Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wah wah and the funk to go with it

Dirty_Dave

Hey everyone, anyone,

I just bought my first wah wah pedal,( I've been playing guitar for a couple years), and I was wondering if anyone knew of any sites that explain the movement of the pedal related to the strumming to produce wah-funk rythyms, whether it be with the strings muted all the time for the chuka-chuka, or just hendrix style licks. As a side note, can anyone tell me what kind of equipment Brad Nowell(sublime) used, or the equipment Bob Marley used? Any info would be appreciated.

-Dirty Dave

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, quite actually, I don't think there is any such thing. It's basically "Play with it until it gets the sound you want"...really, honestly...although, I have heard of mods people have done on wahs to get more of the cool midrangey subtle wah as opposed to the extreme "Shaft" wah. All personal taste...

And, actually, I don't have a wah. I've played with 'em before, but I've never owned one...'cause I just sorta always shied away from effects. But, I probably oughta get one, huh?...

"They say that Shaft is a ba-aad muthaf*&^er (WATCH YO MOUTH)"...

bada bump...bada bump...badada bummmp...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Dirty_Dave:

related to the strumming to produce wah-funk rythyms, whether it be with the strings muted all the time for the chuka-chuka, or just hendrix style licks.

Ted's right. It's not something that should be "studied". I don't see the need to study it - just stick it under your foot and go, it's easy enough.... If you're not hearing it in your head than you shouldn't read about it IMO.... Just do what you hear in your head. It's much like the gas pedal in a car: you don't think "I must apply pressure to this pedal so that the car will transport me to the location I'm staring at down the road" - you instinctively do it. That's how the wah should be.

As a side note, can anyone tell me what kind of equipment Brad Nowell(sublime) used, or the equipment Bob Marley used? Any info would be appreciated.

-Dirty Dave

Nowell used old Ibanez Sabres and Marshall 900's with an ADA MP1 preamp I think. Also had some kit guitar as well I think... Why I know this I don't know other than I remember it because I have Sabres. Marley used a Twin (reverb cranked)with a Les Paul Jr. I believe...?

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Chip said

>>>It's much like the gas pedal in a car: you don't think "I must apply pressure to this pedal so that the car will transport me to the location I'm staring at down the road" - you instinctively do it. That's how the wah should be.

I was thinking of another analogy...a bit more, er, lewd...but you put it in a family-friendly perspective. Thanks, Chip... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

buy the weigh,i'm having trouble stringin my guitar also how to hold a pick and while i'm @it how do you plug these darn things in and to what?is there a book or bible type things that i can by or find @the library so that i can master these things.thanx in advance! i have a "grand way telestar guitar" and i think it uses 6(?) strings : ) sorry...
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Dirty Dave: For the Shaft/disco rhythm sound, you want to play a steady 16th-note rhythm figure with the wah in the center or back position (more bass), then push it forward for the treble WACK either on the 2 and 4 of the bar, or just on the 4. But keep steady with your rhythm strumming; let your toe do the accents. Hope this helps.

Archived