Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone Know of Built in Guitar Effects?

Calfee Jones

I am looking for effects I can build into my guitar. I would rather have the effect buit into the guitar so I can switch a toggle, instead of running across the stage to find the stompbox. I know there was a guitar back in the 80's that built effects into their guitar. I wonder if there is someone doing something like that now.

Do you know of anything like that?

- Calfee Jones

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kramer had a Ferrington designed guitar that could be had with an onboard, 6 channel distortion. It used a unique hex pickup. This allowed you to get the sweet harmonized distortion sound that Brian May and others recorded by overdubbing individual lines for melody and harmony. It also came equipped with pan controls, onboard, for each string. Very cool, but not a big seller. There's a late 1980's Guitar World with Eddie Van Halen on the cover, holding a custom pink and white, tye-dyed Kramer Ferrington.

Fender intrduced a line under the brand name, Heartfield. One model had onboard distortion, but it was strictly a mono affair. It also sounded like a Scholz Rockman circuit. Good, but no dynamics or contrasting tones. I think the model # began with RR__.

The difficulties with onboard effects are numerous. Between power requirements, routing out the guitar body, choosing a guitar that's popular & effects that are in demand is difficult at best. Then there's the considerations of which effects appear in what order. (As this greatly affects the tonality.)

Add to this the fact that effects boxes from Korg, Digitech, Line6, and many others are inexpensive. Many of them include backlit displays and treadles, for on the fly parameter changes. Take this into account and you begin to see why the market for onboard effects is basically, nil.

Still, if you're insistant, you can always tear the guts out of a pedal, route a space in your guitar, and mount the effect onboard. After you add all that weight AND change the timbre of your instrument, you can decide if having an effect onboard is more/less of a problem than walking back to your spot and stomping one.

Oh, yeah.. if your tastes change, try selling the guts of a pedal to someone else... not likely! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Regardless, good luck in your search.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I know there's a few kits, such as the Black Ice, for adding a distortion to your guitar. Also, I think Danelectro make some cheapo guitars with effects built in.

Putting effects inside the guitar doesn't make sense to me... when you break a string, and switch to your back-up guitar, there goes your effects! Also, isn't the whole point of pedals to be able to switch effects with your feet, leaving your hands free for playing?!

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

leslie west used to endose an MPC guitar with built in effects (is that the same as electra?) anyway, the danelectro innuendo has built in tremolo (it rocks), chorus(decent), slapback(it rocks) and distortion (would be cool except the gain jumps up 5 a factor of 10) all built into the guitar for 199 bucks...

-d. gauss

My apologies to anyone who attempted to find the Kramer Ferrington guitar I've described in several posts, most recently this one.

Upon visiting a local pawn shop yesterday, I discovered a 5 string stereo bass version, sans distortion. The name came back to me as I read the headstock: Kramer Ripley!!! If I remember THIS correctly, the first name of the luthier/collaborator with Kramer is Steve (Ripley).

Once again, my sincere apologies to any who were misled. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived