Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what's new on other forums

Scott from MA

Due to a recent topic here, I was curious to see what's happening on another "more popular" guitar forum. I hadn't visited this other forum (I won't mention names... we'll just call it "HCGF") in a long time. Last time I was there, the threads were the typical "Metallica rules!" topics. So, has anything changed at HCGF? Sadly, the answer is no. Here's a little sample of the current topics over there:

"So what would Hendrix be doing if he were alive today?"

"steve vai"

"What's a good Dream Theater or Symphony X cd to get?"

"Band of Gypsies vs. The Experience"

"Satch"

"Hetfield in REHAB!!!!!"

"Gibson vs. Jackson"

"Well, what about Incubus..."

"Who invented tapping...."

"What do you like to drink when you play guitar?"

And my personal favorite... In a thread called "why fender?", a guy asks, "Why do all buy those fenders... i feel it is a boring guitar, because everybody has one!" Just when I thought that I had read the world's stupidest statement, one of his peers chimes in with, "I agree with you completely. I'd never buy a Strat, because how can you stand out and be unique if you are playing the same guitar that everyone else in the world plays! Thats why, when buying my guitar, I walked past the Strat and chose my Ibanez."

Good choice my friend... nobody is playing an Ibanez! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scott--That's amazing.

The forums here are the first and only ones I have ever been involved with.

To be honest with you, after hearing the horror stories about 'flame wars' and whatnot, I have not been able to bring myself to even check the other ones out.

I guess I'm spoiled now. And damn happy about it!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Steve

Just a few quick points.

1. DREAM THEATER RULES !

2. KORN SUCKS!!!!

3. METALLICA SUCKS!!!

4. SABBATH RULES!!!!!!!

5. MAIDEN RULES

6. KROKUS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. SATRIANI USED TO RULE, NOW HE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. SANTANA ALWAYS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

9. DID I MENTION KORN SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. YOU ALL SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/redface.gif

------------------

-----------

KHAN (Always hopeful, yet discontent)

www.floydtribute.hpwebhost.com

This message has been edited by KHAN on 07-22-2001 at 10:09 PM

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Originally posted by ricknbokker:

To be honest with you, after hearing the horror stories about 'flame wars' and whatnot, I have not been able to bring myself to even check the other ones out.

I've spent time on quite a few other forums. There's good stuff on all of them, but you have to wade through piles of shit to find it. Mostly, on the other sites, I only posted to answer questions from beginners, or about building or repairs. I never took part in the "social" conversations, because they inevitably turned into childish arguments. Every forum had the "Strat vs. Les Paul" debate going on, and no matter which preference you stated, you were belittled for your choice. I made the mistake of choosing neither, and saying that I prefer Teles. Both sides responded with a unanimous "Teles are shit! You suck! You are a loser!"

Even the advice I would give often spawned flame wars. For example... on numerous occasions, people have posted asking for suggestions on a good BEGINNERS electric guitar. I would always post suggestions for well-built, low-priced guitars. Without fail, I would be flooded with replies from people claiming that "any guitar under $1000 is a piece of shit" and that I "don't know what I'm talking about." These people would actually be suggesting a Les Paul or a PRS to a teenage kid who has been playing for 3 months!

So... I'm glad I finally found this forum, where the members are more mature, and more tolerant of opposing opinions... where we can debate something without resorting to virtual-violence... where I can even take a few cheap shots at Tedster, and he knows I'm only joking! I've even become comfortable enough to post some useless crap like this! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Scott

Originally posted by KHAN:

HAHAHA... Krokus! I had forgot about those guys. I guess it's true... your mind blocks out traumatic experiences! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Scott

Scott

You were joking?

HAHAHAHAHA.... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Hey, what the heck is friendship if you can't give each other some shit now and then, right? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

<<-"So what would Hendrix be doing if he were alive today?"

-"steve vai">>

without any coffee yet, i misread the above as:

Q: "So WHO would Hendrix be doing if he were alive today?"

A: "steve vai"

-d. gauss

To be honest, I've seen some of the same (without flame wars of course) kind of posts here......

I normally only check out Craigs and the Guitar forum....but on a whim checked out the other forums on this board, and the same kind of posts exist there as well. If it's interesting we'll look and possibly post, regardless if it's supposed to be a drum forum or roadie forum or whatever! I'm just as guilty as anyone else for posting something possibly unrelated......guess it's just personal perceptions of what is related or not. Seems to be more middle aged folk here....and the teens hang elsewhere. I'm not above learning from a teenager, cause some of these guys are pretty incredible, and well spoken. I just saw a young band Saturday night that impressed me so much I'm trying to book them in a bigger hall so somebody can hear them. As somebody eluded to....you can tell the teen rant....from the Geritol rant.....WHO SAID THAT?????? : )

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by Scott from MA:

"So what would Hendrix be doing if he were alive today?"

He'd be in the House of Representatives.

Dream Theater doesn't suck. Suck is too polite a word.

Originally posted by d gauss:

without any coffee yet, i misread the above as:

Q: "So WHO would Hendrix be doing if he were alive today?"

A: "steve vai"

Well... that would actually make for a more interesting topic! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Scott

ok, i'm an idiot time..

i still have no idea how you folks post the quotes in big black type. and its probably about time to learn. could someone clue me in? i'm using AO-Hell btw which doen't let me do a lot of things that other browsers can... thanks in advance

-d. gauss

D... see the little pictures next to the date and time of each post? The one on the end, that looks like a piece of paper with an arrow on the side, is the "reply with quote" button. Push that (on the post you want to quote) and you will get a posting window with the UBB code for the quote filled in already. Just delete whatever text you DON'T want in the quote.

That's probably the world's worst explanation! Can somebody do better?

Scott

ok, i'm an idiot time..

i still have no idea how you folks post the quotes in big black type. and its probably about time to learn. could someone clue me in? i'm using AO-Hell btw which doen't let me do a lot of things that other browsers can... thanks in advance

-d. gauss

Click on the little page with the red arrow...it's along the row with the profile icons...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by kudyba:

Try THIS LINK .

Interesting link... cool and useful info, but they don't mention the QUOTE tags...

It's used like any other tag, "["QUOTE"]" to open the tag and "["/QUOTE"]" to close it...

Also try "["I"]" for italics "["/I"]" and "["B"]" for Bold "["/B"]"

the ("'s are only there so you can see the codes)

guitplayer

This message has been edited by guitplayer on 07-24-2001 at 12:15 AM

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

ok, i'm an idiot time..

-d. gauss

You've notice the "reply" icon above each message, right? It looks like a sheet of paper with a red arrow next to it. That will get you started.

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

You've notice the "reply" icon above each message, right? It looks like a sheet of paper with a red arrow next to it. That will get you started.

ha ha! look at me i'm quoting i'm quoting! we're gonna swap manly stories and in the morning, i'm making waffles!

thanks folks!

-d. gauss

Before I found this forum I found HC and downloaded some lessons-it`s good for that anyway. Never bothered with the chat-thank goodness!

I don`t give a crap about someone`s age, but if all they want to do is argue I feel like it`s wasting my time, especially if it`s just two different opinions. I don`t know about the other guy but I`m PAYING

to be online.

Originally posted by KHAN:

Just a few quick points.

1. DREAM THEATER RULES !

2. KORN SUCKS!!!!

3. METALLICA SUCKS!!!

4. SABBATH RULES!!!!!!!

5. MAIDEN RULES

7. SATRIANI USED TO RULE, NOW HE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. SANTANA ALWAYS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

9. DID I MENTION KORN SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. YOU ALL SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/redface.gif

Krokus Sucks!!

The hell you say http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Whats up Kahn

Thanks again for the the vid.

I really dug your CD's too!

Best

BK

Yeah the Harmony Central Board is a wasteland for the brain dead. I use to go their alot and found myself in ridiculous flame wars all the time. I got tired of it. It's either that or people asking the difference between a single coil and a humbucker. "Is Hendrix Over Rated?" Nothin' there folks not even if you wade through it all. Some intelligent discussion starts and the next thing you know somebody with malajusted behavior gets their feelings hurt. Then the personal attacks begin. I'll never bring up John Scofield again.

The Vintage Guitar board use to be cool until they changed their format. Then again that place was dying before the change. But for awhile there it was the place to be.

I was kicked off the Fender board for asking too many questions that didn't jibe with everyone's blind (Stepford like) aligence to Fender. Other that it wasn't bad. Just a bit too much rah-rah for Fender.

The Les Paul board is full of ignorant, intolerant, small town racists who don't get out enough to know when their being racist.

I dig the Guitar Forum which is the clone of the orginal Harmony Central board. Cool people, varied, and they realize that there are too few cool places to go, so there is an attempt there to be nice. Scrapes do happen but not very often. There is also support for the work of the players who present their material. A mutual admiration society if you will. A person can show off his stuff and get support, constructive critizism, and feel good about it. One guy from the board came to my gig the other night and I got him on stage with me. Great time. We later told everyone about it on the board. People were into it.

That doesn't happen at Harmony Central. They are vicious and juvenile in the worst way. And the so called cool neutral people are just as bad because they continue to stay, lurk, and never take anyone's back in a conflict.

This place is cool too.

------------------

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/144/oscar_jordan.html

Archived