Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

practice makes..... confusion

surreal

Can you guys give me an idea on how i should practice if i want to be outstanding in these areas of playing:

Rythm, soloing, creating new chord progressions and melodies.

thanks guys and gals

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, other people might have different ideas, but, I'd say you can't go wrong if you're practicing at least part of your time to some sort of beat box...metronome, something of that nature. Also, spend time playing along with CDs. That will give you a boost on your timing, like the metronome, and also (if you're really new) give you a chance to hear the mistakes you're making when compared with the guy on the record. And, like playing with a band, if you DO make a mistake, you won't be able to stop, and go back and fix it. You'll have to keep pushing onward and let the mistake become ancient history. Fix it the next time the passage comes around in the song. If you still blow it...stop the CD...and just work on the part over and over until it's up to speed. Then you're a lot closer...

As far as scales and such go, start slow, with a nice even tempo, and build your speed. A drum machine or metronome is invaluable there, too...

Just a couple ideas...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

<>

a great thing to do!

also.... to get out of a comfort zone (i.e. you're controlling what CD's you put on)...try this:

play along with the TV (every show has tons of music in it)

or

play along with the top 40 radio station, the dance, or the country station or whatever station you don't normally listen to...

you'll figure all kinds of music and learn a great bit about song contruction, plus you can sing along while your at it. and it's fun to play the killer metal solo that never was over the backstreet boys... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

-d. gauss

Yep, playing along with the radio is how I learned to play. I'd have to add that a great idea is to never put your guitar in the case at home....leave it on a stand. That way you're kinda drawn to it, and find that it's in your hands alot more. If you pack it away it's out of sight out of mind. I'm a self taught player who learned theory in Junior High and High School band, playing trombone in concert band and guitar in Jazz band. I still drive my wife batty because I love to play guitar while watching TV.......seems PERFECTLY NORMAL to me!
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by strat0124:

Yep, playing along with the radio is how I learned to play. I'd have to add that a great idea is to never put your guitar in the case at home....leave it on a stand. That way you're kinda drawn to it, and find that it's in your hands alot more. If you pack it away it's out of sight out of mind. I'm a self taught player who learned theory in Junior High and High School band, playing trombone in concert band and guitar in Jazz band. I still drive my wife batty because I love to play guitar while watching TV.......seems PERFECTLY NORMAL to me!

Amen, Strat...my acoustic is sitting right next to my favorite chair where all I have to do is pick it up. Which I always do.

Originally posted by surreal:

Can you guys give me an idea on how i should practice if i want to be outstanding in these areas of playing:

Rythm, soloing, creating new chord progressions and melodies.

thanks guys and gals

First, become Jimi Hendrix and then write some music and become rich and famous. Easy!

You don't really expect a simple answer to such general questions, do you?

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

I'd have to add that a great idea is to never put your guitar in the case at home....leave it on a stand. That way you're kinda drawn to it, and find that it's in your hands alot more.

I keep guitars out all over the house. That way, no matter where I am, there's one within reach.

I still drive my wife batty because I love to play guitar while watching TV.......seems PERFECTLY NORMAL to me!

Yup... I get yelled at all the time for playing while we are watching something. Also, playing while she's trying to tell me something... playing while talking on the phone... playing while eating dinner... you get the idea!

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Originally posted by Tedster:

Also, spend time playing along with CDs.

There's two things you can do with this: One (of course) is to play the guitar line. Great for learning chord progressions, and for working on your timing.

The other is to mimic the vocal line. I have students do this when they want to learn how to solo. It helps develop their ear, and at the same time teaches them something about melodic soloing.

------------------

Scott

(Massachusetts' only Athiest Republican)

Scott

Originally posted by Scott from MA:

There's two things you can do with this: One (of course) is to play the guitar line. Great for learning chord progressions, and for working on your timing.

The other is to mimic the vocal line. I have students do this when they want to learn how to solo. It helps develop their ear, and at the same time teaches them something about melodic soloing.

Man, your line beneath your name "mass' only atheist Repub" killed me.....almost fell out of my chair chuckling! I have a good bud who lives outside Boston, get this, his name is Winship Cleveland Fuller III. Probably the reason we all call him Lanny!

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

his name is Winship Cleveland Fuller III. Probably the reason we all call him Lanny!

Damn! Now THAT'S a name! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Glad I could give you a laugh. The other day I overheard someone refer to people from MA as "good Christian Democrats". I figured I better stand up and be counted!

------------------

Scott

(Massachusetts' only Athiest Republican)

Scott

I read that Joe Pass once suggested that budding jazz players learn as many tunes as they possibly can. I think this is good advice for any player, any style of music. Obviously it worked for him.

Learning tons of songs is a good idea for any style of playing. You have to build a vocabulary of progressions and melodies before you can worry about creating new ones. A friend of mine has a cool approach to it-he believes in learning from both ends of the scale-take the most difficult songs you can deal with, put them in a stack with a bunch that you can play after a short time, and work through all of them.

In general, I would try taking things one at a time, at least until you have all the basics down (if you don`t already). Today work on chords, tomorrow rhythms, the day after melodies-focus is really important.

Learn by ear, take lessons, quit your lessons, play in bands, don't play in bands, pratice scales then learn not to use 'em, learn arpegios, sing what you play, buy magazines, jam, improvise, practice boring repetive stuff at ridiculusly slow tempo, definitely work on your time, try anything, YOU CANNOT GO WRONG ANY APPROACH IS GOOD.

Just fuckin' do it.

Harsh?

You wanna be outstanding. Outstanding (not just good) players have all obsessively practiced and played 'till the cows come home. And then some.

BTW: the cool thing is you don't have to be outstanding to make good music or become famous for that matter.

Emile

Originally posted by surreal:

Rhythm, soloing, creating new chord progressions and melodies.

Well, if you want to be OUTSTANDING, you should hook up with a good teacher and follow their advice diligently. This will allow you to progress faster if for no other reason than the fact that it will keep you from practicing mistakes and developing improper technique.

NOTE 1: Some guy who can play a few cool licks down at the local beer garden is not necessarily a good teacher. Find someone who teaches the better players in your area, preferably someone who's spent some time in school, or at a minimum, who has studied with several teachers over the course of their career.

NOTE 2: If you hem and haw and mutter things like, "Well, I don't really want to study with a teacher," then you don't really want to be OUTSTANDING, because you are openly refusing to pay the price of success.

Other suggestions...

- Find some music you like and try to figure out how it works. Not just the guitar parts. Listen to the drums and bass and how it all fits together. And don't just focus on notes. Pay attention to dynamics (loud, soft, accents), phrasing, tone, etc. An outstanding musician understands how to recognize and apply all of these elements.

- Pick up one or two book/CD packages that teach you as you play along. Choose topics that interest you.

- Plan your practice time. Write down a list of objectives that you'd like to accomplish that day and make sure you spend a little time on each of them.

- Work on your weaknesses. If you don't know what your weaknesses are record youself playing a song or an exercise. Listen to the playback and note which passages sound rough (less than perfect). Be honest with yourself without being too harsh. This analysis will pay big dividends as you progress. Play these rough passages VERY SLOWLY with PERFECT technique. Eventually, that perfect technique will become automatic. That's when the fun really starts.

- Spend some time each day playing with a metronome or a beat box, but don't use it ALL the time. Record yourself. Are you really grooving?

- Learn about music theory (chords, scales, etc.) even if you have to buy a book and teach yourself (be patient). Books/CD's on learning jazz will help with this, even if you have no interest in ever playing jazz.

Good luck! The fact that you asked this question indicates that you're serious about learning. Excellent! Stick with it.

There is a point however where you have to be resigned to the fact that there are some things you're gonna be or not ever gonna be proficient on........and some you're just not gonna feel. All the teachers in the world can't help you express that. There's nothing wrong with being a fantastic rhythm player.....or fingerstylist. Never heard James Taylor do monster leads....he seems happy. Find your niche and work it till the cows come home. There's also the utility men, who do a little of everything. There is no ONE SET WAY.....just find yours and run with it. Above all, enjoy yourself. My guitar has always been my security blanket and brings joy even on the crappiest of days.

if you can, get yourself in an informal band/jam situation and try to make sure you are the "worst" musician in the band. surrounding yourself with good players always makes you play better and forces you to learn... or else!

-d. gauss

Dear brother.....

To be outstanding in all those areas is a worthy goal! Modern science tells us (for what it's worth) that some folks learn with the ear, some folks learn with the eye, some folks learn by trial. You can fiddle around trying to determine which learning style fits you best, or, find someone who has what you want, ask them how they got it, then do what they did.

This doesn't take into consideration certain natural abilities, and the contribution of those abilities,is the topic of frequent and often heated debates. I suspect that those of us that place a premium on God given talent, do so in order to elevate ourselves. Those of us that put a premium on skills that mimic or provide technical excellance, may do so to elevate ourselves. My skills we're given to me by someone, either the creator of the universe, or the creator of the technician. In either case they were given.

Some of us have spent thousands of hours and dollars in private lessons, someone gave us the time, and the money to do so.

If you want it..... Go get it. And don't stop trying until it's firmly in your possession. ... That'll be about the day you trade yer skin for wings!

In any case play, play more than anything else. Play.

Rick

A good teacher is very helpful. Find one that can play the way you dream of playing but also make sure they are a good techer with experience. Practice all day and all night. If you get bored or you feel that it is difficult to play for more than an hour or so you should really be concerned. Taking on new challenges could be a remedy for this, you may be bored with your old shit too but I've noticed that most really good players spend a lot of time playing. If you can get into a situation jamming or working with players much better than you it is a very good way to learn but you have to be ready to have your ego shaved off. This is not such a bad thing in the long run though. Good luck and just play until your fingertips are sore, then play more.

------------------

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

My Music: www.javamusic.com/freedomland

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Originally posted by d gauss:

if you can, get yourself in an informal band/jam situation and try to make sure you are the "worst" musician in the band. surrounding yourself with good players always makes you play better and forces you to learn... or else!

-d. gauss

Excellent advice, Mr. Gauss...

Cop licks from other players - You'll learn how they do it.

Learn lotsa tunes - You'll learn chords (very important).

Play with other musicians - You'll learn how to interact with other musicians and get to apply what you have studied and learned.

That's not everthing but it's a start.

Archived