Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

finger LICKIN Good

surreal

What's up ya'll? how do I develop my licks and Riffs without getting confused and frustrated? and if you guys and gals had 1 1/2 hours to practice what would you practice through the course of seven days?

I have more time to practice... I just want to be accurate enough for my dear and thoughtful friend Chip McDick... I mean McDonald

Thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement. if anyone ever has any question about martial arts just email me at deshichad@aol.com.i thought this is suppose to be a harmonious website. I guest I was wrong. For all of you who have nothing positive to say... e-mail it where the sun don't shine.

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

PS

tedster your the man. Bro thanks a lot

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uhh, thanks!...I've been gone a day or two...looks like you and Chip got off on the wrong foot. Haven't read the thread yet. Sorry...for the most part we are a harmonious forum group. But, every now and again, something happens where people take something the wrong way, or whatever, and then we're more like brothers and sisters than friends HAHAHAHAHA (meaning we fight like brothers and sisters).

Chip is a really good guitarist...really. Geez, and you guys were talking into Martial Arts, actually cool, I studied Kenpo for awhile. Need to get back into it. I really miss it. I think there are a lot of parallels between the way one studies Martial Arts and music, so if you're a Martial Artist, it should give you a bit of insight into how to practice musically.

I don't know where you're at musically, if you're a beginner, or more advanced, but, in Martial Arts, at the beginning levels, one practices rudimentary moves. The student can't yet "solo"...only respond to a given attack (like Tae Kwon Do One-Steps). Basic learned solos could be compared to Kata, where you take a series of defensive moves and put them together in a planned sequence. Great for learning and discipline, but a real altercation would never follow the confines of a Kata. Still, some measure of spontaneity is gained. A common goal seems to be pretty much improvisation, musically where one can pretty much fall in to any given sequence and improvise around it, just as in Martial Arts one would like to be able to spontaneously improvise effectively against any situation that may arise.

To that end, think of scales and patterns as basic moves, blocks, kicks, strikes, basic combinations. Put them together into a "Kata"...and hopefully, the improvisational light will shine.

Does that make any sense???

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I have a martial arts question; How would a round-house kick feel up side of your head ?

Just kidding. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif The people on this site are generally very nice and friendly, but from time-to-time it's just inevitable that you will get into a couple of scraps. It's best to just brush it off and keep posting.

Hey Surreal-sorry to hear about the turbulence, mon. Dunno what happened but people have mixed it up a bit here before, and they usually come away none the worse.

Sounds like you missed out on my thread `Frets of Fury` a little ways back-it was exactly about parallels-and occasional clashes-between the musical and martial arts. I`m still working on a sore wrist from a karate class a few weeks ago. Not to turn this into Black Belt mag or something, but how have the `two paths to perfection` been working out for you?

>>>McDick... I mean McDonald

-------------------

I think McDonalds tried to to test market the McDick sandwich in San Francisco and at Mardi Gras. But in the fast food buisness competition is stiff and they just couldn't get any penetration in the market. Oh well, they will just have to make due with the McRib(McShit) Sandwich.

Sorry...

------------------

-----------

KHAN (Always hopeful, yet discontent)

www.floydtribute.hpwebhost.com

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Originally posted by surreal:

tedster your the man. Bro thanks a lot

Yep... that Tedster's a real sweet guy. I understand he looks mighty cute in a dress too! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

(Sorry Ted... couldn't resist)

This message has been edited by Scott from MA on 07-18-2001 at 04:52 PM

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

if you guys and gals had 1 1/2 hours to practice what would you practice through the course of seven days?

I'll assume you're more of a beginner, so what I would practice is different that what you should practice.

For you... I would say to work on moveable chord forms throughout the neck. Besides helping to build your chord vocabulary, it will reinforce your knowlege of the notes on the neck. Riffs and soloing are much easier when you can find the note you're looking for at any position.

Steve's advice about appegiating chords is great too, and accomplishes much of the same thing.

Scott

Whatever you practic,e make sure you do it 3 times a week instead of only once for a very long time. Your brain goes over what you practice when it's over and keeps working on it in the back ground. When you come back to it next day or two, you're already better.

Take the first 15 minutes to practice boring mechanical things at slow tempos. That will get your hands working and you'll be done with that. Everything is easyer and more fun after that.

For serious practicing, 1 1/2 doesn't give you time to go in depth with a lot of things so make two days rotations of stuff, taking advantage of what I described above. For example:Monday: scales and chords Tuesday: arpegios and intervals patterns Wednesday: scales and chords, etc...

Make sure you set time to pick up stuff by ear off of music you like. Make sure you jam also. Just doing exercise and technical stuff can get depressing and non-inspiring. Music should be fun. At least a little!

If you spend time watching TV, take an un-plug electric and just do alternate pick on a note (while palm-muting it so it doesn't interfere with the TV). It's great to develop those repetitive things that have nothing to do with talent or music. It won't be as effective as if your were consciously doing it but it will put a few thousand pick strokes in the bank. Reflexes (essential for speed) come from repeated gestures. Just like blocking sequences fluidity in martial arts.

Emile

I have more time to practice... I just want to be accurate enough for my dear and thoughtful friend Chip McDick... I mean McDonald

this is suppose to be a harmonious website. I guest I was wrong. For all of you who have nothing positive to say

You posted that you wanted to be "outstanding" at the following:

"Rythm, soloing, creating new chord progressions and melodies.".

That's essentially everything.

If some guy walked into your dojo and announced "I want to be outstanding at defense, offense, create new styles and katas" what would be left to say, hmmm? "oh, ok, well, do this exercise everyday and come back next week"?

Note the civil reply to your remark.

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

This message has been edited by Chip McDonald on 07-19-2001 at 11:44 AM

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

surreal... I just went back to the other thread to check out what Chip had said, since I couldn't remember him saying anything too bad. Just as I had thought, it was really nothing. In fact, he said pretty much the same thing that I (and probably most others) had thought when reading your original post. You wanted to know what to practice to be good at EVERYTHING! I briefly considered slamming you for it myself, but I figured that you are a newbie and don't even know enough to realize how general the question was. In all fairness, you got off pretty easy... I probably would have said a lot worse.

You will find that most of the people on this board are good musicians with a lot of experience and lots of useful suggestions. Chip has impressed me as being one of these highly-knowledgeable people. I think you are doing yourself a great disservice by over-reacting to his comment. Do yourself a favor and just drop it.

This message has been edited by Scott from MA on 07-19-2001 at 01:28 PM

Scott

Originally posted by Scott from MA:

Yep... that Tedster's a real sweet guy. I understand he looks mighty cute in a dress too! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

(Sorry Ted... couldn't resist)

DAMN...Where'd you get a hold of that picture??? I paid the guy good money to destroy it...I was drunk, I swear....

WAIT A MINUTE...that was a KILT...I was going to the highland games...

"I've got no powerrrrr....Cap'n...she's burrrrrnin' up!"

Nope...a "dragster" I am not...hahahaha...

This message has been edited by Scott from MA on 07-18-2001 at 04:52 PM

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I would try to spend as much time as possible playing music and less time on scales and arpeggios. It's useful to have the facility to play the basic fundamentals but I regard them as warm up excercises. Play melodies instead, even playing with practice tapes or jam tapes is better I think. Guys who practice scales and arpeggios ad nauseum end up sounding like they are playing scales and arpeggios instead of actual music. Then they spend years trying to get past it. 1 1/2 hours a day is a little more than the minimum for improving your playing by the way. I used to practice 6 to 8 hours a day and often more than that. That was when I didn't have anything else to do. Now I have two kids and a full time job so I can't do it but I recommend practicing that much if you want to be a professional musician.

------------------

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

My Music: www.javamusic.com/freedomland

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Archived