Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

unsung guitar gods

D. Gauss

ok folks, every town has some amazing players who probably are better than half the folks in the charts. who are they (please don't include yourself) and where can folks find out more?... i'll start it off with a good one: here in new york city, besides the already super famous folks we got arthur neilson (www.arthurneilson.com), who currently is grammy nominated shemeika copeland's guitar player, but also played with cindi lauper and ronnie spector. think danny gatton meets albert king and you've got a good idea. saw him hold his own with les paul recently and it was lots of fun... anybody else?

-d. gauss

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although he recently left the city, Larry Mitchell spend a couple of years here in San Diego making some great music. He's an extremely fluid and melodic player, and has a wide range of technique.

Although he's primarily an instrumental music artist, his sound ranges from raging rock type sounds to clean acoustic playing. Very good song writer and performer.

He maintains a website www.larrymitchell.com... it's worth checking out his music.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

I recently mentioned Denny Breau, Lenny's younger brother, from Lewiston, Maine (www.turkeyhollow.com). Two other Maine guys are Mike Hayward who leads the Red Light Revue (www.redlightrevue.com), awesome blues/jazz player, and Mark Miller (www.markguitarmiller.com), who bills himself as a blues player, but - well, you decide. Mark has phenomenal technique with which, to my ears anyway, he occasionally goes overboard. But he deserves a wider audience, as do the other two guys I mentioned.

No jazz, no country, no fusion...but...

I HATE Kansas City's Bob Harvey. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif. He plays and sings like I wish I could. Dude could definitely give Warren Haynes a run for his money. He's opened for some notables here in KC...like John Entwhistle, etc. Problem is, he plays the same stupid club here in KC all the time, and the patrons are getting burnt out on him. But he's so frickin' good it makes me sick. And he writes good tunes too.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Andrew Stonehouse. Small town boy, loyal to his high school music buddies,now electrical engineer for one of the big three in Auburn Hills,Mich. Brilliant explosive smart...... I could go on and on.

Simply awesome.

Rick

When I was living in Connecticut there was a guy--I think he's still there--named Jimi Bell. Man could that boy play. Not only did he shred before Yngvie and Chris Impelletiri but you should hear him play blues and even chicken pick. He was 2nd in the running for the Ozzy gig that Zakk got and his band, Joined Forces, appeared in the Joan Jett/Michael J. Fox bomb called Light of Day. He also recorded an album with Geezer Butler and did some tours recently with some minor 80's metal band...

<>

ha! ha! ha! a bomb indeed. my old drummer was up for a part in that movie, and after going with him one of his callbacks, i got asked to read for a part in the movie as well (that was a bad sign right there). just think how much more it would have sucked if i'd been in it! anyway, i still have the script somewhere (by paul schrader who wrote raging bull).... favorite truly bad line in the movie of many truly bad lines: big, nasty club owner yells at band and says "you think you're hot pee, but you're really just cold poo!"

.... cold poo? ugh! nasty club owners always say "poo!" when they are mad!

-d. gauss

• 2 weeks later...
Even though the Canadians on this forum might know these two guys,may I suggest Kim Mitchell and Colin James.I like Kim Mitchell for his unique and expressive guitar style and chord work;as well as being an underrated songwriter.All his CDs are superb,but I especially like "Rockland" and "Aural Fixations".Also,I would like to mention SRV discovery Colin James;a smokin' blues guitarist and a solid singer.Check out "Bad Habits" and the "Fuse" CDs for some screamin' fretwork and great guitar tones.

Archived