyway, I am upgrading my Guitar Amp and was wondering what everyone else plays through/prefers. I have heard good and bad about a lot of amps but when it comes down to the gist of it all, it is Marshall and Mesa Boogie. Now I know that to each his own and you cant really say "Hey this amp is the best, buy it" A person has to judge the sound and versatility for themselves. That being said, what do you guys (that are totally happy with their sound) prefer to play through? I play for a hardcore metal band, so I prefer a lot of crunch without mud. Thanks in Advance.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Mega... welcome!

You will get better suggestions/advice if you let us know what you are upgrading from, and (more importantly) how big you want to go up to. Are you looking for a full-stack, half-stack, combo? If you're not sure what size is right for you... tell us what size venues you're playing, and we can make some power suggestions too.

Oh yeah... give us an idea of your budget too.

This message has been edited by Scott from MA on 08-08-2001 at 04:50 PM

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Well at the moment I am running through a mesa boogie 50/50 tube power amp with a Rocktron Voodoo Valve preamp/processor and I run them into 2 4-12 celestion cabs. So that I have a full stack, I am only looking for a head to go with my cabs because I am happy with the sound I get from them. The price I want to go for is around 700-1000 give or take. The venues I am playing are mostly sm-lrg bars, fairgrounds, etc...nothing too huge.

Try a few different things. It'd be nice if you could try something on the gig and see how it sounded, y'know? Maybe some nice schmoozing could help that...a test drive...and not in the store, either.

A fella I know is using a Randall 100w head through a four 12 cab, and the thing just boogies, so you may not want to just rule something like that out across the board.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Cool, I've heard of Randall amps. Do you know if he was using any external devices: Distortion pedal/Rack , Effects? Im trying to not have to use any pedals and just go with the head, Thats why I am kinda leaning towards the Marshall AVT 150h. Built in effects, acoustic sim, nice crunch. But I'll have to check out a Randall for sure.

I think he was going pretty straight. He got a great deal on his. The thing does cook, and you might be able to get it for less than a Marshall. Check it out, see whatcha think...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Megattack:

Well at the moment I am running through a mesa boogie 50/50 tube power amp with a Rocktron Voodoo Valve preamp/processor and I run them into 2 4-12 celestion cabs.

You could move up to a Boogie Triaxis, which would be "purer" sounding than the Voodoo Valve... But that setup should be plenty loud, and the eq on the Rocktron should let you get whatever you want, if not something unique. Hexum in 311 uses Voodoo Valves I think; is that not heavy enough?

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

hardcore metal? maybe you want a solid state amp. pantera uses solid state randalls, black flag used to use crown PA amps with distortion pedals. solid state can give you that crisp edgey grating sound......

-d. gauss

You probably can get one of the Fender RocPro series really cheap on the used market. And they do Metal pretty good. Putcha a Big Muff Pi in front of it, plug in a baritone and you got what yer lookin for.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by Megattack:

The venues I am playing are mostly sm-lrg bars, fairgrounds, etc...nothing too huge.

You're using a 50/50 full-stack for places that small? I'm glad I'm not your FOH guy... we'd be having words! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Originally posted by Scott from MA:

You're using a 50/50 full-stack for places that small? I'm glad I'm not your FOH guy... we'd be having words! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Too funny.....I totally agree! : )

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

If I had my choice, I would have 4 full stacks on stage at all times http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif Theres just something about having a wall of amps behind you. In the middle of the show you look back and just have to say.."Oh man, that kicks ass" Its funny because I would prefer a wall of amps or nothing at all on stage. Its kinda cool to hit the ground running with an open stage. Depends on the show and my mood I guess :P

Originally posted by Tedster:

Well, in the HYOOGE venues I do, if I had four stacks on the stage, there'd be no room for the drummer or the bass player.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....now ya got me thinkin'....

Yeah...but plenty of room for your beers.......

You know the Randall Warhead is great for that break the glass tone.

Maybe an old JCM 800. Man those things just sound great for metal.

I used to use alot of rack gear. I bought couple of old Plexi's and a JCM 800. That cured me of the "Frig".

Best of luck

Brian

I paly Metal/Punk Rock I play thruough a G15R CD. AVT 150 did you say look's good But If you have an Ibanez get a messa boogie they go good togheter (in my opinion) Do you like papa roach cause Jerry Horton is going to use an AVT 20 for his new album he said:

"IT's the best small combo I've ever heard. It sound's alot bigger than it is, in fact we're using it to write our new record."

I'd say if you're leaning toward's a marshall get the AVT 20.

------------------

I play WashBurn

And I use a Marshall

I play WashBurn

And I use a Marshall

You should be able to find a used Marshall JCM 800 in the price range you're looking for. Do you like the tone Zakk Wylde gets on "No More Tears"? That's what he uses. Get a 50 Watt model and you can really crank it. The plexi reissues (SLP 1959 and 1957) may be too midrangey and muddy for what you're looking for.

Gabriel

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

When I'm not using a Plexi half stack I use the JCM8OO 5O-watt combo with 2 12" speakers. A great amp. If I want a Plex sound (and don't want to haul a half stack) I run a POD through the effects return jack to access the power amp/speakers.

"The JCM 800 is great for tone and clarity but not distortion. (or am I wrong about that?)"

Yes, you're wrong about that. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

An 800 will crunch VERY nicely if you crank it. Get a PowerBreak and you're set.

Gabriel

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Archived