Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A Moment of Silence for Chet Atkins

aeon

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah... sigh... I'm still not over John Lee Hooker.

I can only hope the passing of dudes like these will spark some media coverage that will interest younger folks in hearing more of them. Their music, at least, can live forever.

Thanks Chet.

--Lee

i was @ john lee hooker's this afternoon when i heard and its just so sad-what a guitar guy he was-i never saw him live but between records,austin city limits,charlie rose plus a video:'rare performances 1955-1975' i have come to love and appreciate every lick. ~ rip chester~...
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

I'm of a generation when Chet was the main ingrediant

in my desire to learn to play guitar. Mr Atkins is the main

staple of the roots that mark my sense of musicianship.

For me, after I got some age on me, his greatest gift to me

was his humility. I've heard and read in many articles and

interviews, usually regarding other hot guitar players that

he was doing recordings with, that there we're so many guitar

players out there that could just blow him away that it could

scare him to death.... and there probably was. But, Chet's

recordings, with his now seemingly simple licks and formations,

are etched in my mind for life, while those of other players

are not recalled so easily.

His greatest gift to my musicianship was a sense of "taste", the

power of the "understated" and that "less is more".

God bless you Mr. Atkins and thanks.

------------------

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnermusic

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

NO-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Sigh. I had heard Mr. Atkins was in poor health for awhile. Rest easy, Chet...

And Rob, I just saw a taped interview with the late Mr. Lemmon last night. Quite a guy. Loved his movies, and the way he made such an easy transition between comedy and drama. He'll be missed. Cool thing is, like Mr. Atkins, quite a legacy left behind in film and on record for both of them. They'll be around for many years to come.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Man... Chip and I posted empty post... I thought it was kind of silence or minute of silence. But, obviously, someone didn't! We got deleted! (our posts)... We tried to show some respect but we were kind of speechless... It wasn't mistake... If it was, we would edit it or something... So, here is from Chip and me... Great lose for all musicians
If it sounds god, just play the darn thing

Originally posted by Mile:

Man... Chip and I posted empty post... I thought it was kind of silence or minute of silence. But, obviously, someone didn't! We got deleted! (our posts)... We tried to show some respect but we were kind of speechless... It wasn't mistake... If it was, we would edit it or something... So, here is from Chip and me... Great lose for all musicians

What he said.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

What he said.

Well, Chip, I noticed your "empty" post in this thread. I posted empty post too. I didn't have a slightest clue what to say but I wanted to pay tribute to mr. Atkins. And our posts were deleted (by administrators I presume). I was bitching about that. If your post was accidentally empty, sorry. Mine

wasn't. That's what it was all about!!!

If it sounds god, just play the darn thing

In 1995, he told The Los Angeles Times that the reason he was still performing on guitar was because he was still trying to "get it right."

"I've never expressed myself musically the way I would like," he said. "Because of that, I've had a long career. I've never been able to sit back and say, `Wasn't I great? Listen to the one I made in 1958!' "

-Chet Atkins

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Chet Atkins' music was never out of style - it existed outside of style and fashion, which is where the best music exists.

Whatever is on TV, whatever is on the radio, whatever is on the charts, people will always, ALWAYS enjoy smooth and pretty guitar playing.

The guy was great, and his career is a noble example to us all.

I just came from Chet Atkins funeral.

Vince Gill, Steve Warner, Mark Knopfler, Marty Stuart, Jerry Reed were just some of the Pallbearers. I've been playing since I was 8, the whole experience made me want to come home and do some serious practicing. Something that was said during the Eulogy was that Chet had said a few years ago that after he retired from performing he didn't practice much, but enjoyed just holding his GTR against his body as he plucked a string he could feel it vibrate inside his body reminding him that he was alive. It was very apparent that he knew his music would live, long after he was gone. If someone will tell me how to post a picture, I'll scan the program and post it for anyone interested in seeing.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in Nashville for five years and recently moved back to Missouri. About a year ago I ran into Chet downtown. We only talked for five minutes or so but it was one of the most meaningful days of my life.

Unbelievably gracious and humble christian man.

Archived